All reviewsport stwild coastlive entertainmentfew beersthanks guysunique placejungle viewself catering unitrelaxed vibea great place to stayan amazing viewbackpackerslocalsvibesaccommodationbackpackingmates
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed there with my girlfrriend and we had decent accommodation, but did not enjoy our sty. The beaches which where not close and Port St. Johns in general don't make you feel safe, as in many places in South Africa you are hassled and bothered. The backpackers is really excatly what it is called a small backpackers which is a bit dirty, noisy and has a drinking and stoners atmosphere. We have seen many single backpackers being loud and partying, but did not meet any interesting people nor had a good conversation. The upkeep lacked and if you where looking for a backpackers party place you may have been in the right place. I would not come back and can not recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John H
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I've just stayed here for 8 days and really loved it. The place is run by very friendly people, most of them are locals. The bar/restaurant is run by a young and vibrant crew and the food is delicious, also from an Italian perspective.
I stayed in a single room which was ideal and the bathroom facilities where always neat and well kept.
I spent hours just reading books chilling out on an hammock, playing pool or poker, where i badly lost!
I did most of the activities organized by the staff. All good especially canooing down the river to a beautiful secluded beach and then back to have a braai on the river shore. Thanks Tim!
The walk to the waterfall is a must.
The place is children friendly and there are childrens living there.
This is my fifth trip to SA and Amapondo is a place where i would definitely come back.
Cristian

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Cristiancassetta
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed here for a magical few months and Second Beach, Port St Johns is still my favourite place in the world. Tim and Annie, the owners, are warm, friendly and welcoming to everyone. The atmosphere for the whole time I was here was brilliant as it attracts cool people. Having travelled across South Africa, I can assure you that the standard of dorm and double rooms here are excellent, comfortable and clean and it is fantastic value for money. The bar is brilliant for cocktails, parties or chilling in the hammock. The beach is beautiful and Amapondo offers a lot of trips & activities (some free) and opportunities for volunteering in the local community. I volunteered in a care home for street children (Eluxolweni) & the local primary school & it was one of the best experiences of my life. It is far quite far from town but there's always people driving to get a lift with and the isolation adds to the magic of the experience. The food is delicious. I haven't got a bad word to say about this place - only that if you want a 5* hotel, don't come here - if, however, you want a fun & tranquil time & to meet great people, book it now or just rock up!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a weekend in the low season and had a really good time. We stayed in one of the double rooms. The room was basically just a (not too comfortable) bed, but there were plenty of couches and hammocks on the patio to relax on. We also shared a communal bathroom (there were very few travelers there at the time though) so there were no queues, but, be warned, there are outside showers. Literally outside, with only jungle on one side to protect your modesty. Being in a tropical climate, there are also loads of bugs, esp mozzies & spiders, but the room had a fan and a mosquito net so we survived.

We catered most of our meals for ourselves but the bar/restaurant serves food all day with vegetarian options for all meals and the meal we had there was good, much better than some of the restaurants in town.

We also went on one of the hikes offered daily. A bit of false advertising on the website, they were not free, but I didn't mind paying the friendly local guide for a generous 2.5 hours of his time. There was no way we would have found the waterfall on our own. The hike itself was quite a workout, more like jungle bashing than hiking in some parts, but the jump off the waterfall was worth it.

Amapondo is right on the road to Second Beach, which is walking distance if you don't have your own transport. Second Beach is definitely a party beach and, we were told, gets absolutely packed over December. Think taxis blaring house and kwaito music in the parking lot, no space to swim in the water and loads of people braaiing at the recreational facilities. Although the beach is really amazing, fine white sand, crystal blue waters, sadly the next morning there were beer bottles and broken glass strewn everywhere.

The Eastern Cape is also the poorest province in South Africa, so don't be surprised if you get heckled everywhere you go, shops, beach, etc. That being said though, even though I am South African, going to Port St Johns was like going to a different universe. It is absolutely beautiful, and on a totally different vibe. We left feeling relaxed and restored. I would definitely recommend PSJ to everyone and Amapondo is a good backpackers to crash at for a few nights, as long as you're not expecting luxurious accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderingRobyn
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Port St Johns very strange and unique place, and to get even average accommodation is not easy. Lots of traps in this little rustic town.

We drove from place to place and ended up with Amapondo Backpackers, stayed for 5 nights and we were really happy with the place, wonderful staff and view.

We stayed in the Chalets in the back and it was a different experience to a 5 star hotel, more rustic but more than adequate for an adventure holiday.

The bar area is great even for kids and we enjoyed the barman Mr Clint even thou he took all our money on poker night.

If you have a family and you can get one of the chalets I won’t look any further.

Just don’t go fishing in Poenskop you will be harassed from when you stop on the beach until you leave. 3rd and 2nd Beach is better for fishing.

And try to bring everything with you so that you don’t need to do any shopping in town because this is not Camps Bay Spar, you won’t have fun shopping. Absolute chaos!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family