“Worth the money”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in December while planning our wedding in LP. We had never been to this particular hotel in LP, the pictures and price all looked nice so we booked it. The hotel was nice, nothing out of the ordinary. I was hoping from the look of the lobby that it would have some local Adirondack flair but it didnt. It as clean and everything was updated. The staff was friendly and helpful. We got the breakfast buffet, not wanting to venture out so early in the morning (even though the hotel is steps from main street) and was disappointed. It cost around $15 pp and was just normal breakfast food, nothing worth the price. The views of the surrounding mountains was very nice though! Aside from the overpriced breakfast it was worth the $95 per night.

Room Tip: The views from every room in the hotel are breathtaking
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and review of our hotel. Congratulations on your engagement. I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast buffet on to our Food and Beverage Director as we want to make sure that all of our customers who partake in the $11.95 buffet should be told about the scrumptious made to order omelets at our omelet station. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My family of four stayed here (along with the rest of my son's team) on 1/19 and 1/20/13 while my teenage son was playing in a hockey tournament. The hotel was very nice, and convenient. The room (two double beds) was fairly spacious and included both a mini-fridge and a microwave. Only complaint about the room was the draft coming in the sliding door. But we just cranked the heat up a degree or two to counter balance. (It was very windy over the weekend.) The wing where we were staying was the perfect place to stash a teenage hockey team. And the only comment about that is that the second floor was not accessible via elevator. Again, not a huge deal, but those of us who were at the end of the hall away from the stairs made a lot of trips up and down to get everything in and out of the rooms. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We ate two breakfasts and a dinner there, and we had lunch in the Great Room/bar area one day, as well. Good food and reasonable prices. For the two meals included with the hockey tournament stay (Sunday dinner and Monday breakfast), there was a large room for everyone to eat in after getting their food off the buffet. Great idea, but not enough seats/drinks/silverware at some points. Drinks and silverware were easily remedied by asking. We found all staff we came in contact with extremely helpful and nice. I haven't spent a lot of time in ski lodges, but the decor in the lobby and Great Room seem to me to be perfect for a ski lodge. The fire places were cozy, and the seating in the Great Room was perfect to sit around chatting with the other parents after a day of hockey. The village of Lake Placid, as well as the rinks and the lake (for pond hockey and dog sledding) are extremely convenient to the Crowne Plaza. But be prepared for the trek back up the hill! We did get to the point that a couple of us with larger vehicles shuttled the hockey bags up and down the hill because the kids were beat after playing and then to carry their huge bags up the hill in 30 mph wind gusts was a bit much. On the flip side, we got A LOT of exercise over the weekend! And one comment about the pool... unless I missed them, there didn't appear to be any restrooms accessible from the pool area. That would be very nice. I was also surprised that there isn't a spa. I've never actually looked for or used a spa at a hotel. Ever. However, I had some free time one afternoon and I was sore from playing pond hockey and walking up and down that hill, so I thought I'd try to get a foot massage. No dice. I did find a spa down the hill, but as you would expect, they had nothing available on such short notice. Overall, excellent experience. I would definitely stay here again just with my family or with my kids' hockey teams.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I was glad to see that we were able to provide you with a great experience over your recent hockey weekend. Thank you for your detailed comments about your stay and we are glad that you enjoyed or wonderful Great Room area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

After a 5 hour ride from Boston we arrived at the hotel I checked in then my whole family and a friend of my sons we're hungry so we decided to go to the restaurant to eat.The woman at the reception desk for the restaurant look miserable end she was.We walked into the restaurant and the children sat down on some chairs. My youngest son who is 5 years old was bouncing up and down on the chair slightly but not anything out of the ordinary for a 5 year old who has ADD and she basically screamed at all of us and said this is a 21 + restaurant only it is not for children so if the children cannot behave they need to leave!! I replied well then is there a restaurant in your facility that will allow children ? Then she goes on to say I'll allow it if they can behave ..Throughout to stay this woman had the same miserable look on her face all week keep in mind this is a hockey tournament which this hotel caters to hockey players. After we got into our room I noticed there were ants all over the floor in the bathroom. I had asked the front desk to take care of the problem which they never did we had the ant with us the entire stay finally on the last day I went and bought some raid myself too take care of the ants because whatever they tried did not work.Before the tournament we were asked if you would like to upgrade to a suite on their website you should see the pictures of the suites there so beautiful but the sweet we were put in was basically a rundown old room with a small extra room off of the main room that was freezing cold because the heating system did not work inside of it. Basically if you get invited to a hockey tournament in Lake Placid and you are going to stay at the Crowne Plaza beware because it is not fun at all...

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank hockeydad73

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza. I apologize for the issues that you incurred during your stay. I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and we will make sure that we continue our training to make sure that all guests receive a wonderful experience from all of our hotel staff. If you would like to discuss your stay further please call me at 518-523-2556 ext 498 or ask for Scott.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I really liked this Crowne for a lot of reasons, most of which I couldn't take advantage of because I was there on business for a very short night. What I appreciated most was the consideration of the staff in giving me a room far away from the participants in a junior hockey tournament taking place at the Olympic Arena adjacent to the hotel. Thank you very much for the peace and quiet. Hope to visit some other time for a longer period when I can take advantage of everything that Lake Placid has to offer.

Room Tip: The Adirondack Wing takes a little longer to get to on foot, but it was worth the distance for me.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our hotel. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for when you visit Lake Placid again.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here early in January for two nights to enjoy a day of skiing at Whiteface. Town, location of the hotel, decor along with the added visual highlight of 2 feet of snow made this an incredible and convenient place to stay. One point which stood out was the hotel had enough fore thought to use the adjoining conference room, attached to the main restaurant to house all the hockey teams for their included breakfast. 50, 12 year old can get quite loud and slightly out of control and this was thought out well by the hotel. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay and review of our hotel. The wonderful 2 feet of snow helped showcase all of the winter activities that Lake Placid has to offer including the skiing at Whiteface that you enjoyed. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel before Christmas because the rates go up after. We arrived on Dec 21, 2012 and stayed for 3 nights. We loved the great room, we all sat by the fire and exchanged gifts. The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. There was a great breakfast every morning before we went skiing and the shuttle the mountain(Whiteface) was free.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank smiley077

Thank you for your recent review of your recent vacation that included staying at our hotel. Our Great Room is accurately named as the decor and layout lends itself for those who are looking to relax by our large fireplace or our dining and bar area and the views from the large windows are truly spectacular. Thank you for mentioning the free shuttle that leaves from our hotel to mountain every hour starting at 8:05am. We look forward to seeing you and your family again here soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel had some beautiful great rooms. Overall, it looked quite good. Their advertised ski center was not open though there was plenty of snow, so that was a disappointment. We received bad instructions about their cross country ski tails which lead to a bad experience. Christmas eve dinner at hotel was great, especially the ravioli. But, the hotel's four restaurant advertisement seems misleading. However, downtown is very close with restaurants. I also chose this hotel for pool and hot tub. Pool was solid and had a nice deep end. The hot tube was always crowded though. There was so much room in the pool areas, it was crying out for at least one more hot tub. Of course skiers are going to want a hot tub. Pool area was unusually scenic for an indoor hotel with skylight and big glass wall. Weird that bathrooms didn't have a changing area and that towels provided at pool were hand towels. When we left, I had to unbury my car from snow by hand. It would be nice if after a big snow they either unburied cars for guests or alt least offered snow shovels, etc. I went in expecting a fantastic resort. My experience was that of a very good resort.

Room Tip: I paid extra at check in to get a view of the lake. I was nice but I couldn't really see out my...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay with us over the holidays. During the Holidays we were very busy as you mentioned and our hot tub saw a lot of action rejuvenating our guests from all of the winter activities that are available in Lake Placid. We did dig out many of our guests cars out from the incredible 2 feet of snow that was dropped on us. We dig people's cars out upon request at the front desk. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.