“nice room extremely poor service”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We have stayed in Lake Placid many times in the past in a private rental home, this was our frirst time in a hotel. Ipon arrival the person that checked me in was quite rude and did not have the room available that I booked, I was told that I would have to pay an additional 200.00 per night to have a king bed which was what I reserved. I was tired and just said ok so that we could get some sleep. The room was located in the South buiding which is the newest section of the resort and has great views. The room was very nice with a fireplace and kitchenette area. Once we were settled in our room we received a voicemail message that they wanted us to go back to the front desk to pick up our breakfast coupons ( the front desk is quite far away from this section) we expected that since they said they forgot to give them to us they would have the courtesy to bring them do our room, when we asked them to do so they said no. Overall the location is good but customer service is not at all what it should be.

Room Tip: Stay in the South Building which is the newest section and has great views of the Olympic ski jumpt...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mandmsilverman
JesseQuonce, Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us in the Adirondack Wing. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. Most Front Desk materials are available for pick-up next day, including breakfast coupons. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your room and the terrific views that we have to offer. We appreciate the honest feedback of our guests, and I hope that you and your family return to our hilltop, family owned resort again.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

We were in Lake Placid for a wedding at another resort...we chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza which is up a hilly road overlooking the town & mirror lake. We were upgraded (no extra charge!)to the Adirondack Wing suite with adjoining double queen room for our party of 4.
The hotel desk clerk suggested it because there was a hockey tournament in town from all over and it was busy/noisey with hockey kids in the main hotel area.
The rooms were very nice, beds great...clean....but the views were what made this hotel stay special. It was like looking at a pretty snowy Christmas card....lake, mountain peaks and quaint town with church bells.

Room Tip: Ask for the Adirondack wing with view of Mirror Lake.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

We appreciate the terrific review of your stay with us. We’ve had the chance to host many hockey teams and their families so far this year, and it’s always nice to hear the experiences of our “other” guests. It’s great to see that you enjoyed the Adirondack wing and its wonderful views. If you enjoyed the scenery in early December, then I would certainly suggest returning in late February, when Mirror Lake is frozen, the Oval is open for public skating, and the skiing at Whiteface is at its best. Thanks again for writing; we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We've just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone traveling to Lake Placid. We had some qualms given the tenor of some trip advisor reviews, but overall we had a great week here. Front desk staff were welcoming and helpful whenever we interacted with them and the staff in the rest of the hotel couldn't have been nicer. The property and staff are also very pet friendly. We were traveling with our labrador retreiver and never felt as if our accomodations or our experience were compromised by the presence of the dog. We didn't use the pool, fitness center or other facilities on site because they were teeming with kids. No way to know if this is a recurring problem, but we chose to chalk it up to the fact that it was a holiday week and a lot of families were staying at the property. The room and the beds were comfortable and while the balcony was a little tight, there was plenty of room to step out and enjoy the view. Only one wirnkle -- housekeeping was a little dodgy during our stay. One day the room wasn't made up at all and on another it wasn't cleaned until nearly 2:00 in the afternoon. Not a big deal, but an area that might benefit from some attention on the hotel's part. We joined friends for the Thanksgiving buffet and it was prefectly adequate -- exactly what one would expect from a hotel catered affair. We didn't eat any other meals in the hotel given other options available in the village. Again, a pleasant stay in a large resort hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
JesseQuonce, Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for staying with us during the Thanksgiving Holiday. It is great to hear that your Labrador Retriever was able to make the trip as well; as you noted, we love to see people traveling with their pets. I apologize for the inconsistency of our housekeeping staff. The holiday week, CANAM hockey, and the opening weekend at Whiteface Mountain kept our staff quite busy. Thank you for joining us for the Thanksgiving Buffet. This year’s buffet was one of our biggest and best to date. Thank you for your review, I hope you can stay at our family owned and operated resort again very soon. Happy holidays!

Reviewed November 27, 2011

One caveat with my review - although I have stayed here a few times, it has always been for work. Therefore, I have not used the resort amenities of the hotel, which may be excellent.

