All reviews port st wild coast few beers thanks guys jungle view self catering unit relaxed vibe a great place to stay amazing views backpackers locals accommodation mates chalet campsite hike sa
Reviewed January 8, 2013

It was my second time visiting Amapondo after spending honeymoon there in 2011. My first visit was amazing and I knew it would be difficult to top it the second time round. Amapondo did not disappoint one bit. There are too many activities to fit into a one week visit, which makes it a worth while for going a second time or just stay longer. Highlights are The Gap and Blow-holes, The waterfalls, 3rd Beach and The wild-coast hiking trail to Coffee bay.

We made a lot of friends and memories.

I would recommend Amopondo to ANYONE. Any age, background, financial status etc.

The Transkei and Amapondo just takes you back to the simple things in life. Exactly what you need when on holiday.

Amapondo will definitely see me again and again and again

• Stayed: December 2012
Amapondo, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thanks for the wonderful review. Its great to hear all the positive things you said about Port St Johns, which is such an interesting little town. Port St. Johns boasts some of the most beautiful natural scenary in the country, and I just love the entrance road that lies along the Great Mzimvubu River that flows through the spectacular gorge known as the "Gates of St Johns" into the River Mouth. These "Gates of Port St Johns" are formed by two impressively high sandstone mountain peaks that lie on either side of the beautiful Mzimvubu River. Did you know that as Leonardo DiCaprio lay dying in the last scene of the film Blood Diamond, he wasn't actually in Sierra Leone. He was actually lying on a rock on top of Mount Thesiger, the Sandstone peak on the right hand side of the river as you drive in. At Amapondo we offer Sundowner trips up to the old landing strip on top of the mountain where we love to take photos of our guests lying on that very same rock!

Port St Johns has a fascinating history too. It was established in the 1880s by the British after negotiations with local Pondo chiefs for the rights to use the river banks and the surrounding area. The river mouth was used as a port for many years until the 1940's when silt deposits built up causing the river to become too shallow for vessels.

Port St. Johns is known as the centre of tourism on the Wild Coast, and is fondly called the "Jewel of the Wildcoast". We love to show off all this beautiful nature, the lovely beaches, and all the interesting wildlife. Just this morning I had monkeys playing all around my bedroom.

Life at Amapondo is certainly an adventure, and after this busy season I am extremely proud of all our wonderful staff that made everyone so comfortable, cooked such yummy food, made delicious coffees, smoothies and milkshakes, arranged such good activities, entertained and interacted with our guests.

We hope to see you again not too distant in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The place itself could be a lot better, but several things definitely need a makeover, i.e. the bathrooms, the dorms, the hammocks and especially the kitchen (which was a mess). It's just a normal process that after a few years you have to replace certain things. To be fair, it's not entirely the staff's fault, because the guests don't tidy up their stuff all the time.
However, the hostel itself has a good vibe, a nice bar/common area and is located just two min from a wonderful beach. With a few renovations the place could be a 5 star backpackers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Amapondo, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thanks for your honest review and also the great points you made about the vibe here at Amapondo. My wife and I have recently bought Amapondo (4 months ago), and we are aware of all the maintenance issues. We have already tackled a lot of these and made some improvements, but I know that there is a lot still to be done. We are working hard and spending lots of money to fix the place up, and special attention is being focused on our bathrooms, the dorms, the hammocks, the backpacker communal kitchen, as well as painting here and there, our parking area, and lots lots more. We even plan to put in a swimming pool this year and turn Amapondo into the 5-star Backpackers you allure to.

I am so grateful for our wonderful staff and managers who have been such a great support throughout this busy season. I am also impressed with the great guests that brought, and continue to bring such positive energy here, and help to create the amazing vibe that Amapondo is known for.

Thanks once again for your review and positive criticism. Amapondo is striving onward and upward and I am sure that when you return, you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Highly recommend ensuite cabin at the back if you are a family/want a quieter stay, gorgeous views from there too.
Bar food fresh and very good, welcoming stafff, very hang-outable.
We'll stay again if passing that way.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ZolaPola
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff is really friendly and help you with every problem you have.you have a stunning view from the bar and they offer really good activities. Its just a few minutes walk to the beach and to bars and restaurants. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012
AmapondoBackpackers, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thanks for coming and we hope to see you again in the near future...

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were a group of 6 that stayed at Amapondo for 2 nights. And we enjoyed it so much. It was very peaceful and a great environment to relax.

It was the start of our holiday before we did the 5 day hike to Coffeebay.

The staff was very friendly and showed us some of the local attractions. The dog(Nandi) was our guide to the waterfall.

Relaxing in the Hammock while reading a book, while overlooking 2nd peace felt like a peace of heaven.

There are also plenty of kitchen utilities. We made food the one night.

I will recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends