“Great location”

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
London, Ont
“Great location”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Good clean hotel, large rooms with wifi, flat screen TV, fridge and microwave. Large pool. Good view of mountains from our room - upgraded rooms would overlook lake. Great location, short walk to main street. Hotel has shuttle to restaurant on other side of lake - also a beach with swimming, chairs, towels, and boats but no mention of these from receptionist on check in.

Maybe it was because we booked with Priceline but the reception was basic - we got our keys. We asked about restaurants and were given a list. We asked if they had a local map and received an excellent map. I would expect these to be willingly offered upon check in.

The hotel has an excellent beach as mentioned above - we only found it because we took a walk around the lake - again, this should be offered.

Nice breakfast room and very friendly greeting from staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay. I apologize that the front desk agent did not give you a better experience upon your check in. We have a lot of wonderful amenities at our hotel that you listed in your review. I will be working with our staff to make sure that this does not happen again in the future. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Lake Placid.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Lodging is expensive in this town. We scoured the reviews before settling on this place for 3 nights. Pros include central location, set up on a hill overlooking the main drag, not on it, free shuttles to private "beach" on other side of Mirror Lake with paddle boats included at no additional charge, lake and mountain view rooms (not all rooms) and good value.
Cons included smaller than expected room size, not as clean as it could be (dust on dresser etc) and an exceptionally noisy a/c unit, which was also mention in another review, and small things like chipped tiles in the bathroom if that sort of thing matters to you- just not as new maybe as could be. Also no continental breakfast included like many corporate hotels offer.
This place was easy, and met our needs for a home base for hiking and biking for a few days, as well as being very close to all that Main Street has to offer. On a return to Lake Placid we might try to rent a cabin or something instead. We were not disappointed here though.
Also a couple of restaurants on site, but we didn't try them.
There is an indoor pool, no outdoor. There's a spa/whirlpool attached to the pool. There is a nice little exercise room with a few cardio machines as well as pulleys and dumbbells.

Room Tip: Make sure yo book a lake view room unless you want a view of mountains obscured by trees and telepho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am happy to see that we were able to use our free shuttle so that you could enjoy our private beach and the use of our pedal boats. Thank you for using our centrally located hotel as a base for your hiking excursions and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Montreal
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our family had an absolutely wonderful time celebrating at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid this past weekend! Specifically wonderful was our dinner at the Lake Placid Club Boat House, as everything was perfect - I mean PERFECT! The staff was exceptionally professional and every detail was taken care of. I wish I could remember their names but their service was magnificent. The food was excellent and everyone raved about how delicious everything was.

I also want to rave about the two businesses on their "Planning Resources" list. The cake from Lake Flour Cakery was absolutely scrumptious! Nancy was a pleasure to work with as well. The flowers from Lake Placid Flowers & Gifts were so perfect. They were able to recreate the flower arrangement from our parents wedding from a photo I sent them. Mom was amazed at the detail!

I cannot thank them enough for giving us such a delightful time celebrating being a family and our special occasion. Catherine Zawadzki, their meeting director was such a pleasure to work with. We will all be reflecting on fantastic memories from our 50th Wedding Anniversary weekend for a long time!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a lakeside view and get up early to see the sun rise!
1 Thank Susan_2011_Montreal
Wow! Thank you for your review of family's celebration of the 50th wedding anniversary. The Boathouse Restaurant was a wonderful backdrop to host your event and I am glad that our staff exceeded your expectations. Thank you as well of your picture that you posted of the sunrise coming over the mountains as it is the best way to start a day.
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The resort looked great online, but unfortunately fell short of my expectations. Upon checking in from a 5 hour drive for a wedding, we wanted to relax in our room. We were placed on the first floor with our window next to the pool area, which was very loud of course. Upon opening the fridge, there was a carton of eggs in there that someone had left behind. We switched rooms to have a room with a balcony & our request was taken right away-great. Although the young man at the front desk assisting us seemed very annoyed by our request. The room looked fine at first glance. Then, we found pieces of cereal under the table. Not such a big deal. Once in the bathroom, I was totally disgusted-the floor looked like it had not been cleaned at all. Various sizes of dark hair scattered all around the floor, bits of paper under the sink, & lots of dust in every corner. If that wasn't bad enough, the shower had more short dark hair in it & the grout was moldy. I called the front desk to explain my findings & they were very apologetic. A few minutes later, I received a call from the director of housekeeping who apologized & told us that while we were out that evening, he personally would go into the room with the housekeeper to ensure it was properly cleaned. I thought that was very nice of him to call. Upon returning to our room, there was still some hair on the ledge of the bathtub & the floor! I didn't feel like calling the front desk again, so I just sucked it up & laid towels all over the bathroom floor when it came time to shower.

Needless to say, we had a terrible experience. Perhaps our experience was just a fluke, but just to be safe, I would steer clear of this place, unless they hire new housekeepers. The only thing giving this property two stars is the location-excellent. There is a Hampton Inn right down the road that I wish I would have known about prior to booking here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my apology for the issues you had with your rooms and we will continue to train our staff to make sure that this does not happen again. I apologize that you did not receive the service that won us the Torchbearer Award through IHG as one of the top 5 Crowne Plaza in the US in terms of overall guest satisfaction. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Shohola, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in a king suite in the Adirondack Wing of this hotel. I would definitely recommend that you stay in thie Adirondack Wing of the hotel. The suite was very clean and large. A large living room with pull out sofa and murphy bed. Kitchen area with stove top, microwave, dishwasher, fridge and kitchen table. A small "cruise size" balcony off the living room. Small bathroom with shower and a large bathroom off bedroom with a jacuzzi. The hotel has a very relaxing feel and the staff was wonderful. We paid extra to have breakfast included with our room and it was a savings and the breakfast each morning was either a very large buffet or off a breakfast menu. The only negative is the large hill you have to climb to get back up to the hotel but that is what makes the terrific view of the entire area and mountains. They do have a shuttle running in town that takes you right up to the front door of the hotel but it only runs till 9:30PM. We were very happy with the hotel and had a great trip!

Room Tip: Adirondack wing, lake view. If you don't go with lake view you still have a beautiful view of t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It looks like you were able to stay in our largest Tower Suite that affords all of the luxury and accommodations of being at home with our large kitchenette, two bathrooms and additional bed options in the living room. We do reside on a hill that affords us the best views in Lake Placid. As you mentioned there is a free shuttle run by the town that makes stops at our hotel and we do offer our free shuttle to all of our offsite properties. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Lake Placid.
Webster, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

From the time we arrived to the time we left (3 days later) we felt welcomed, the overall appearance of the lobby, room and restaurants were clean and fresh. ALL the staff we ran into were some of the nicest people and prompt with their assigned work. (I think as far as the staff is concerned other hotels and hotel chains need to send their staff to this one for training).

We did not have to drive anywhere since the hotel is right on top of the hill to the Olympic Center and only a few blocks from the town shopping.
The only problem I could see is the hill, if you have a weak heart the walk down to town or the Olympic center is okay, but the walk back is a tough one, the hill is not fun to walk up.

Overall I would give this Hotel a very, very good rating and would recommend you to stay here. Well done Crown Plaza.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert V
Thank you for your review. I am happy to see that you had a comfortable experience while you were at the resort and that our staff exceeded your expectations. We train our staff here to be one step ahead of our customers’ needs and I thank you for noticing that and I will forward your comments on to our staff. I appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Lake Placid.
latham
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pros:
-Great views from the pub and select guest rooms.
-Nice indoor pool with a hot tub. It can be very crowded if sports teams are there, like any hotel..
-Good food! Although my chicken quesadilla came with the chicken on the side for some reason. The grilled cheese was amazing, but I would ask for it without the mustard next time. Very reasonable prices if you eat in the log cabin pub, but room service adds an extra $3 for delivery, and mandatory 18% tip. Quite a lot of extra money just to bring food to a room.
-Bed, TV, shower, tub, toilet etc etc all just what you would expect. No signs of neglect anywhere.
-Nice little table and chairs by the window.
-Microwave and fridge in the room.
-Plenty of parking
-Location is right in town, but up on a hill like a castle.
-They have a shuttle that brings you to their own private beach.
-This may sound silly but we really loved the toiletries they provide!

Cons:
-The balconey is a joke, I dont know who OK's the plans, but it is only about 3 feet from building to railing. I don't know if they put the chairs out there as joke, but there is about 2 inches from the seat to the railing unless you sit sideways. Our railing was loose, and there were some HUGE spiders present.
-No tea in the room!! Just think of all the poor Tea drinkers that wake up expecting to make a proper brew and isntead their only option is coffee!
-The hill from the hotel down to town would be a black diamond on a ski mountain. I was pushing my baby in my stroller up it and then my dog decieded to crap so it got pretty tricky!! We ended up driving to the parking lot at the bottom of the hill, ha ha ! ha! HE he ho ho!
-No breakfast included, not even a lousey muffin.
-Front desk people arent super friendly, felt like MacDonalds.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend the 4th of July with our resort in Lake Placid. I appreciate your detailed review and I will share the results with our staff. I will also share your comments listed in your "cons section" with our ownership as we value your opinions and we continuously try to improve our resort.