“Rainy arrival & departure (great soaking tub)”
Review of Placid Bay Inn

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I unfortunately timed my visit during heavy rains that persisted throughout my arrival until my departure. The disappointment I felt at not getting to sit in the Adirondack chairs and appreciate the view obviously was uncontrollable by the Inn management.

It was a little disappointing that the desk was going to close at 2100 aka 9 pm which made checking in and getting situated a little rushed to my liking. The evening staff of 1 was however very helpful.
I didn't like that there was to be no staff around from 9 - 9.
I made it just in time to request ice as the staff has to get it for you.
I didn't care about a view from the room as I knew I would never spend time in the room looking at a view that would always be better from outside.
My room was very convenient to my late arrival and the fact that there was no one to assist with bags etc. Convenient to parking and off and on loading.
I never heard another guest as I stayed in the room near the front by the office area.

My room was very clean and had everything I really needed. I loved the "fake" fireplace for the atmosphere and the new bath with the deep tub was a perfect way to ease away the soreness of the long day driving and touring.
I mistakenly had thought it was a B&B, so was disappointed that it was not; however the staff provided some recommendations for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry your experience was a rain-out. We hope you will give Lake Placid another chance to show you it's "sunny" side. Placid Bay Inn "On Lake Placid" is a small family operated Inn with only 19 rooms/suites and 2 cottages, that is why we are only open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. We do however have a person who lives on premise to watch out for any problems. We also have an emergency phone number posted on our front door. We do let folks know via our web site and confirmation that our office hours are 9am-9pm.
The only accommodations that have a 24 hour desk person and luggage porters are full service hotels, even though we try to ask folks that may need it, if they need assistance
If, a lodging property does not provide 24 hour desk service, Trip Advisor puts you (Inn) in the B&B/Inn category. There are many small properties in Lake Placid that are misclassified, and they (Trip Advisor) should have a separate listing for smaller properties, separate from B&B's. I'm very sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.
The "fake" fireplaces we use are the newest generation state-of-the-art electric fireplaces. They are both eco-friendly with 0 emmissions and are safer in a multi-unit building. They can provide extra heat in colder temperatures, and in the summer can be run without the heat on, which wood and gas can not do. :-) We have many folks comment on how real the flames/fire look.Our family run Inn hopes you will be able to visit another time, so that you can enjoy all the beauty Lake Placid and the Adirondack Park have to offer. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Let's be clear - the actual accommodations (the rooms) are not luxurious or spectacular at Placid Bay Inn. They are adequate, somewhat dated (though with nicer, recently updated bathrooms), and standard hotel-motel fare. But they are certainly good enough if you're planning on spending your time out and about in Lake Placid rather than holed up in your hotel room all weekend. What sets this lodging option apart are the extras that come with your stay. You have lake access, including a peaceful, lovely dock with Adirondack chairs, which is an excellent location for morning coffee or evening cocktails. There are also two canoes available for an hour paddle, at no extra cost to the guests. We really enjoyed a wonderful paddle around Paradox Bay and out into Lake Placid - it was an unexpected bonus to our trip. In addition, the location is close enough to the village to allow you to easily walk to dinner or breakfast, while being far enough past the downtown congestion to not feel too packed or crowded.

We spent most of our weekend exploring the Olympic venues and downtown Lake Placid.

Rooms were clean and the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. On top of all of this, the room was very reasonably priced. We would definitely stay there again for a weekend trip. Bottom line: Unless you're planning on spending your entire stay in the room and demand a luxurious accommodation to pamper you, then you'll be happy that you found this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our room was small but clean and comfortable. When we arrived we were told we had a small regular room but without a view. We asked to be moved to a room with a view of the lake and this was done for us. The room was light and bright and had everything we needed. Eventhough it is on a main street it was quiet. The woman at the desk was friendly and helpful and full of information for directions, restaurants, sites and other information. There are docks on the lake and they have canoes and kayaks for guest use.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My daughter, her boyfriend, and I shared the Deluxe Lakeside One Room Suite with 1 Queen and 1 Single bed for three nights this past week. My daughter and I have been coming to Placid Bay twice a summer for years and years. Each and every time we are met by the welcoming warmth of either Denise or Tyra. This family works endlessly to make each room, the grounds, and the service they provide as close to perfect as possible. Our room was impeccably clean and ready for our arrival. Placid Bay is located close to the village and is one of the only hotels in Lake Placid actually on the shores of the lake itself. The view from the back lawn is the best and having access to canoes is awesome. I really enjoy having my morning coffee while sitting in an Adirondack chair on the dock....gazing at Whiteface Mountain and visiting with the ducks swimming by. This place is a quiet little gem, run lovingly by a hard working, friendly family. We will return again and again! Thank you so much for your hospitality, Denise and Tyra!!! See you in August!

Room Tip: Kitchenettes are a great way to save some money! Dining out in LP can be pricey....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Its our repeat guests like you that make all our hard work seem effortless. We can't thank you enough for your continued support and patronage over the years. We take our guests vacation time serious because we know how difficult, in this day and age it is to get away and relax. I am so glad you and your daughter found our Family Inn and its always a pleasure seeing you guys and catching up. Look forward to having you back in August ladies:) All our best till than:)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Placid Bay Inn and were very happy with the service received. The rooms were very clean and the front desk staff were so friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed taking out the canoes that they had available to guests!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your service at our Inn and hope if there is anything we can do to improve your stay next time, you will let us know. We provide guest card/surveys in all our rooms to better be aware of any areas that need improvement or to simply let everyone know they are are doing a wonderful job. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future! Kind regards!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is the second year we've met as a family at Placid Bay Inn for a week at the end of June. The main purpose is for my son and husband to climb a mountain, but we also just love the area. Despite rain we managed to climb Mt. Marcy, canoe (the Inn has two good canoes), hike, play golf, run, and eat (a lot). Would definitely recommend the lake view suite; very private for all with great views of Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid. The thing about the Inn is its cleanliness. I can't help it; I look in all the corners and behind curtains, etc. and am very turned off if it's not clean. This place is clean! The furnishings are plain, but they've upgraded with flat screen HD TV's, and it's quietly air conditioned. The pool is refreshing and clean. Can't think of a thing I missed (and I was just at a very expensive NYC hotel the weekend before). Yes, there is not a fancy bed top and we could have used a dresser in our part of the suite, but the price is right, the views are fabulous and the Adirondack chairs by the lake inviting and relaxing. They take great care of the grounds and you can't find nicer innkeepers. Although it's located just outside the main village, it's easily walked and more and more restaurants and services are popping up in that part of town. Give it a try; you have little to lose.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great location on the lake a short distance from downtown. Staff were fabulous - very friendly and personal check-in experience. Scrupulous house-cleaning. We had a suite consisting of a Queen Bed with a minimalist kitchenette in one room and adjoining room with two double beds. So space was good. Sleep quality was the biggest problem though. Our rooms were next to the road with a lot of traffic noise with window open. While both rooms had air-conditioners, ours was the loudest most intrusive unit I've ever encountered, positioned above the bed and causing the room to shake. So while we enjoyed the location, the facilities and friendly staff, being able to have a good night's sleep is also a major priority which I managed to do on only one of our three nights.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the road if any exist
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family