“Will be back....”

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We first visited Placid Bay Inn over the summer and were happy to find a room for a weekend getaway in January. We will definitely keep Placid Bay Inn as our top choice of places to stay in LP. It is a great location, the owner is very friendly and accommodating, it's clean and the rooms are nice. Love it!

Room Tip: Loved having the room with the kitchenette but it was booked...having a frig in the room with 2 doub...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

So happy to hear you guys enjoyed your stay, despite not having the room with the kitchenette that you liked last time. We sure do appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed this room as well:) Our continued success comes from great repeat guests like you, so thank you again for taking the time to write a nice review. Looking forward to seeing you back here! All our best till than!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here this past weekend during a snowboarding trip. We stayed in the king bed + kitchenette room. We loved it, super cozy! Big closet with more than enough room for our snowboards, gear, and luggage. The kitchenette was perfect, we were able to make our own breakfasts and keep all our drinks cold. The bathroom was newly renovated and perfect size. The room was very clean, staff were super friendly, and the location was perfect - off the main strip but still close enough. We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a cozy place to relax after a long day on the mountain - we will for sure be returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

We are so happy to read you enjoyed your weekend away, here at the Placid Bay! Thank you for taking the time out, to write a review, it means so much to us that our guests enjoy their accommodations. We look forward to having you and your boyfriend back for a return visit, thank you again for your honest and thoughtful review! :)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I wanted to leave this review of the property after having an excellent stay at the Placid Bay Inn - Country Comfort Cottage during the first week of Jan 2013. The owner and staff were quite helpful during our stay and were quick to amend anything we needed (extra blankets, phone not working, etc). The cottage was smaller - but certainly roomy enough for our five person family (2 adults, 2 teens and a 5 yr old), It was nice to have a large woodstove, and it was treat to have the ability to open the doors and watch the fire burning after a day at the ski hill. A beautiful view out the living room window onto the lake. The kitchen was clean and stocked with pots and dishes. The beds were comfortable and my whole family enjoyed the cottage and I would stay here again. I was concerned when I first booked that this Inn would be 'typical' of other roadside inns and would be run down, tired, and dissapointing. This was not the case. The owner clearly has pride in her business and there was many 'little things' that were done right. I am happy to report that the Inn was cozy, clean, and fresh. As would be expected it - is not a five star resort, but it is easily everything it promised to be.

I would stand behind the four star rating I have given it.

The only disappointing part of my stay (and reporting this not to complain - but simply to make other travellers aware) was that I had come across this Inn through the Lake Placid web page. I had called the Inn showing interest in a stay and ski package and was told that I wasn't required to book this stay and ski over the phone - that the prices for the skiing would remain the same upon my arrival (irregardless if I booked the stay and ski originally, or simply booked the room and then paid for the discounted lift tickets at the Inn). Upon my arrival - I again mentioned the interest in skiing 3 days w the family and was told by staff that buying lift tickets daily would be the best option and that buying a 3 day pass would be of no difference. On my last day - the owner pointed out that buying a 3 day pass would have actually saved me money and that the staff was incorrect. The first two days I was able to purchase adult lift passes at $62, but then had to pay $72 on the third day. The owner asked me if the staff had explained that I could buy the Lake Placid "ultimate winter passport" (which I would totally recommend and if I could travel back in time - I wish I would have purchased for $180. 3 days of skiing, and skating on olympic rink, musuem, olympic facility, etc. I paid $62 for adult ticket through the Inn, and paid about $8-10 for each olympic facility. I wasn't pleased when I found out at the end of the trip about the package as It would have really helped earlier. The owner appears to be very caring and concerned about the clients and after a discussion (and she pointed out that these were all clearly listed on the website - which they were) she gave me a small discount on two adult lift passes to the mountain. I still felt that the onus was on the Inn during check-in to explain these options - but it didn't happen for us. Hopefully this incident will help in improving this area of the Inn operations.

Overall - a great stay. I would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay. Being that we are a family run business for over 32 years, we take great pride in our Inn, and are pleased that you noticed this. We enjoyed your family and are so glad you decided to choose the Placid Bay as your families' winter getaway. I personally apologize for the misunderstanding on the lift tickets. I did not know you wanted to ski a total of 3 days, which would in fact given you free winter passports. I was under the assumption you preferred taking the ski vouchers, 1 day at a time beacuse of the weather. Since you were departing on Saturday from our Inn, I did not know you had plans to ski at the mountain over the weekend or i would have pointed the higher rate out to you upon checking in. In any case, clearly it was a simple misunderstanding and I am glad Denise had extra Discounted Holiday lift tickets to provide for you @ $68.00, rather than the $77.00 Mountain rate. We hope you decide to come back and visit Lake Placid, perhaps in the Summer to experience the beauty of that season as well. All our best to you and the family!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We only needed a place to sleep after skiing so this was perfect for us. Clean and cozy room, easy check in, excellent service at the front desk. The Inn is not too far from the main road where all the shops and restaurants are but we drove and parked at the municipal parking when we went out dining as it was cold. In the summer it would be an easy walk. This place was the best deal we could find: we paid $109 a night for a room with a queen bed and had a discount on the ski lift tickets.

• Stayed: December 2012
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you had a good time in Lake Placid and most importantly, you enjoyed your stay with us at the Placid Bay Inn. We hope to have you back for a return visit, perhaps when its warmer and you can enjoy our outdoor pool and canoes on the lake. Happy New Year! All our best the Dramm Family!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Country Comfort Cottage during Columbus Day weekend. Let me start by saying that this cottage can hold 4 people comfortably; however, we enjoy having plenty of space. The staff was helpful and kind which is something I think is important. The cottage was located with a fantastic view of the bay; I spent the afternoons on the porch drinking a glass of wine. The porch was another one of the reasons I had decided to book that particular cottage (my favorite part). The cottage has its own kitchen which was very clean. You can bring your own breakfast foods if you would like, although there is a McDonalds a quick walk away if thats what you decide to do. The bathroom is a bit small but completely manageable. The bedrooms are upstars, they were mostly clean. There we several stains on the bedspreads, not a deal breaker.
Placid Bay is in a good location. You can walk into town if you so choose but wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. The walk home will be uphill and it is not that fun in windy weather. There are plenty of restaurants in the area; we enjoyed Cafe Rustica (good pizza). I unfortunately got sick after eating at Pan Dolce; lesson learned...no more wild mushroom risotto for me. My husband enjoyed his meal at Pan Dolce so I was just unlucky! Placid Bay Inn was very enjoyable and I will return one day to enjoy that wonderful view and crisp air. If you are looking for a clean relaxing place to stay while visiting Lake Placid you should consider Placid Bay Inn.

1  Thank Jess22nyc

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I have to agree with you about the porch with the Country Comfort Cottage. Since this cottage is closest to the lake, you have a bit more privacy and its so peaceful and relaxing. The porch is a perfect spot to view the abundant wildlife in our quiet bay. Often the Heron come in to feed in the morning and early eveings and even an Osprey or Loons as well.
Our location is best suited for those who like being close to town, but not part of the hustle and bustle of downtown Main St. We are conveniently located with many dining spots as you mentioned, while having a more peaceful backyard setting, directly on the quiet Bay of Paradox on Lake Placid.
We also take great pride in our cleanliness and having the accommodations and grounds in tip top shape. As far as the bedspread that had the small stain (bleach mark), that has also been replaced. We replace all of the Comforter sets on an as needed basis, to always keep a fresh and updated look in our cottages. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our return guest. Happy New year!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Lake Placid for a conference at High Peaks Resort...However High Peaks was booked solid in July for this period of days. Placid Bay was close by and based on the description of the room on-line had a much better price point. I was pleased to find this alternative and really enjoyed our time there.

We had a very lengthy stay. 10 days, so I believe I was able to see what the hotel offers and note all the good points as well as make a few suggestions.

Overall we were well pleased with our stay. The staff is friendly, conversational, and willing to make adjustments for late arrivals, etc. We were very late arriving, after an 11 hour drive...and I love the fact that in this day and age, there is still the honor system in place. Denise left our room unlocked, the key on the table and told us just to check in the next morning. Lovely service...and very appreciated for those moments you just want to crash into your pillow.

The outside of the hotel is very quaint, and vintage. But extremely solid and well-cared for. I love the landscaping, lovely manicured flower beds out back by the lake. This shows how well you love this little place, and the affection is obviously mutual.

The rooms are quite cozy..(smallish) and after 10 days I was ready to be in a room all by myself for a bit! :-) Nothing was mis-represented on-line or in the pictures...but it is a room based on a bygone sense of design. Everything is tightly fitted and there isn't a lot of extra room around the bed or table. My husband brought his road bike for some recreational cycling and finding a decent place for the bike in the room without leaning it up against something I wanted access to in the next five minutes was a challenge.

The bathroom was beautifully redone, the fixtures and tub were sparkling and looked brand new even though the renovation was at least a year or two ago. I love that there was a full-size medicine cabinet for us to use to store our numerous toiletries for our extended stay.

The bed was surprisingly comfortable, and had a nice thick topper on it. There were plenty of pillows, and everything was freshly laundered and smelled nice and fresh. None of that "questionable" bedding you would see at other discounted hotel/motels.

The kitchenette was perfectly stocked for two people. Toaster, coffee maker, mini-fridge, utensils, cutting board, knife, bowls, dish pan and drainer, etc. were all available to us.

Housekeeping was wonderful, and we tipped accordingly. After a long day at conference, it was such a joy to come back to a room that had been tidied up, cleaned, and our breakfast dishes were always washed and put away. Marvelous!

A few minor suggestions.
during the next renovation, please consider adding some insulation to the walls. We stayed over two busy weekends, and our neighbors on both sides were considerably "noisy" on several occasions. Particularly late at night, and sometimes there was little left to the imagination as to their activity. Also plumbing noises could be quite loud on occasion, so much so that we had to shut closet and bathroom doors in order to mute the pipe noises.

If possible invest in a water saving shower head. It increases water pressure delivered, while reducing overall usage. My thick hair needed a little more oomph to get the conditioner all the way out. But everything worked and I can't really complain

We really did enjoy our stay, and would definitely come back again, the next time without needing to have dressy clothes. I recommend Placid Bay for anyone wising to find a good place at a fairly reasonable price.

Room Tip: Stairs are pretty steep only those with strong contitutions need apply.
2  Thank Jody L
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We arrived mid week late afternoon and thought we found a real gem, lovely room, friendly staff, excellent rate, could not be better. By next morning wished ourselves elsewhere. Before dawn we woke to a loud rumbling and thought perhaps an armed invasion was taking place. We then discovered that the street in front of the hotel is a truck detour. This appears to be short term, the detour signs and stoplights are the portable type, but for the time being it seems trucks in the area are being sent this way and because the intersection is rather tight they must sit and idle until they can move forward. As they sat there idling the noise was such we actually had to raise our voices to hear each other over morning coffee. One heavily loaded semi actually shook the building as it sat at the red light. Gravel trucks from the construction site up the road start before 8:00 and roll all day. Although the hotel itself is lovely I cannot recommend it until the traffic situation is rectified. This is unfortunate for the owner, the property is well groomed and the rooms very clean and of course the traffic is beyond his control, but I would not stay there again.

1  Thank NousAllons