All reviewsport stwild coastlive entertainmentfew beersthanks guysunique placejungle viewself catering unitrelaxed vibea great place to stayan amazing viewbackpackerslocalsvibesaccommodationbackpackingmates
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Absolutely brilliant spot! Outstanding natural beauty combined with a friendly and warm welcome makes for a near perfect backpacking experience. This place is perfect for a few days of total chillout. Went for a night and ended staying for 3! Maybe not the cleanliest of places, but if you manage to put that aside, there's nothing to keep you from enjoying the atmosphere and recharging your batteries.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
AmapondoBackpackers, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hi, thanks for your comments and I am glad you had a good time here. You mentioned that Amapondo may not have been that clean whilst you were here. I have recently bought the business and it did go through a period where there was a lack of care for finer details. This resulted from a change of ownership and staff etc. However, as the new owner, I can assure you that my wife and I are striving to improve the business and bring it back to life. After only a month here we have had a lot of comments about how great (and clean) the place is looking. And whats more - the atmosphere still carries that special Amapondo Vibe. You are very welcome to come back and have another blast here with us....

Neil

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Amapondo is a sereal and tranquil place for a good getaway from the city life; with a wonderful atmosphere, excellent location and great people, and has a creative and authentic eco-friendly decor. The new down-to-earth and super-friendly owners add a spark of life to the place and make customers feel at home.
Whether you are a discerning traveler, an ethusiastic adrenalin junkie or party animal, or just seeking solace, this place comes highly recommended with losts of activities to suit your mood.
So if you're lookin for that great escape, Amapondo is the place to be!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I share the same feeling as a lot of people who were there :
Don't look too closely at the cleanliness and bring your own sheets or sleeping bag, the smell of the beds in dormitories can make you want to go sleeping on the beach. Same for the fridge's smell... it will take away your appetite. Dorms are of 12 beds, quite a lot, and no lock.
And Internet did not work.
I spent only one night, so I can't say anything about the team and the atmosphere. But generaly people were nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
AmapondoBackpackers, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Hi, thanks for your comments. I would like to let you know that my wife and I (Neil and Amanda) have just bought Amapondo only a few weeks ago. We have been focusing specifically on cleaning the place up because when we bought it recently, it was feeling quite unloved and a bit run down. I guarantee you that if you come back and visit now, you will be pleasantly surprised at what we have done to the place. As we nurture Amapondo, we will strive to make everyone's visit an unforgettable experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had an awesome experience at Amapondo and loved the friendly staff. Its a great place to stay with a variety of rooms including dormitories, double rooms, and also private cottages. The food was great, the atmosphere was lovely, and they even organized a Full Moon Party, which was great fun. And on one of the days they organized a hike to a nearby waterfall, and the wonderful dogs they have there guided us all the way whilst a friendly guide from the Backpackers told us about the beautiful fauna and flora of this amazing area of the Transkei. A most interesting and wonderful experience. Highly recommended

Room Tip: The double rooms are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The dorms where clean and spacious with comfortable mattresses. Good place to party with a creative eco-friendly deco.
Good food and super friendly staff, who was very helpful to help us organizing our hikes.
Good address in Port St Johns