“Great views, good location”

Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Lynnwood, Washington
“Great views, good location”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Desperate for a mini-vacation, I ran off to Lake Placid for a 3-day stay at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel is on a hill above town but it's an easy walk down to the (tacky) shops and restaurants of the tourist strip. Getting back to the hotel is a different matter! There's a free shuttle (Lake Placid Xprss) that stops at the Crowne Plaza and various points around town, but the website still has last summer's schedule and it seemed to be operating randomly anyway (in theory, I think it runs every 20-30 minutes).

The hotel itself seems to be in excellent condition. The outside entrance was getting a minor facelift while I was there; the interior areas that I saw looked well-maintained.

I reserved a run-of-house room, and at check-in was offered the chance to upgrade to a lake view for an extra $10. I did, and got a 4th-floor (highest floor) lake-view king with a little balcony (with a couple chairs) and a fantastic view! Unfortunately, this also meant that when I opened the balcony door to get fresh air, I also got to hear kids running around on the lawn in the morning and adults chatting away (outdoor tables adjacent to the bar) at night. There's also no screen door, so beware of the enormous Adirondack mosquitos that may drop in for a snack!

No problems with the room itself; the king bed was extra comfortable and the room was spacious. There was also a sofa (might have been a sofa bed?), a little fridge and microwave tucked into the dresser, a flat-screen TV, and a coffee maker in the bathroom. The sign in the bathroom stresses eco-friendly practices like hanging up any towels you used but don't need replaced; I hung up my bath towels but they got replaced anyway. Oh well. There's a toiletry basket in the bathroom (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, face soap, and bath soap) and another by the bed (ear plugs, eye mask, relaxing scent to spray on your pillows).

All the staff I encountered were friendly and efficient. Parking is a little tight - plenty of room for this time of year, but it must get difficult during busy times.

I ate just once at the hotel, which wasn't a highlight. My meal was acceptable, but the menu was pretty much limited to various proteins on top of capellini pasta. I was surprised that the hotel doesn't have a little snack/essentials shop, considering how far guests would have to walk to the nearest convenience-type store in town.

All in all, I would probably stay here again should I return to Lake Placid. It's not as convenient for dining/shopping as the hotels right on the main street (the Crowne Plaza really needs to publicize the shuttle!), but that also means it's quieter and you're not dodging so many pedestrians when you drive out to the various Adirondack attractions.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank perrik
JesseQuonce, Interactive Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
It’s great to hear that you took advantage of the upgrade; the Lake View rooms offer fantastic views. I am personally grateful that you followed the towel re-use program. I am currently working on “Green Engage,” an eco-friendly program rolled out by our parent company IHG. We use Green Engage to track utility usage, conservation activities, water consumption, and our overall sustainability. Thanks to your feedback, I will be sure to double-check with Housekeeping to ensure our towel re-use program is followed to a tee. We hope to see you again in the future!

Jesse Quonce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We went up for a late season ski trip to Whiteface. It is an excellent venue within walking distance to the village. Couple that with a shuttle that goes to and from the mountain and it turned out to be an excellent stay

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
JesseQuonce, Interactive Media Director at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
I find that March is one of the best times to be on Whiteface, whether skiing or hiking, as the conditions and temperature tend to be much more favorable. Kudos for taking advantage of the shuttle, it’s a great way to ski Whiteface without the hassle of parking. I’m glad to hear you had a great time, both here at the hotel and on the mountain. Hopefully you’ll keep us in mind when planning your next ski adventure. Thank you for the feedback.

Llantilio Pertholey
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel is located on a hill and there are spectacular views across the lake. Unfortunately the weather was appalling and so we missed a lot of the scenery. The rooms were fine, will be better when the renovations are done, we probably should have upgraded to a lake view. The boathouse restaurant is excellent, well priced, good service and lovely food. Would stay again if visiting in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
I’m very glad you had a chance to dine at the Boat House Restaurant. At the hotel, the first floor enhancements were just completed this week. More are on the way, with the addition of a much anticipated fitness center, adjacent to the hotel. I’m sorry you did not get a chance to see some of the spectacular mountain views, the sunrises are especially beautiful. I hope you get a chance to stay with us again. Thank you for your review.

Tonawnada, ny
Reviewed June 6, 2011

First let me start with the good
bed very nice
free wireless interent
room very nice, very clean, not elegant but very nice. housekeeping in my wing, room 170 was wonderful. Very sweet blong woman cleaning everyday, very nice and kind. 10 out of 10 for her. Also I met a couple of housekeeping supervisors who were very, very nice.
Room was clean as well as towels, linens, etc!
hotel is pretty, modern rustic I would call it.
nice views, pretty bar and view areas.

Now the not so good.
parking can be tight and spots are small
The hill you have to walk up and down to get to town is a long deep walk, many people had a hard time and just ended up driving.
not on the water.
the restaurants need to be open later, exspecially when there are conventions, busy times. I can tell you personaly the lost a lot of food orders due to the times they were open. They never went past 9 pm, for anywhere in hotel.
There isn't even a little store or anything in hotel.
That everyone complained about.

Some areas of the hotel that I walked by to get to my room were having parties in thier rooms, doors open, laughing, loud, going back and forth, etc.
I would have been really upset if it were me near these areas!
Luckly I had a small tucked away area, long walk to lobby but well worth it.

Walls a little thin if you have people next door who are not quiet you will hear it easily.
All in all I enjoyed my stay but for the price I think I could have done the same for a little cheaper.
I did like it and would stay again but just need to fine tune it more to entice people to want to come back.

It is also right next door to convention center

Room Tip: look around for pricing it varies a lot!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank nyJt
Thank you for your honest feedback. We recently began reviewing the hours of operation for our in-house restaurants in an effort to be more accommodating to our guests. I’m glad you had a chance to meet a few of the housekeeping staff; they are the heart and soul of our hotel, and some of the nicest people in all of Lake Placid. I have forwarded your concerns on to upper management, and shared them with the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again in the future.

Evans Mills, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed here for two nights for an Army Strong Bonds retreat. I cannot comment on the value of the resort as our fare was already paid. The hotel is very nicely located- not right on the water but only a five minute walk away. The hotel stands on the top of a hill which allows for gorgeous views on the lake side. The staff were excellent; very amicable and helpful. The hotel is currently under some renovations so there were a few spots that were "construction dirty" but the staff did a great job keeping that to a minimum. The food was wonderful, although the breakfast buffet was overpriced in my opinion. The Great Room Bar is a great place to have a night cap and enjoy the scenery. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
LakePlacidBizOwner, Owner at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Glad you enjoyed your stay with the Strong Bonds event! On behalf of the staff at the Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club, I salute your dedicated service to our Country. The improvements continue.......the first floor hallway refresh is now complete, and a brand new magnificent fitness center - located in a new area adjacent to the indoor pool - is now underway. Target completion date: September. No disruption of guest comfort since it's an exterior new build! Thanks again for staying at my family's owned and operated resort. Cristina Lussi
College Station, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Ending up "settling" for this hotel after another very high end resort in the area would honor a military discount during Memorial weekend.

What a sudden surprise. I will stay here exclusively for each trip to Lake Placid from now on. Not only is it within walking distance to downtown the view is great. Oh did I mention my dog was able to come on a short weekend vacation, too. YES, you can bring your dog with you. How fitting for such an outdoor location. Well it was my son and I and the 11yr old pointer. We needed breakfast and I mostly play by the rules. In fear the cleaners might come by while we were eating. I knew I had to take the dog. So I went to the front desk and asked if the dining room was pet friendly, too. Well not to my surprise it isn't. HOWEVER, they helped and had a solution that allowed us to eat breakfast, and it didn't have to be room service.
I was won over with the spectacular service. I am a frequent traveler and rarely feel a true sense of loyalty, other then to amenities and price. This definitely tips the scale in ones favor

Room Tip: Say please and thank you
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelerpadoc
LakePlacidBizOwner, Owner at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I have a special place in my heart for the men and women of the military - especially since my grandfather served as a medic with the 10th Mountain Division in WWII. On behalf of our Crowne Plaza family, I extend to you a hearty "Thank you" for helping to keep our country safe.
Houston, Tx.
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stayed at the Crown Plaza Lake Placid for one night on May 20, 2011. The hotel was great! It sits up on a hill, so you have a great veiw of the lake. Its centrally located, so you can walk to the shops. The front desk was very helpful & had a list of all the local restaurants & even made the reservations for us at The Boathouse restaurant.
We had a king size room with a pull out sofa. It was an extra $10 dollars to have a lake view & I found it well worth it! The view was beautiful! The room was spacious & the bed was comfy. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple