“Cushy and Cozy at the Crowne Plaza” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Lake Placid

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Albany, New York
“Cushy and Cozy at the Crowne Plaza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

This is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. True, I can't make the claim that I'm a hotel connoisseur (did I spell that right?), but I think most would agree that this hotel is very comfortable, and set with a beautiful backrop of the Adirondack mountain range. The room had a king-sized bed, with eight pillows; a big mirror hanging over the dresser/credenza/entertainment center; a flat-screen tv; a loveseat; a small table with cushioned seating for two; its own thermostat; an electric fireplace, and a view of the Adirondacks from the window. The bathroom featured marble countertops and a room-for-two jet tub with overhead shower. What can I say? The room was nicer than my own apartment accommodations, so it was hard to leave. The service was great--a newspaper at your doorstep each morning, and refreshed toiletries for your bath and coffee for your coffee machine. There was even a microwave and mini-fridge in the room. It was almost a shame that I didn't have anyone to share the room--nay, the room experience--with! Not quite, but almost. They have a restaurant on the ground level, which was okay, in terms of the food. The Great Room truly was great--gorgeous views, and very grand-looking.

The room I stayed in was an upgrade from what was reserved for the business trip I was on, due to the hotel's overbooking (lucky me), so it's way more ritzy than I'd be able to spend ($200+ per night) if I were traveling for pleasure, but given the choice, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Not only is the hotel itself very nice, but it's set right above the little Lake Placid town (featuring Mirror Lake), where there is the opportunity to shop (some of the shops are one-of-a-kind, quirky places), have a cup of coffee, eat at a casual or fine restaurant, or just take a scenic walk around Mirror Lake.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
newyouk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

I realize this review is a little late but I'm on the site checking out something else & thought better late then never. Anyway if booking a balcony be sure to ask if it's the real balcony or the fake balcony & they know what I mean because most are about 18 inches deep ( I'm not kidding ) & are more for show than use & they charge. Also when we visited it was still warm & the women on the phone whom I believe was the manager/supv. or whatever, said they had an outdoor pool & an indoor pool & they dont have an outdoor pool at all. Then she proceeded to book our fake balcony room. I think this was the same women at check-in but I'm not sure. & be advised the location is not exactly in the center of town, it's kinda on one end of the main strip & for those people who like to park & walk there is a hill involved. For us, the hill was no problem but I could definitely see this being a problem for older folks or for people with some degree of difficulty walking. So just please be forwarned. Now the hotel itself was decent, the rooms,were so so but decent & the lobby/bar area was nicely done & you had a pretty good view & they had a nice indoor pool. Thats 1 pool NOT 2 pools as the women said quite clearly. The hotel is alright but the turn off for me was that they just werent honest & just told you whatever you wanted to hear just to get you in there. & it's really not something you want to deal with when your there to have a good time. Hope this helps somebody.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank luvsunnydays
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

There were six of us booked into the hotel for our annual hiking trip. I would consider the rooms and facilities to be average and much what I would expect from a chain hotel. The lobby is indeed spectacular and a great place for enjoying a beer after a long day hiking. The staff should be complimented for the attitude and friendliness. The hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to several restaurants and to Lake Placid's main street. I would; however, stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

This place was a little dated. It was in a great location, right above the Olympic Center, within walking distance to downtown and with great views of Mirror Lake. It was nice that it was up on a hill, with great views of the mountains, lake, and downtown. However, the hotel was a little worn but relatively well kept. You could tell it had been around a while.

The room was decent, but fairly small. I had a standard room. The bathroom was a good size, but showed it age with some ugly floor tile and lack of fan, so it got very humid and wet in there very quickly. There was a single granite vanity, and I found it very irritating that there was no storage space in the bathroom.

The room itself felt like it was in a basement. Perhaps this is because I was on the third floor, so my room window was practically even with another wing of the hotel's roof. The window was small and not much sunlight permeated the room, making it feel dark and enclosed. However, there was lovely furniture, comfortable beds and best of all- a mini fridge and microwave. That is pretty atypical for a hotel of this class.

The best part of the hotel, however, was the great room. Off of the check-in area, there was this fantastic room with great high ceilings, a beautiful bar, a fireplace, and small comfortable seating areas. This room is open for anyone to use, and you can order off a dinner/lunch menu for food or drinks, but you don't have to in order to sit in the room. It was lovely, and a great alternative to staying couped up in a hotel room.

Another great feature: free wi-fi throughout the hotel, including the rooms!