This is a large hotel with many labyrinthine hallways. There are not many side doors, so guests often need to walk a long distance from parking to rooms. If someone in your party has difficulty walking, be sure to mention that when you make your reservation.

I have had spotty front desk service at this hotel. Sometimes it is great, and sometimes the folks working the desk don't seem to know what's up or act rather uninviting for a hotel of this caliber. This past trip, my reservation was being paid for by the people that contracted me for the job, but the person working the desk didn't seem to know this, asked for the manager, and still insisted on getting an imprint of my credit card (this hasn't happened to me at other hotels). Even with all this, when I checked out, the person at the desk - a different person - still didn't know that my room fee was being paid by another party, and they had to call a manager again.

My room was adequate, although a little musty smelling. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom had plenty of counter space, and the water pressure and temperature was good. The lighting was very dark.

The main warning I would give people about this hotel is to stay away if you want to have a quiet getaway. Every time I have stayed, there have been large groups using the hotel, and it has been noisy. This time there were kids running up and down the hall until midnight. It wasn't horrible - I'm a parent myself and can usually deal - but it was on the edge. I kept getting to the point where I was about to call the front desk (was already in my pjs because I had an early start in the morning, so didn't feel like going out and talking to kids/chaperones), when they would quiet down for half an hour or so before I would hear them again.

The Great Room off the main lobby has an absolutely gorgeous view of Lake Placid. Unfortunately, they seem to be closing it off to general use more than they have in the past. It was being used as a bar/restaurant when I arrived, was closed and gated at breakfast the next morning, and seemed to be still closed when I left about 4:00 pm. This room is one of the best assets of the hotel, and I wish it was open for general lounging, sitting around, & quiet talking pretty much all the time, or at least during daylight hours.

The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Lake Placid, but up a fairly large and steep hill, so, again, plan ahead if you have mobility issues. I'm guessing there is a shuttle available to take people down the hill, but am not positive.

I thought it strange for a hotel of this size that is not located right in a business district to not have a gift shop at all. I wanted some aspirin before my meeting. There was nothing on-site, and the staff sent me to a Rite-Aid some distance away. I did not have time to go there, and it would have been quite a hike without a car. Usually hotels half this size have essentials for sale or even for free behind the desk.

The people who helped with our function were excellent. The meeting room was well-prepared, and we had everything we asked for. Our food was ample, and the hotel staff very unobtrusively continued to check on everything. So, I guess I would say that this is a great place for a business function, but I would recommend staying overnight elsewhere in Lake Placid.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
JesseQuonce, Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

We appreciate the review of your stay with us. I certainly suggest staying with us during your leisure, in order to make use of our beautiful golf courses (or cross-country skiing during winter), off-site restaurants, private beach, tennis courts, and indoor pool and whirlpool. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations on this particular stay. Being situated so close to the Olympic Center, it is only natural that we usually have youth hockey in-house most weekends during the winter months. I apologize for any inconvenience our other guests may have caused you during your stay. Thank you for your return visit, I hope you can stay with us again.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Stayed here last year for the thanksgiving holiday (wednesday-sunday) and was really impressed with the hotel. Thought the rooms were beautiful, staff was friendly and views stunning. I have stayed at many crown plaza hotels as well as other Intercontinental Hotels and enjoy the great customer service they offer. What a difference a year makes though, this year the hotel was hosting a large majority of the Can/Am hockey tournament going on at the olympic center and we could barely enjoy any aspect of the hotel. Kids were running all over the place, up and down the halls, in the pool/hot tub, everywhere you looked! It wouldn't be so bad except there was no parent supervision and no hotel staff to enforce rules! One would think with all these extra people you would have adequate staff to ensure all guests could enjoy the hotel! To make matters worse this went on until 1am at night. When contacting hotel staff they said they had security doing their best to ensure the kids were quiet but they were overwhelmed and needed to bring additional security the next night. Even that did not work. I understand these groups may bring a great deal of revenue to the hotel, but it is managements responsibility to then adequately staff the hotel to ensure the comfort of all guests! I will definately think twice before staying here again. Ask if there is a large group, especially the can/am kids before you stay otherwise you will be in for a headache!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard C

Thank you for returning to our hilltop resort. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay this time around. As you noted, we have a great deal of youth hockey players who stay here almost every weekend between November and April. It should be noted that when making telephone reservations, we try our best to notify guests beforehand that we have hockey in-house during their reservation dates. I would suggest staying with us early in the week to avoid any potential discomfort. Thank you again for staying with us, we hope you can return again very soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Just finished a thanks giving dinner at the Crown with a group of over 40. We arrived in Lake placid from Ontario to play in the Can-Am hockey tournament. The buffet at the crown sounded great on paper.
We were seated in a corner of the dining area and the adults sat at two tables and the kids sat at the other two tables. After having a so so dinner (my opinion ) our one and only server came over with the bill. Even though I asked her before we ordered how are we doing the bills she replied " oh we will separate them" I figured she knew what she was doing and carried on. Well I should have asked more questions because we were handed a bill for each table. Just imaging tring to figure out with a group of over 40 who had what to drink and how do we separate this out. Some had cash and others had credit cards. It took us 30 min to get straightened out. The manager on duty said that the person who booked the reservations was told on the phone that that is how the bills would be handled. Like she knew the seating arrangements 500 miles away. How about maybe the server should of had some foresight and explained to the rest of us exactly how the bills would be handled. Or maybe the manger should have come over just once to see how out $ 1100 buffet meal was going.
Then after we thought this was all figured out we were told that if the cash and the credit cards didn't match the total he would just add it to the persons credit card that made the reservations.
Not acceptable so we waited another 10 min. Well he entered it all into there system.
If you don't want large groups at your hotel then don't offer a buffet when the largest hockey tournament of the year is hosted in your town.
Needs work guy's

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Timmer06

Thank you for reviewing our Thanksgiving Buffet at the Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club. I am surprised to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations. This year’s Thanksgiving Buffet was one of our largest to date, with over 600 dinners served. We separated your bill by table because we thought this would be more helpful to you than giving you one big check for all of your tables. Regardless, we apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you and your team. We very much look forward to hosting our annual Christmas Buffet and New Year’s Eve dinner this winter. Thank you again for your review and good luck to your team this season.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We had a beautiful view of Mirror Lake, which is in the heart of Lake Placid in the gorgeous high peaks of the Adirondacks. But a word of warning, if you ask for a handicapped room, you will have excellent access to the parking lot, but no view of the lake. Since my wife is only somewhat disabled physically, we realized that all rooms here had shower grab bars and that we didn't need a bathroom large enough for a wheelchair. So, we were allowed to switch rooms for slightly more money to a lake view--and what a view!

We had a room with a small balcony, but with an incredible view of Mirror Lake, especially in the morning. Meanwhile, the rooms are nicely kept up. One area of the hotel is newer, but even the older parts where we rested are nice. The hotel's common rooms are stylish and have a huge bar room and a somewhat smaller restaurant (where we ate breakfast). The bar room extends outside for a notable outside view of the lake.

But with every plus comes a minus! The view is so good because it's up on a hill overlooking the lake, but this means one has quite a long haul back up the hill to your room--unless you can figure out how to get one of the hotel vans to pick you up. I guarantee you, you will not want to walk up this hill more than once.

Meanwhile, the town of Lake Placid is stylish and home to one of the U.S. Olympic Team Training Centers. There are lots of restaurants and clothing stores. Saranac Lake is a somewhat smaller, but recently refurbished town about a 15 minutes drive away, so I'd go there as well. The entire area is filled with lakes, most of which are well worth driving around.

Room Tip: If you don't get a lake view, you're crazy. Saving money is stupid when you can see this.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
JesseQuonce, Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort hotel on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you had the opportunity to upgrade to a Lakeview Room. As you pointed out, we have a commanding view of Mirror Lake and the village from our hilltop location. To avoid the “hike” back up to the hotel from Main Street, I’d recommend jumping on the Lake Placid Express trolley, which makes several stops in the village, before arriving at the hotel. One lakeside trip that you can’t pass up is a walk or drive on Mirror Lake Drive. This loop around Mirror Lake is a terrific photo opportunity, especially during foliage season. Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay; we hope you can visit us again very soon.