“Best for families staying in Lake Placid”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
“Best for families staying in Lake Placid”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This was a lovely hotel in a great location just up the hill from the Olympic skating rinks. Check in was easy and the size of the room was great for the 4 of us (and had a beautiful sunset view). We opt'd out of the offered breakfast (extra price) in order to eat graham cracker bagels from Soulshine Bagels on Main Street.

Pool was warm and clean - lots of towels available. The Great Room was beautiful and welcoming. We did not take advantage of the beach or golf or fancy dinner portions of the hotel this trip. We will definitely stay here again for our next visit to Lake Placid!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Albany, NY
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel several times, but may look elsewhere next time we are in Lake Placid. The hotel is beautiful and looks like it has just undergone a rehab. We checked in on 8/28 about 1:30 and our room was ready early, which was nice. However, the gray haired man and the younger lady weren't that friendly and didn't make us feel that welcome. They gave us the bare information and that was it.

When we inquired about there Boat House Restaurant, they simply said "It's full for tonight." When we asked about a possible cancellation for a reservation, they again said, "It's full for tonight." When asked if they take walk ups, again it was, "It's full for tonight." She sounded like a disgruntled robot and the gentleman just gave us dirty looks. We took our keys and were on our way. No other information was provided about the hotel, etc.

Later we went to the private beach that is part of the hotel where the Boat House Restaurant is located. I asked a staff member if they had any reservations available. She politely said they were closed due to a wedding. Why couldn't the folks at the front desk just told us that.

To make it worse, when we got back to the hotel, I overheard an elderly couple asking the front desk staff (different people this time, but just as unfriendly) about the Boat House Restaurant. They had made a reservation at the restaurant 2 weeks ago. The young man only said "They're booked tonight." The elderly lady was confused because she had made a reservation. All he kept saying was "They're booked tonight." She was very confused. The clerk then rudely said, "I don't know what to tell you, maybe you made it for the wrong day." Then he told the lady she could try calling over there to try and make a reservation. Knowing he was wasting this lady's time and making her very upset, I walked over and told her I was just there and they were closed for a wedding and the front desk didn't tell me either. The elderly woman looked at the man and just asked him why didn't he just tell her instead of having her call, etc. The young man got very defensive and sarcastically said, "I wasn't lying, they're booked. We're not supposed to say there is a wedding."

I don't know why they just couldn't have been truthful and more polite with me and the older couple. What is the big secret? Ironically, I later saw they had the wedding posted just a few feet away.

In the hot tub later, I heard other people complaining that they didn't think the staff was that friendly either. There was a very nice young man named Gregory working at the pool that deserves to be complimented.

Having said that, the property is very nice looking and up to date. It's lacking an outdoor pool and the towels by the indoor pool aren't much bigger than a dish towel.

IF YOU HAVE ALLERGIESBE AWARE THIS HOTEL ALLOWS PETS AND DOGS ARE WALKING AROUND. I WAS TREATED TO ONE GOING THE BATHROOM IN THE FRONT GARDENS.

Cazenovia, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Traveled here w/ my husband & 4 yr old son. Booked our stay a few weeks out through a 3rd party site @ a discounted rate after reading reviews here on Trip Advisor.
One of the best looking hotels in Placid & offers incredible views as it sits atop a hill overlooking mirror lake. Welcoming, curtious staff, pleanty of pillows & towels & clean indoor pool & hot tub. Downside was the room service~ $50 for breakfast and the food sucked.

Medina, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Enjoyed the hotel, had a nice view and not too far from the shops!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This was our 2nd visit to the Crown Plaza; were quite impressed last fall however this visit fell short. We prebooked (paid in advance) a "king jacuzzi room, with walk-out balcony and chairs for 3 nights but because I became quite sick, we cut our trip short and left after the 2nd night. On check-out I was reminded that "it's non-refundable", which I understood, however a more sympathetic comment could have been made than the blunt reminder of "unrefundability". The cold front-desk attitude only served to jog my memory that last year's "front desk" demeanour was also steely cold and not at all welcoming. This room left some to be desired: the jacuzzi was very, very old; there was a huge puddle of water left from the a/c unit in the middle of the "walk out" balcony (which, by the way was perhaps 18" in width; more a Juliette balcony than a "walk out"), etc, etc. We'll come back to Lake Placid again next year, but we'll not stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sailing_into_70
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I can't say enough to thank the manager, Ray, and the entire staff at this hotel for all they did for me. I fell and badly twisted my ankle on my first morning of my vacation. This happened around 7:15am on the 4th of July. I was bed-ridden for 8 straight days, the entire time I was in Lake Placid. My daughter was in a sleep-away camp so I was all alone. I depended on the staff at the hotel for everything, and every person I came in contact with were nothing but absolutely marvelous. Every call for ice refills for my ice pack, some coming at 3am, was no problem. They brought me room service with set-ups so that I could eat while sitting in bed with my leg up. Everyone with a smile on their face, asking how I was doing and if there was anything they could do to help. I could go on, and on. I'm sure not everyone has the best experiences at hotels, but when it came time to depend on the kindness of strangers, kudos' to everyone at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid for being my hero's. I will always remember what you did for me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
LakePlacidBizOwner, Owner at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments; I have passed them along to our dedicated team. We are certainly proud of our superior customer service. I hope you are feeling better and are able to enjoy the rest of the summer! Cristina
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2010

As most of the reviewers have noted, the location and views of this hotel are second to none. It has the best spot in town. The great room has terrific views, although the decoration was slightly cheesy in our opinion. We stayed in the adirondack wing. The facade of the great room and the adirondack wing are also quite nice. Our King Suite was a spacious, luxurious room equipped with full kitchens (pots, pans, glasses etc included), a jaccuzi in the master bedroom, and balconies that lead to more spectacular views. The boat house restaurant is also quite scenic. The price was the best in town.

That being said, this hotel is not a 5 star resort due to the quality of the beach club and the quality of the service. A request for how to get the shuttle to the beach was met with an angry, " Come to the front desk and request one only when you are completely ready to go to the beach." A half hour after our request was made, our shuttle still had not arrived. The staff had no idea where the shuttle was and refused to check up on its status. We ended up taking the local free trolley down the hill and crossing through restaurant parking lots and shrubbery to get to the beach club. After all that, the beach club ended up being disappointing. The bathrooms are filthy and there are no towels, chairs or snacks available. There are also no kayak or canoe rentals either. A request for chairs was met with a gruff , "We can let you borrow two chairs for a little bit." However, there were four people in our party. Lastly, after a fantastic night of dinner and drinks in the village of Lake Placid, my friends and I returned our Luxury King Suite, we found that the pull-out bed had not been made as requested. There were no sheets, blankets or pillows for half of our party to sleep on. Bedding was brought up nearly a half hour later. The staff member who brought it up, sighed, rolled his eyes, threw out bedding in our general direction and mumbled "have a good night."

Bottom line, go for the value and the views but do not expect to be pampered!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends