“Relaxing Weekend Getaway”

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Country Comfort Cottage during Columbus Day weekend. Let me start by saying that this cottage can hold 4 people comfortably; however, we enjoy having plenty of space. The staff was helpful and kind which is something I think is important. The cottage was located with a fantastic view of the bay; I spent the afternoons on the porch drinking a glass of wine. The porch was another one of the reasons I had decided to book that particular cottage (my favorite part). The cottage has its own kitchen which was very clean. You can bring your own breakfast foods if you would like, although there is a McDonalds a quick walk away if thats what you decide to do. The bathroom is a bit small but completely manageable. The bedrooms are upstars, they were mostly clean. There we several stains on the bedspreads, not a deal breaker.
Placid Bay is in a good location. You can walk into town if you so choose but wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. The walk home will be uphill and it is not that fun in windy weather. There are plenty of restaurants in the area; we enjoyed Cafe Rustica (good pizza). I unfortunately got sick after eating at Pan Dolce; lesson learned...no more wild mushroom risotto for me. My husband enjoyed his meal at Pan Dolce so I was just unlucky! Placid Bay Inn was very enjoyable and I will return one day to enjoy that wonderful view and crisp air. If you are looking for a clean relaxing place to stay while visiting Lake Placid you should consider Placid Bay Inn.

1  Thank Jess22nyc
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I have to agree with you about the porch with the Country Comfort Cottage. Since this cottage is closest to the lake, you have a bit more privacy and its so peaceful and relaxing. The porch is a perfect spot to view the abundant wildlife in our quiet bay. Often the Heron come in to feed in the morning and early eveings and even an Osprey or Loons as well.
Our location is best suited for those who like being close to town, but not part of the hustle and bustle of downtown Main St. We are conveniently located with many dining spots as you mentioned, while having a more peaceful backyard setting, directly on the quiet Bay of Paradox on Lake Placid.
We also take great pride in our cleanliness and having the accommodations and grounds in tip top shape. As far as the bedspread that had the small stain (bleach mark), that has also been replaced. We replace all of the Comforter sets on an as needed basis, to always keep a fresh and updated look in our cottages. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our return guest. Happy New year!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Lake Placid for a conference at High Peaks Resort...However High Peaks was booked solid in July for this period of days. Placid Bay was close by and based on the description of the room on-line had a much better price point. I was pleased to find this alternative and really enjoyed our time there.

We had a very lengthy stay. 10 days, so I believe I was able to see what the hotel offers and note all the good points as well as make a few suggestions.

Overall we were well pleased with our stay. The staff is friendly, conversational, and willing to make adjustments for late arrivals, etc. We were very late arriving, after an 11 hour drive...and I love the fact that in this day and age, there is still the honor system in place. Denise left our room unlocked, the key on the table and told us just to check in the next morning. Lovely service...and very appreciated for those moments you just want to crash into your pillow.

The outside of the hotel is very quaint, and vintage. But extremely solid and well-cared for. I love the landscaping, lovely manicured flower beds out back by the lake. This shows how well you love this little place, and the affection is obviously mutual.

The rooms are quite cozy..(smallish) and after 10 days I was ready to be in a room all by myself for a bit! :-) Nothing was mis-represented on-line or in the pictures...but it is a room based on a bygone sense of design. Everything is tightly fitted and there isn't a lot of extra room around the bed or table. My husband brought his road bike for some recreational cycling and finding a decent place for the bike in the room without leaning it up against something I wanted access to in the next five minutes was a challenge.

The bathroom was beautifully redone, the fixtures and tub were sparkling and looked brand new even though the renovation was at least a year or two ago. I love that there was a full-size medicine cabinet for us to use to store our numerous toiletries for our extended stay.

The bed was surprisingly comfortable, and had a nice thick topper on it. There were plenty of pillows, and everything was freshly laundered and smelled nice and fresh. None of that "questionable" bedding you would see at other discounted hotel/motels.

The kitchenette was perfectly stocked for two people. Toaster, coffee maker, mini-fridge, utensils, cutting board, knife, bowls, dish pan and drainer, etc. were all available to us.

Housekeeping was wonderful, and we tipped accordingly. After a long day at conference, it was such a joy to come back to a room that had been tidied up, cleaned, and our breakfast dishes were always washed and put away. Marvelous!

A few minor suggestions.
during the next renovation, please consider adding some insulation to the walls. We stayed over two busy weekends, and our neighbors on both sides were considerably "noisy" on several occasions. Particularly late at night, and sometimes there was little left to the imagination as to their activity. Also plumbing noises could be quite loud on occasion, so much so that we had to shut closet and bathroom doors in order to mute the pipe noises.

If possible invest in a water saving shower head. It increases water pressure delivered, while reducing overall usage. My thick hair needed a little more oomph to get the conditioner all the way out. But everything worked and I can't really complain

We really did enjoy our stay, and would definitely come back again, the next time without needing to have dressy clothes. I recommend Placid Bay for anyone wising to find a good place at a fairly reasonable price.

Room Tip: Stairs are pretty steep only those with strong contitutions need apply.
2  Thank Jody L
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We arrived mid week late afternoon and thought we found a real gem, lovely room, friendly staff, excellent rate, could not be better. By next morning wished ourselves elsewhere. Before dawn we woke to a loud rumbling and thought perhaps an armed invasion was taking place. We then discovered that the street in front of the hotel is a truck detour. This appears to be short term, the detour signs and stoplights are the portable type, but for the time being it seems trucks in the area are being sent this way and because the intersection is rather tight they must sit and idle until they can move forward. As they sat there idling the noise was such we actually had to raise our voices to hear each other over morning coffee. One heavily loaded semi actually shook the building as it sat at the red light. Gravel trucks from the construction site up the road start before 8:00 and roll all day. Although the hotel itself is lovely I cannot recommend it until the traffic situation is rectified. This is unfortunate for the owner, the property is well groomed and the rooms very clean and of course the traffic is beyond his control, but I would not stay there again.

1  Thank NousAllons
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were on vacation in the Adirondacks and decided to take a trip to Lake Placid on Friday night Sept 21, and see if we could get a room. After a couple of enquiries and expensive quotes, we happened upon Placid Bay Inn. The owner was very friendly and welcoming. We had a queen room with a very clean and roomy bathroom and a view of the lake. It was inexpensive and just what we needed. Adirondack chairs by the lake out the back to watch the sun set and hear the wildlife, boats to take out if we wanted a paddle. We'll definitely be back to stay here. We really recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jsheehy
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable last minute getaway. Thank you for your kind words and your recommendation of our Inn. Being a family run business for 32 years, we have a great number of repeat customers; we most certainly look forward to adding you as one of them. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with others. :)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I chose the Inn based on Ratings and comments in Trip Advisor. The room I had was clean, but very small on the upper level. I would rate it a step above a Motel6 or Super 8 motel in terms of quality, but certainly not to the B&B standards I've experienced elsewhere throughout the US and Canada. Also, this is the only place I've stayed recently that didn't include breakfast. And since the local breakfast places don't open til 9, that only left McDonalds for an early brekkie. Not how I like to start my day, but better than nothing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Blair C

We are disappointed to read that although your stay with us was, "good", it wasn't "great". We pride ourselves in advertising our Inn as accurately as possible through correct verbage along with actual photos of the various accommodations we offer, as to not disappoint our customers. We are an Inn, NOT a B&B, unfortunately perhaps this was misunderstood. Although we do not provide meals at our Inn, there are in fact, several breakfast spots less than a 5 min walk from us. Despite it not being our "peak" season in Lake Placid, these establishments open up normally between 6- 7:00am. Lastly, the room the customer refers to as being very small, is one of our most economical rooms, and is advertised as being "cozy", along with photos. We find despite the size of some of these rooms they tend to be the most popular, especially for our "value" based clientele. We appreciate your opinion, and value your comments.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

...I was able to share with my cousin last week. We researched a number of hotels in the area and decided upon the reviews we read to give the Placid Bay Inn a try. We were not disappointed!! We shared one of the kitchenette rooms and found it to be very clean and nicely laid out. Our host was informative and friendly and quick to ask if there was anything needed when we would see her during our stay. Really enjoyed sipping coffee lake side, paddling about in the canoe, and watching the ducks wandering around the lakeshore. I'm looking forward to a return trip in the future and sharing this gem with my husband.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience with others. We are so glad to read you had a very nice and relaxing time and our property was exactly what you were looking for. We look forward to having you back, next time with your husband. Many thanks again for your kind words; as a family run Inn for 32 years these mean a great deal:)

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Very clean, nice bathroom. Denise was very pleasant with us & gave us a very nice service. Nothing to complain. We were locking for a small clean & quiet place to stay & we were very satisfied. When we will bo back to Lake Placid we will go back to Lake Placid Bay Inn. Thank you Denise & family for all you did.
MURIELLE GUY & NORMAND GUY
ROLAND PAQUETTE & HELENE PAQUETTE

Room Tip: What you see in the Internet is what you get
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

What a great group of people! We are so happy to hear your stay was enjoyable and you were all well taken care of. We look forward to having you come back and stay with us again on your next return visit to Lake Placid!