“The best hotel in Lake Placid”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed on July 3rd, having travelled all around New England with our 2 teenagers. I couldn't disagree more with the negative comments about the staff. We were so warmly greeted by all staff and got chatting in particular in the supremely comfortable bar with one of the managers, Donald , a perfect gentleman. He took the time to welcome us and tell us some of the history of the hotel - this is a big hotel but with totally individual service. We were served by a young waiter, Charlie, a very bright and helpful young man, who we think represented the seamless service we got from everyone.

Our room, in the Adirondack Wing was immaculate and comfortable. The food is great and good value. We considered changing our travel plans to stay another night but it was booked months in advance by repeat travellers. We will be back to this area -without the kids, for a biking oddysey and have already decided that this stop will be the luxury bit of our journey. I think this hotel is superb and we have not come accross anything that got better than this in New England.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Lake Placid

Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed at this hotel over the July 4th weekend for three nights. The hotel is pretty convenient to the Main Street of town - you walk down the big hill or you can take the semi-steep steps down - and you're smack dab in the middle of everything. There are many restaurants, stores and the Olympic Museum and Oval within easy walking distance.

PROS:
View from the Great Room Bar is simply stunning. The hotel and the town are dog friendly and we ran into a very wide variety of beautiful dogs! There was plenty of parking (no fees), two computers for web surfing (no fees), plenty of places to sit indoors and outdoors, and a pool and jacuzzi.

We requested and received a lake view room and it had a balcony with a wonderful panoramic view of Mirror Lake and Main Street below. We had a perfect view of the Fourth of July fireworks. Six pillows provided on the bed (awesome). More tv channels to choose from than other hotels. One sleep pack provided - sleep mask, pillow mist and earplugs. Toiletries were not a brand I was familiar with, but the scent was rustic, organic and spa like.

CONS: The walls are a bit thin, so hallway noise and door slamming can be heard. The mini-refrigerator in the room didn't keep things very cold. The hairdryer was very weak and always seemed to overheat after 30 seconds. The hotel gym was an afterthought - four old machines and a weight set (but in a winter/ski town, I suppose people get their exercise from winter sports). There were no lounge chairs in the pool area. No room safes. The town's free trolley runs very sluggishly. Once, we only waited five minutes, the rest of the time we waited closer to 20-30 minutes and gave up.

SUGGESTIONS:
I can't recommend Milano North highly enough, the pizza and pasta were absolutely delicious. Great outlet stores, fresh handmade chocolates at the Candy Man. Good spa experience at Mirror Lake Inn and Spa. Lovely views at The Cottage - restaurant/bar at Mirror Lake Inn.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank milril44
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Great location to explore Lake Placid, the Olympic Center and all the olympic venues, and the greater Adirondacks. Best views of any hotel in the area and the only hotel from which one can view both Mirror Lake and Lake Placid, as well as the mountains. Newly redone and gorgeous Great Room is the perfect place for a drink and app after a day skiing, exploring, or whatever. Lots of little touches throughout the hotel which make it a great place to stay.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights. This hotel is nicely situated in Lake Placid, there is two ways in to the parking for those who do not want to walk up the hill. It is really attractive from the outside and the bar area view is beautiful.

The room itself was fine, but was not as modern as I would have thought. We were in the West Wing, and I could see some rooms had nicer TVs and décor. It was a bit noisy anytime people were in the corridor and closing their doors. The pool / pool area was fine, but the hotel beach on the other side of Mirror Lake was not open yet, so that was a bit of a let down. We had a great view and did not know beforehand that we had small fridge and microwave so that was a good bonus. Would stay again since it is one of the nicer hotels of Lake Placid but would request a newer room.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Wow! What a place! We spent 4 nights there from June 6-10th and this place FANTASTIC!!! We had a great room (368) with an absolutely beautiful view. Our room was in a very quiet area away from the entrance of the hotel ... We were treated extremely well by everyone we came in contact with. Everything was in perfect working order. The fireplace and oversized jacuzzi tub were great (it got down in the low 40's our first night there). Our rooms were cleaned early in the day, so when we got back mid-afternoon everything was in order. We did not eat there, so I can't tell you how the food was in the hotel, but Lake Placid has lots of places to eat and we found some very good ones. This hotel is easily within walking distance of the town ... just a 5 minute walk. It was easy to walk into town, go out to eat, go to a movie at the theater in town and walk back to our room in the evening. No doubt about it, we are going back!

1  Thank gypsywoman222
Reviewed June 19, 2009

First off, I can't believe I almost overlooked this Hotel. For some reason I did not consider this place initially and had booked at the Marriott. We went to Lake Placid to run the 1/2 marathon. I found out the Marriott was not as close to town as some of the other places so did some research on the Crown Plaza and sooo glad I did!
It is a great setting with great views and so convenient to Main Street. Please don't be off put by the reviewers who comment on the "big hill." The property is right off Main Street and the location could not be nicer. I walked down every morning to the Green Mountain Roasters for coffee, and also the bakery right down the road.
We also stayed in the nicer Adirondack wing which had great views. The rooms were great, nothing fancy but adequate.
When I called for reservations the receptionist was a bit robotron and didn't exactly exude warmth and friendliness but the worst part of the stay was the hotel clerk at the front desk I encountererd at 6;55 am. I had the audacity to ask him when the cafe opened so I could get a cup of coffee. He rather indignantly replied that they supplied coffee makers in the room and I would have to wait 15 or 20 minutes, eventhough the cafe opened at 7:00 am. I should have stopped there with him but I asked him if there was a place I could get information on hiking. He again was exceedingly rude and unhelpful and realized I was getting nothing here. . .As a side note the rest of my stay I avoided the cafe and walked down to Main Street for a great cup of java at Green Mt. Roasters. Other than this one clerk I must say the rest of the staff was more than helpful and friendly.
Overall the hotel is on a beautiful location convenient to town, and I highly recommend it. Also, we dined at the Boathouse which is across the Lake and operated by the Crown Plaza. Marathon morning I simply walked down the hill to the start of the race.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
CPLPJB, Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2009

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay at our fine hotel. Our entire staff is taught that guest service is our #1 Priority and I am dismayed that a front desk agent missed an opportunity to help a guest and I want to assure you that unacceptable behavior is not be tolerated. We take it upon ourselves to make sure the all of our staff is re-educated and that the guest always comes 1st at this hotel"

Reviewed June 10, 2009

This wing is newer and has somewhat larger rooms and full size balconies....we reserved a room there, with a balcony...paid extra for it and when we checked in were given a room with NO balcony...a call to the front desk corrected that miscue in a few minutes....my only other complaint is that the bartenderette in the "Great Room" was, well, to put it nicely, unfriendly to one and all...quite competent but rather rude. Otherwise. we loved this place...spectacular views!

4  Thank bradyk
CPLPJB, Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2009

Thank you for choosing our Resort and also for taking the time to inform us of your disappointing experience. The quality of service you received is not our standard. We are known in the area for providing impeccable service at our Resort. We have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again. We thank you for your candor and are truly sorry for your displeasure. We at The Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club pride ourselves in first class service and food quality. I can assure that the experience you received is not a common occurrence. Your satisfaction is important to us and I hope that you will join us on the next visit to Lake Placid.