Our friends had a small suite in the west wing which was decent and I would reccommend for families. When you first walked in, there was two double beds and a dresser with TV. Then there was a hallway with a closet and kitchenette, plus access to the bathroom. The bathroom was a good size but dated- with whirlpool tube (not that one would want to sit in a hotel room tub- probably never been cleaned). Finally, there was a master bedroom in the back with king bed and balcony.

Overall, if location is important to you, stay here. But otherwise, I would stay at the Mariott, which isn't as convienent, but is definitely more modern.

• Liked — Family friendly, great location, fabulous public lounge space, great views
  • Disliked — Little dated, small rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

This is a place with potential but unfortunately it looks a bit dated and would qualify more as an older holiday inn than as a crowne plaza. The bar/lobby looks great but the old ugly used furniture should have been replaced a long time ago. The dishes of guests who had a small dinner in the bar were still standing around an hour after they had left.

The same for the rooms - new mattresses and carpet would help. During winter the doors do not open which, in order to safe energy, is fine but the room had an unpleasant smell and fresh air had been the only thing that had helped.

All in all a few improvements/updates would go a long way and i would not hesitate to visit this hotel again once they are done. Before that I would chose another one if my travels bring me to the area again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

I just spent 4 days at The Crowne Plaza Resort in Lake Placid, N.Y. over American Thanksgiving. It was great. Thought about staying at The Whiteface Lodge, which also looks great, but didn't. Here's why. We had an 850 sq/ft suite with a view of Mirror Lake (the town of Lake Placid actually is on Mirror Lake, not Lake Placid...go figure) in the Adirondack Wing of the hotel. This hotel used to be a Holiday Inn; they renovated it a few years back and added the Adirondack Wing. That wing, and the main lobby are gorgeous (especially the main lobby!). However, the rest of the hotel still looks a bit like a Holiday Inn (albeit a nice one). My point is, if you stay there, I would recommend staying in the Adirondack Wing. It had a big living room/dinning room/kitchen area, a big bed room and huge bathroom (2 rooms). Plus, it cost me $800.00 less for the 4 days than if I had stayed at The Whiteface Lodge. If it had just been my wife and me, I might have stayed at the Whiteface (given their additional facilities and excellent dining) but we have a 3 year old, so The Crowne Plaza was definitely the right call. It's also on top of a hill with AMAZING views of Mirror Lake and the mountains; you don't get that at the Whiteface lodge, and is literally a 5 minute walk to town. So, if you want a really nice place but don't want to spend a fortune, go with the Crowne Plaza.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank cheddy
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

We went to Lake Placid for our 25th anniversary. I booked a room with a king bed and lake/mountain view for 5 nights. When we arrived, we were informed that we have been upgraded to a suite at no extra charge for our anniversary. What a great surprise! What a great room! We stayed in room 261 of the Adirondack wing. I understood from all I had read here that the Adirondack Wing was the newer wing of the hotel and I specifically booked a room with that in mind. We had to drive around the back of the hotel to get there as it is far from the main building. The room had a full kitchen, living/dining room with a faux fireplace, bedroom with double whirlpool tub and a large bathroom. The balcony overlooked the lake and mountain. Housekeeping was there daily and did an excellent job. I have never been to Lake Placid before and used TripAdvisor to find a hotel. You never know what you are going to get when you book on the Internet. In hindsight, The Crowne Plaza was the best place of the many choices. It is situated on a hill, which makes getting down to the Main Street a bit of a hike, but the trade off is the incredible view. The hotel offers a shuttle to get up and down the hill, but often we drove or walked. I was up at dawn every morning and walked around the lake with my camera, absolutely breathtaking! The Olympic Center is at the bottom of the hill as well.
The only negative I have about the hotel is the restaurant right in the hotel. The Crowne Plaza has 3 restaurants. The Boathouse, which you have to take a shuttle to, as it is on the other side of the lake, The Veranda which is just outside the front doors of the hotel and is quite upscale, and the restaurant in the hotel (which I don’t think had a name). We ate at the Boathouse the first night we arrived. The food was OK, but nothing special. We never tried the Veranda but heard it was excellent and the restaurant in the hotel was the pits! I was surprised how substandard the food was here.
There are great spots in town to eat as well. Pete’s Steakhouse, Jimmy 21 are just two.
The hotel has an indoor pool, an exercise room, a great room (with an incredible view), a putting green and golf courses. My husband and I tried the Mountain View course, but I was not impressed. Much of the course ran right along the busy road and there was one fairly treacherous transition from one hole to another which took you across that busy road, as it is situated on a curve, all while balancing the golf cart on an upgrade slope. An easy course, no water hazards. They do have a Links Course, which may be better.
To sum up our stay in one word, Excellent! The staff, the accommodations, the location, all excellent. No complaints from this picky couple!

• Liked — The room, the view, the staff
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple