All reviewsport stwild coastlive entertainmentfew beersthanks guysunique placejungle viewself catering unitrelaxed vibea great place to stayan amazing viewbackpackerslocalsvibesaccommodationbackpackingmates
Reviewed March 13, 2012

stayed here before and after a trek, the staff were very friendly and helpfull, kept any unwanted items for us while trekking and stocked up on lasagne for 17 of us when we returned! good enterainment in the evenings and felt very comfortable! want to return :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emily W
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Not many options for Port St Johns and a girl on the same bus as me recommended this place, but when we got there even she said the place was very rundown since she was last there.
The dorm was awful, matresses were as hard as the floor and overall gave the sensation that it would be better to sleep on the beach. No lockers or keys for the room...
They had free internet though and the food was really good and affordable.
Locals are always hagging around the place, not a problem but with not being able to lock our room, felt a little unsafe as anybody can walk around.
Dogs from the backpackers will follow you around and protect you from unwanted people trying to sell you stuff on the beach! :) You have your personal guard dogs!
If you're out of options, just take you're on sheets or sleeping bag and don't look too closely at things...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Amixtika
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Amapondo had the best showers....I had been traveling from Durban to Cape Town and staying in many places along the way.....amapondo showers were the best. I enjoyed my stay, lovely vibe and use of space..... I will go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Violetdear
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed there with my girlfrriend and we had decent accommodation, but did not enjoy our sty. The beaches which where not close and Port St. Johns in general don't make you feel safe, as in many places in South Africa you are hassled and bothered. The backpackers is really excatly what it is called a small backpackers which is a bit dirty, noisy and has a drinking and stoners atmosphere. We have seen many single backpackers being loud and partying, but did not meet any interesting people nor had a good conversation. The upkeep lacked and if you where looking for a backpackers party place you may have been in the right place. I would not come back and can not recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John H
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I've just stayed here for 8 days and really loved it. The place is run by very friendly people, most of them are locals. The bar/restaurant is run by a young and vibrant crew and the food is delicious, also from an Italian perspective.
I stayed in a single room which was ideal and the bathroom facilities where always neat and well kept.
I spent hours just reading books chilling out on an hammock, playing pool or poker, where i badly lost!
I did most of the activities organized by the staff. All good especially canooing down the river to a beautiful secluded beach and then back to have a braai on the river shore. Thanks Tim!
The walk to the waterfall is a must.
The place is children friendly and there are childrens living there.
This is my fifth trip to SA and Amapondo is a place where i would definitely come back.
Cristian