“Lovely waterfront place”

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at the Placid Bay inn in June. The weather was terrible. It rained almost during all our vacation, but we enjoyed the place. Our room wasn't huge, but it was clean. I find it's not too expensive for what you get and you can use their canoes. Next time I will go for a waterfront room because the main street is very busy. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
We will go there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marilena7

Reviewed July 15, 2011

The welcome when we arrived was extremely friendly, and the room was very clean, but the bed was downright awful. It mattress was little better than a cot mattress. Both my husband and I ended up in a great deal of pain by morning. The bathroom looked like it was newly remodeled, but the bathtub/shower is extremely narrow, and the accordion shower door protrudes into the already narrow space, even when it's closed, so that you can't face the shower head without your shoulders pushing against both the wall and the shower door. Consequently, it's not very easy to manouver around in the shower. The price of the room was reasonable, but I've rated it low on value, because it doesn't matter how cheap it is if you can't get a good night's sleep. I wouldn't stay here again because the bed was so bad.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pamlog
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in a room with one queen bed. The staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean and comfortable, and the property was absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed sitting out back looking at the lake and mountains, using the canoe (which is free and they supply life jackets for both adults and children), and walking to the village frequently. It's also close to a grocery store, mini golf, and other restaurants that aren't right in the village. We'd happily stay at Placid Bay Inn again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsey535
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We first visited the Placid Bay Inn when my now 18 year-old daughter was two and just returned from our 10th visit. We have never considered staying anywhere else in Lake Placid .Denise, the owner, has always been helpful and cooperative.The room inside are typical hotel furnishings, but the beauty right outside the door is far from typical. Denise provides Adirondack chairs and a picnic table where one can sit and marvel at nature at it's finest. Placid Bay Inn is right on Lake Placid (which is made very clear...Lake Placid not Mirror Lake) with a beautiful view of Whiteface Mountain. Canoes are available free of charge. Within walking distance is a boat rental facility where one can rent a motor boat for tubing, water-skiing, etc( Motor boats are not allowed on Mirror Lake.). It is absolutely possible to walk into town, but there are municipal lots available for those who wish to drive. We know that we will return to the Placid Bay Inn again in the future. If Denise allowed pets, we would give it 10 stars !!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynngbean
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed one night with our 16yr old daughter during our trip all over New England. We had a top floor room with 2 double beds which had a view towards the lake. It was clean and the bathroom appeared recently refurbished. The air conditioning was very noisy so we could not use it overnight but as it was not too hot we were ok temperature wise with the window open. However this gave us some different noise problems during the night when at about 6am the chimney at the bck of the house started being very noisy. Please also note that the hotel is on the main road and does not serve breakfast. We did find a great place for breakfast just down the road though by car.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We chose this Inn for several reason. First of all, they claimed that the Inn is right on the main road of Lake Placid, the town. That's not exactly true - the cute town center is a long way down the hill and around the corner. Too far to walk (especially the way back up the hill!) if you've had a long day and are tired. Secondly, we had looked for a place with an outdoor pool since my 13-year-old is not keen on lake swimming. It turned out the weather over the long July 4 weekend was not great at all and on the only nice day - we'd been busy at the horse show all day and were really looking forward to taking a welcomed plunge - the folks from the Inn had decided to close the pool early!!! Very disappointing, indeed! To sum it up, one is better off staying at a place on Mirror Lake (that is the one right by the town center) and an Inn with an indoor pool as the weather in Lake Placid tends to be unpredictable and it can be cool and rainy even in the middle of summer. Next year we know better!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

We would like to thank this and every guest for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry the guest was not completely happy with our location. We try to explain to each person booking via phone or internet that "we are located on Saranac Avenue which is an extension of Main St., approximately 1/4 mile or ten (10) minute walk to downtown. We are located on Lake Placid, not Mirror Lake. Mirror Lake is a smaller Lake with Main St. running along one side. We include a map of the village with our our location both on our web site and emails we send out to upcoming guests. We do not try to mislead anyone about our location.

Our outdoor pool hours are 11 AM to 9 PM, barring bad weather. On July 2nd, I opened the pool early at 10:30 AM, and closed the pool at 8:50 PM. Our office closes at 9 PM, and no one had gone in the pool since 6:30 PM, so I closed it 10 minutes early. I saw the guest checking out in the morning and she told me she was upset, and would not stay with us again, because the pool had closed ten minutes before it should have. I did apologize, and asked why she didn't come into the office and I would have opened the pool. Again I apologize to this guest, it had been a 13 hour day for me and I was getting everything ready to close for the evening.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed in a room with a queen size bed with a kitchenette. It was very clean. the kitchenette had plates, silverware, toaster, coffeemaker, dish towlels, microwave, and refrigerator. All of the items were clean and orderly. We made reservations 3 days in advance and they had rooms available. I think this is a great little undiscovered hotel in Lake Placid. Quiet. good for couples or a family. Price was good! I would call this place first if I go to Lake Placid again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family