“Clean and comfortable and great customer relations”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
New Jersey
“Clean and comfortable and great customer relations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 3 nights. We had read the reviews about the noise and were a little worried, but decided to go for it because of the location. Since we were leaving from NJ during the most recent snowstorm, we called ahead to check the weather there. While speaking to the representative, they informed us that they were upgrading us (for free) to the Adirondack Wing because the hockey games were this weekend. We can't say how much we appreciated this! The kids really were noisy and the pool was crazy, but when you got to our wing, it was locked and quiet.

The room was nicely appointed, and very clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the views were beautiful. We had breakfast at the hotel two mornings, and although it was a bit overpriced, it was convenient and allowed my husband to get out for skiing. We had dinner at the Boathouse and took advantage of the free shuttle so that we could enjoy a few drinks. All in all, it was a very nice hotel and we appreciated the thoughtful upgrade.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sherpa06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
anne170
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

The Crowne Plaza is well located, but the walls are thin and you can hear everything in the rooms above and below. The food in the restaurants is poor. It's not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

We intentionally sought out a hotel located in town. After reading some of the other reviews, I was a little nervous but we decided to stay at the Crowne Plaza. Although the basic rooms in this hotel are not luxurious accommodations, the common areas are beautiful with spectacular views. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We absolutely loved the Boat House restaurant and the complimentary shuttle service to the restaurant that the hotel provides. Try the lobster appetizer and the baked Alaska. Both were excellent. The basic rooms are small but comfy. The only cons were that the carpet in our room sometimes got a little musty because of the wet boots and the pool is a zoo. The pros were location, service, and the views.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
nybeachcpl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

I have been reading some of the reviews and would be remiss not to comment. My family stayed last February for 5 nights during president’s week. We originally booked a four night stay in the Adirondack wing but we were having such a great time we decided to stay an additional day. We are a family of 5 with our youngest being three.

The room was very nice and immaculate and had magnificent views of Mirror Lake and the village. My oldest daughter (14) is a little bit of a priss and is accustomed to staying in nice resorts down in Florida. She will be the 1st to complain if she feels the hotel is unkempt, dirty or unsanitary and we didn’t hear a peep. The room had a great view overlooking the town and Mirror Lake. The great room was really nice and the staff was excellent.

On our 4th night we returned from a long day of skiing and we were looking forward to going out to dinner. We got to the room and we swiped the card and couldn’t get in. We called the front desk and they sent security up right away. Security attempted to get us in and he couldn’t get the door opened either. The manager came up and I wish I could remember his name because he was a real gentleman and a professional.

When the Manager arrived he observed a family of 5 in ski attire sitting on the carpeted floor outside of the room. My 3 year old son was tired and needed a bottle and something to eat. My wife was becoming increasingly impatient and I was tired and hungry. A recipe for disaster! He apologized profusely and made a couple of attempts at the door and got on a hand held walkie talkie and opened up an available suite across the hall from us. My wife told him we had dinner plans and that we needed to get changed and get something to eat. He apologized and offered to comp us at the resort restaurant but we were still in our ski clothes and didn’t feel comfortable going out without getting cleaned up. He immediately got us menus and offered room service. We ordered the food and drinks and a couple of minutes later he got us into our room. He offered to move us to the room we were temporarily staying in, which was clearly an upgrade but we declined.

The manager apparently had to call an engineer back into work because they had never encountered a problem with the door like that before. That said, he handled it like a pro and made a bad situation better and we have all had situations where management makes bad situations worse.

The room service was really nice and we had a very pleasant evening that started out really awful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nybeachcpl
Somnitz01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

We wanted to spend a weekend in Lake Placid for our anniversary and spent a great deal of time looking for a nice hotel that wouldn't break us. We decided on the Crowne Plaza and couldn't be happier with our selection. The room was spacious and beautiful. The interior of the whole hotel was very tasteful and comfortable. We spent much more time in the common areas of the hotel than we had planned on going in because we felt so at home. The staff was kind, courteous, and perceptive of our needs and the common areas were warm and inviting. After a day out on the town we spent an afternoon just curled up reading by the fireplace. The location of the C.P. was ideal for our needs also as the village of Lake Placid was all around and White Face Mtn & The Olympic Sports Complex were just short drives away.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

The Crowne Plaza was a good choice for our Holidays. It was cozy, well located and had good service.
The rooms are decent but nothing special, really your run-of-the-mill hotel room. There is a proper bathtub, TV, comfortable beds, regular view, but nothing that will sweep you off your feet. The one issue that I concur with some other reviews is the noise from the heater which is very loud and wakes you up a couple of times during the night.
The restaurant is also good but not great, but the bar and the lounge are very cozy and have great views from the very large window, so it’s a good place to relax. The hotel gained points with me on free parking and free Wi-Fi, even though at peak times (6-7 pm) I spent more time trying to connect than anything else. Regardless, it’s nice to have the service.
There is a good sized pool and the hot tub is very nice, as long as you’re lucky to get in when there’s room. Although the sign says 6 people max (as a NY state law, apparently) at times we counted 12 people inside. But we were lucky to be just the 4 of us the day before, so we were happy.
It’s the best looking hotel in town, up on a hill, and has great location between the Olympic centre and downtown. So it’s not fancy, but it’s a good practical choice with some amenities and a nice lodge feel to it, so I’d stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed here several years ago and enjoyed our visit but after reading the reviews, we were afraid that things had gone downhill- but decided to give it a chance. I am here right now in room 422 in the Main Lodge as I write this. We checked in at 7 last night- were greeted very warmly and were told that the Boat House restaurant is now open in the winter season (previously only May- Oct so we never had the opportunity) and given a $5 discount- best part- were told that a shuttle will take you back/forth- I won't have to be the designated driver. We deliberately did not go for the high end rooms because if the reviews were correct, then wouldn't want to feel as if we had wasted our money. Room 422 is a king sized bed with refrig, microwave and coffee pot- if I had known that I might have brought some utensils in case I have some leftovers. Last time I enjoyed the Great Room and was disappointed to see those reviews about trash on the tables and no food service. Well, last night the place was spic and span- we ate at the bar (bartender was terrific) and I found out that there is a lunch menu with table service- I'll be there later while my husband is skiing. (but so far I am so relaxed I am still in my pajamas- the room has a chair with a footstool and a good reading lamp so I could be happy if I never left the room all day). My husband had the breakfast buffet before he went skiing and reported back it had everything he could want and he probably ate way too much- since he paid nearly $10 for a sandwich on the way up here, he didn't think the price was outrageous.
This place is very convenient for families and that's what you will find here (also the Dartmouth Ski club and a few alumni reunuions from local colleges). Are the children running up and down the halls with no parents in sight? Absolutely. Are they in the Great Room with no parents in sight? Absolutely. Is that the hotel's problem? Absolutely not. I have been at Ritz Carlton's and encountered the same problem- somehow it bothers me more when I am paying those prices than what I am paying for this room. Did we let our children do that when we travelled with them? No, we didn't.
Something has changed in the intervening years and no, I'm not in my 70s.
So, if you want a very convenient place, at a reasonable price, able to walk down to Main St and huff and puff coming back up and don't mind skads of children, then this is the place to stay. Oh, and the view out the window of this room is too die for. (And btw, the welcome kit at every Crowne Plaza comes with earplugs- not just this one..)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple