“Great Room for A great ski trip.”
Review of Placid Bay Inn

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lee, Massachusetts
“Great Room for A great ski trip.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our stay at the inn was great. First when I called to book the room the woman who answered was extremely helpful. when we arrived a different woman at the front desk was also very helpful offering us directions to local necessities and attractions. Our room was nice and clean with a large closet and kitchenette area. Each day when we left to go skiing housekeeping cleaned the room immaculately. The view of the lake was very nice, and a good value for the Lake Placid area. We would definitely return to the hotel if we come back to Lake Placid. It also had a nice location close to all amenities.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a kitchenette. it only cost a few dollars more and it is well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Happy to hear your getaway to Lake Placid and stay with us was a very enjoyable and positive experience. Since we are a family run business, we treat everyone, as we would like to be treated when traveling. Thank you for appreciating our effort, our cleaning and our Inn. The Lakeside Queen with kitchenette room you stayed in, is one of my favorites as well, especially in the Summer when you can leave the windows open, feel the fresh breeze and get a lovely view of our gardens and the lake/Whiteface Mountain. Look forward to having such a nice couple stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you are looking for a reasonable, clean room just around the corner from main street in Lake Placid, here it is! I was there on a Thursday night and it was nice and quiet. I made a mistake with the on-line booking (only booked one night instead of two) and the staff were very helpful in finding me a room for the following night at another inn. This was much appreciated as it was the beginning of a holiday weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We are so glad we could help you find a room for your additional Friday night stay. We thank you for recognizing our effort with your considerate review. We have all made errors in booking, glad we could be of assistance, especially since it was a Holiday weekend. We look forward to having you as our repeat guest in the future!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We first visited Placid Bay Inn over the summer and were happy to find a room for a weekend getaway in January. We will definitely keep Placid Bay Inn as our top choice of places to stay in LP. It is a great location, the owner is very friendly and accommodating, it's clean and the rooms are nice. Love it!

Room Tip: Loved having the room with the kitchenette but it was booked...having a frig in the room with 2 doub...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy to hear you guys enjoyed your stay, despite not having the room with the kitchenette that you liked last time. We sure do appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed this room as well:) Our continued success comes from great repeat guests like you, so thank you again for taking the time to write a nice review. Looking forward to seeing you back here! All our best till than!
Toronto
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here this past weekend during a snowboarding trip. We stayed in the king bed + kitchenette room. We loved it, super cozy! Big closet with more than enough room for our snowboards, gear, and luggage. The kitchenette was perfect, we were able to make our own breakfasts and keep all our drinks cold. The bathroom was newly renovated and perfect size. The room was very clean, staff were super friendly, and the location was perfect - off the main strip but still close enough. We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a cozy place to relax after a long day on the mountain - we will for sure be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We are so happy to read you enjoyed your weekend away, here at the Placid Bay! Thank you for taking the time out, to write a review, it means so much to us that our guests enjoy their accommodations. We look forward to having you and your boyfriend back for a return visit, thank you again for your honest and thoughtful review! :)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I wanted to leave this review of the property after having an excellent stay at the Placid Bay Inn - Country Comfort Cottage during the first week of Jan 2013. The owner and staff were quite helpful during our stay and were quick to amend anything we needed (extra blankets, phone not working, etc). The cottage was smaller - but certainly roomy enough for our five person family (2 adults, 2 teens and a 5 yr old), It was nice to have a large woodstove, and it was treat to have the ability to open the doors and watch the fire burning after a day at the ski hill. A beautiful view out the living room window onto the lake. The kitchen was clean and stocked with pots and dishes. The beds were comfortable and my whole family enjoyed the cottage and I would stay here again. I was concerned when I first booked that this Inn would be 'typical' of other roadside inns and would be run down, tired, and dissapointing. This was not the case. The owner clearly has pride in her business and there was many 'little things' that were done right. I am happy to report that the Inn was cozy, clean, and fresh. As would be expected it - is not a five star resort, but it is easily everything it promised to be.

I would stand behind the four star rating I have given it.

The only disappointing part of my stay (and reporting this not to complain - but simply to make other travellers aware) was that I had come across this Inn through the Lake Placid web page. I had called the Inn showing interest in a stay and ski package and was told that I wasn't required to book this stay and ski over the phone - that the prices for the skiing would remain the same upon my arrival (irregardless if I booked the stay and ski originally, or simply booked the room and then paid for the discounted lift tickets at the Inn). Upon my arrival - I again mentioned the interest in skiing 3 days w the family and was told by staff that buying lift tickets daily would be the best option and that buying a 3 day pass would be of no difference. On my last day - the owner pointed out that buying a 3 day pass would have actually saved me money and that the staff was incorrect. The first two days I was able to purchase adult lift passes at $62, but then had to pay $72 on the third day. The owner asked me if the staff had explained that I could buy the Lake Placid "ultimate winter passport" (which I would totally recommend and if I could travel back in time - I wish I would have purchased for $180. 3 days of skiing, and skating on olympic rink, musuem, olympic facility, etc. I paid $62 for adult ticket through the Inn, and paid about $8-10 for each olympic facility. I wasn't pleased when I found out at the end of the trip about the package as It would have really helped earlier. The owner appears to be very caring and concerned about the clients and after a discussion (and she pointed out that these were all clearly listed on the website - which they were) she gave me a small discount on two adult lift passes to the mountain. I still felt that the onus was on the Inn during check-in to explain these options - but it didn't happen for us. Hopefully this incident will help in improving this area of the Inn operations.

Overall - a great stay. I would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay. Being that we are a family run business for over 32 years, we take great pride in our Inn, and are pleased that you noticed this. We enjoyed your family and are so glad you decided to choose the Placid Bay as your families' winter getaway. I personally apologize for the misunderstanding on the lift tickets. I did not know you wanted to ski a total of 3 days, which would in fact given you free winter passports. I was under the assumption you preferred taking the ski vouchers, 1 day at a time beacuse of the weather. Since you were departing on Saturday from our Inn, I did not know you had plans to ski at the mountain over the weekend or i would have pointed the higher rate out to you upon checking in. In any case, clearly it was a simple misunderstanding and I am glad Denise had extra Discounted Holiday lift tickets to provide for you @ $68.00, rather than the $77.00 Mountain rate. We hope you decide to come back and visit Lake Placid, perhaps in the Summer to experience the beauty of that season as well. All our best to you and the family!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We only needed a place to sleep after skiing so this was perfect for us. Clean and cozy room, easy check in, excellent service at the front desk. The Inn is not too far from the main road where all the shops and restaurants are but we drove and parked at the municipal parking when we went out dining as it was cold. In the summer it would be an easy walk. This place was the best deal we could find: we paid $109 a night for a room with a queen bed and had a discount on the ski lift tickets.

• Stayed December 2012
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you had a good time in Lake Placid and most importantly, you enjoyed your stay with us at the Placid Bay Inn. We hope to have you back for a return visit, perhaps when its warmer and you can enjoy our outdoor pool and canoes on the lake. Happy New Year! All our best the Dramm Family!
NYC
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Country Comfort Cottage during Columbus Day weekend. Let me start by saying that this cottage can hold 4 people comfortably; however, we enjoy having plenty of space. The staff was helpful and kind which is something I think is important. The cottage was located with a fantastic view of the bay; I spent the afternoons on the porch drinking a glass of wine. The porch was another one of the reasons I had decided to book that particular cottage (my favorite part). The cottage has its own kitchen which was very clean. You can bring your own breakfast foods if you would like, although there is a McDonalds a quick walk away if thats what you decide to do. The bathroom is a bit small but completely manageable. The bedrooms are upstars, they were mostly clean. There we several stains on the bedspreads, not a deal breaker.
Placid Bay is in a good location. You can walk into town if you so choose but wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. The walk home will be uphill and it is not that fun in windy weather. There are plenty of restaurants in the area; we enjoyed Cafe Rustica (good pizza). I unfortunately got sick after eating at Pan Dolce; lesson learned...no more wild mushroom risotto for me. My husband enjoyed his meal at Pan Dolce so I was just unlucky! Placid Bay Inn was very enjoyable and I will return one day to enjoy that wonderful view and crisp air. If you are looking for a clean relaxing place to stay while visiting Lake Placid you should consider Placid Bay Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jess22nyc
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I have to agree with you about the porch with the Country Comfort Cottage. Since this cottage is closest to the lake, you have a bit more privacy and its so peaceful and relaxing. The porch is a perfect spot to view the abundant wildlife in our quiet bay. Often the Heron come in to feed in the morning and early eveings and even an Osprey or Loons as well.
Our location is best suited for those who like being close to town, but not part of the hustle and bustle of downtown Main St. We are conveniently located with many dining spots as you mentioned, while having a more peaceful backyard setting, directly on the quiet Bay of Paradox on Lake Placid.
We also take great pride in our cleanliness and having the accommodations and grounds in tip top shape. As far as the bedspread that had the small stain (bleach mark), that has also been replaced. We replace all of the Comforter sets on an as needed basis, to always keep a fresh and updated look in our cottages. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our return guest. Happy New year!