“Never Again!”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I and my wife spent 4 days at the Crown Plaza Resort at Lake Placid. The rooms were nice, the employees were friendly and helpful. The location was close to all the local restaurants and pubs. That's the best part. Now for the other, if you want to actually sleep there forget it! Young children, my guess 6-10 years old run freely through the hallways all hours of the night without any adult supervision. I conveyed my complaint to the front desk, but I never felt that anything was done to rectify the problem. One night, there were four children leaning against my door yelling and having a grand old time. If it were not for this problem, I would of rated the Crown Plaza much higher. But, as it was, I couldn't wait to leave and I will never be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe021150
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Lake Placid

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We traveled with 4 kids, ranging in age from 1-4 for a visit to nearby North Pole. The hotel was great. The staff allowed us to check in upon arrival at 1230pm. We had a family suite overlooking the Mirror Lake region and downtown Lake Placid. The room was great--- A king bed with Tv, then shared a bathroom with 2 double beds and we had 2 cribs in the room as well. Only drawback to the room was 1 bathroom. Refrigerator and Microwave a big plus. We used the indoor pool, was nice kids had fun. The great room with the fireplace was nice. Beds comfortable. The room we stayed in could use some updating but overall, well worth the money spent.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We recently just returned from the Crowne Plaza Lake Placid and it was one of the best Thanksgivings my family has ever had. We arrived on Thanksgiving and was greeted by a friendly front desk staff who was more than accommodating and pleasant. After getting settled in we went to the great room and had one of the nicest afternoons. The view was spectacular and staff was great. Melissa who was at the bar went out of her way to take care of us and make our stay the best possible. Later we went to the Thanksgiving buffet in the restaurant which was excellent. Even though it was busy the food was hot, good and a wide variety which made everyone happy. The next day we went to the restaurant for breakfast and the staff remembered us and asked how our holiday was and even took the time to talk to the kids.(many places and waitstaff never even acknowledge them) Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious enough for a family which is great.
Having traveled a lot for business and leisure I think for the price and location you can't beat the Crowne Plaza in Lake Placid and with the exceptional service it puts them above some of the other hotels in the area by far.
I would definitely recommend and we will be going back again soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I read some of the negative reviews on this hotel and felt very strongly they were unwarranted so I am writing the facts below after I stay at this hotel on November 27, 2010.

While researching for a place to stay in Lake Placid I reviewed all the hotels online and reviewed my options. We were looking for a nice hotel that was walking distance to shopping/dining and the LP arena for the ice show. I also wanted a well priced hotel for this visit.

We have stayed in several LP hotels and have spent $750 a night for a romantic cabin with a feather mattress (Lake Placid Lodge) to $1250 per night for a luxurious room at (The Point) now closed.

Take into consideration your budget and what the intention of your trip will be; if you are looking to shop, visit, ski and just play this place is wonderful. I would not necessarily recommend this hotel for a romantic honeymoon as it is kid friendly.

We booked a standard room with a lake/mountain view. We had two comfortable beds with great pillows, step out balcony, large bathroom, microwave, refrigerator, it was clean, comfortable and looked like it had been recently refurbished. I thought the nice touch of adding ear plugs for the light sleepers and eye shades for the nappers was a great touch. The parking is convenient and you can certainly drive your car to the front entrance for unloading your luggage. The common areas are beautiful and the staff is warm and friendly.

I felt bad about some of the negative reviews I read so I spoke to the manager upon leaving the hotel to let him know how well our trip was and I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Lake Placid for our type of trip, shopping/ playing/skiing etc.

The staff was friendly and helpful, from the check-in counter to the cleaning staff to the Manager.

Prehaps (a few) of those bad reviewers had an unfortunate visit but as of November 2010 we had a very nice visit although short.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed at the Crown Plaza in October - it is a tale of one hotel with two different characters. The Adirondack Wing were we stayed is what you expect from a Crown Plaza and a little more - the wing is contained from the the older wing by a key access door, it also has a separate car park. The older wing approached from the main reception has seen better days and seemed to house the residents from large conferences, or whilst we were there, the kids from the AmCan Hockey event.

Our room was modern, clean, spotless, spacious with a fireplace and balcony overlooking the mountains and ski jump. The bathroom had a large walk in shower and double jacuzzi (only negative is that there was too much clutter on the bathroom counter ie. coffee machine and other sundries - on a green note - is it necessary to have 4 sets of towels in one bathroom!).

The swimming pool we didn't try out as it was full of kids - the gym wasn't much cop - probably better off going for a run outside or do a few reps of the hill leading up to the hotel.

The Reception staff were exceptional and so helpful - the lounge and bar area had excellent views of the mountains and lake beyond. We didn't eat at the hotel as we tend not to do so, but ate in town.

If we had to go back to Lake Placid we would definitely book in again in the Adirondack Wing.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
LakePlacidBizOwner, Owner at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Thanks for your helpful comments. I have passed along the details of your stay to our staff. I have great news to share with fans of the Crowne Plaza: a beautiful new fitness center will open next summer - on the main floor adjacent to the pool.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

We booked a room in the Adirondack Wing and got a free upgrade to a suite! Can't beat that! Pool was a little rough, but the view from the room was great!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is a nice facility with beautiful views. A hockey tournament was in town and the hotel was filled with hockey kids. The front desk staff was very patient with all the kids who lost their keys and are obviously use to dealing with a high volume of guests. We stayed in the Adirondack wing, which had a beautiful view of the mountains. The room was spacious, inviting and top notch. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, very comfortable. I was sorry that our stay ended. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple