“Grossly overpriced, inaccurate room description”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed September 10, 2010

When booking room I viewed it online and stated that the room appeared dark and gloomy. Was assured this was just the picture and that it had full lake and mountain views, and that it was a quiet room as only 3 on this floor level. At check-in was again told full lake views. Reality was that this room was very dark, little sunlight came in. Lake and mountain views exist only if you walk up to the window and look out, and even then view is obscured by a dormer roof that stick out. Also, although only 3 rooms on this floor, it is the transfer floor for back buildiing so it gets a lot of traffic, and family traffic at that - kids running up and down crossover hallway. What they didnt' say was the elevator is immediately outside the door, and the bed against this wall so you literally have people and kids talking, yelling etc 5 feet from your pillow.

The room rate equated to a level charged by 5 star hotels and yet you have to pay for internet service, the breakfast is buffet only which is over $20 PP so if you just want coffee and a donut you are out of luck.

When I spoke to management about how I questioned the room and the answers given by the staff, I received a sorry must be a training issue response and that was it.

Very friendly staff, nice location but way way way overpriced for the level of rooms. etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
MLI, Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to speak with me by phone last week. I appreciated you sharing your feedback and for your comments about your stay. As we discussed, we have already made a couple of changes with our reservations staff in the way in which the particular suite that you reserved is described to our guests so that others are not disappointed as you were. In the future, please feel free to ask your breakfast server about lighter fare items that may not be part of our Hearty Adirondack Breakfast buffet and they would be happy to accommodate you. Again, it was nice speaking with you and I am glad to hear that we can look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Christopher Jarvis
Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 3, 2010

There are too many complimentary things to say about this Inn so i'll keep it short by saying everything they have there is fabulous:
Room: Noonmark room where our 2 children and I felt incredibly comfortable in the beds with lots of pillows (always a good sign).
Activities: Didn't really need to venture far from the Inn, their access to the lake included free use of boats, paddle boats and kayaks as well as 2 different docks to swim to and laze on. They even had pails and kids stuff for their beach enjoyment.
They have a great outdoor pool as well!
The View restaurant: Food was very good, children nicely accomodated and each meal came with a glass of wine (yummy). As well, the bartender made a really good vodka martini.
Location: Perfectly situated close to the beautiful main street of Lake Placid where the shops are fabulous.
Staff: Each person was perfectly nice. Not overly sugarery nor bothersome. Just perfectly friendly and helpful.
Gardens: I have never seen such a well-maintained, beautiful amount of flowers, plants and babbling brooks throughout a property.
Stay here!

1  Thank parisfamilyNewJersey
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Removed a bit from the "main drag'' in LP, the mirror lake inn is a really nice place to stay. Not inexpensive, but the food is really quality (good food is important to me and my wife!), the "beach" on the lake is great (we went for the 4th), and the bar on the lake...a part of the hotel...is pretty fun. The service was very accommodating. The scenery is very relaxing and this is a great spot in the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnTheRoadAgain78
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Although this hotel looks great on it's website, it is actually better in person. I stayed for 4 nights with my teenage son and daughter and found the Mirror Lake Inn outstanding in every way. The buildings themselves were so beautiful that we took pictures and sent them to envious friends and the location could not have been better. The staff was unfailingly courteous and helpful. Our room had a nice view of the lake and was extremely comfortable. I'd say that my bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in in any hotel. Another great feature was how quiet the rooms were. There were small children staying in the room above us and we could hear their footsteps when we were in the bathroom, but not when we were in the main room! Excellent sound-proofing! The breakfasts in The View restaurant were above average, though not perfect because it's hard to achieve that with a buffet-style. Although our stay was a bit pricey, I believe it was worth every penny. My two children, ages 15 and 12, thought so too! Should I make another trip to Lake Placid, I would definitely stay at the Mirror Lake Inn again.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Overall, we greatly enjoyed our stay. The location can't be beat. The hotel is at the end of the town so is quieter but still within easy walking distance to town. We had a room on the 4th floor "Marcy floor" in the "Terrace" Bldg wing, with excellent views of the lake. Private covered balcony with small table and two dining chairs. The deck has indoor/outdoor carpeting and is very comfortable on the feet. The room had a combination of dark wood floors and dark carpeting. There was also dark wood wainscotting to about 3 feet all the walls. The furniture is heavy wood and visually impressive and antique-looking but was also very dark. The floor tile in the bathroom and the shower tile was also very dark as was the vanity, and there was also dark wood wainscotting in the bathroom. During sunlight hours, the room was fine but at night and when cloudy/raining outside, it was very dark and consequently had a somewhat oppressive feel to me. There was not adequate lighting given all the dark furnishings. Room had a sofa and upholstered chair with ottoman. The sofa and chair were very deep and lounge-like. OK for lounging but not comfortable for sitting to read..and not enough light to read comfortably. The Terrace Bldg is connected to the main bldg via long, long corridors. The corridors were also very dark. Wallpaper was very "Victorian". Could use updating to keep the Victorian feel without making you feel like you are at your grandmother's house. The "beach" area is delightful but do not go for the "beach". It is very, very small whose primary purpose apprears to be to provide kids a place to play in the sand. There is not enough room to put beach lounge chairs on the beach.. But, the grassy area adjacent to the beach is suitable for this purpose. They also place some chairs back on the grassy areas amongst the garden flowers, the location of which we found delightful. Speaking of flowers, there are beautiful flowers all around the inn and they appear to be well-tended. A variety of non-powered boasts are provided free of charge. My husband and I each had three spa services. We highly recommend the deep tissue massage and I recommend the custom facial. We each also had craniofascal therapy which we highly DO NOT recommend. It was a total waste of $110 (each). We had thought it would be 50 minutes worth of scalp massage. It was not. It was more of a laying on of hands over different areas of the body.. no scalp massage whats-so-ever.. Very restful but did not seem to require much skill and was not what I thought I paid for. The spa area itself is truly a sanctuary. It is located on the ground floor below the main lobby however, As such, it is necessary to go through the main lobby to get to/from it. This also applies to the indoor pool. I found this very awkward situation. The indoor pool has adirondack themed decor and includes a very, very large whirlpool and also a sauna. We enjoyed the indoor pool area very much. Exercise room is well-equipped. It is located on the ground floor adjacent to spa and inddor pool. Window open only adjacent grade driveway. The exercise room view is not what I expected from the on-site description, but, all cardio stations did have flat screen TVS (bring your own earphones) so the lack of view was not a factor. We also ate dinner at The View restaurant. The food was excellent. The restaurant is on the 2nd floor at the front of the inn. Too low to have a good view of the lake from that elevation, so I consider the name inappropriate. The decor was also not appealing to me, but, the food made up for these shortcomings.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

Great Location – Montgomery Village, Maryland

Thank you for being our guest. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you thought our location can’t be beat. We are pleased that you would recommend us to your friends and that you enjoyed the flowers as well at the food. We use high wattage bulbs in our guest room lamps however, if you prefer we can provide more lamps, just let us know. Additionally, the chandelier in your room is on a dimmer switch.

There is an elevator in the main building that you can take from the 2nd floor down to the lower level where the Spa and indoor pool are if you would rather not walk through the lobby. This is noted on the map provided at check in and is also in our guest room directory.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Crainiosacral Therapy Spa service. This energy work is very light pressure on the spine, shoulders and head to improve circulation and re-establish freedom of motion. A scalp massage is not part of this therapy.

Regarding the views, the vast majority of our guests feel there are excellent views from the restaurant and exercise room. We receive many positive comments about the views and have even had guests send us their pictures and enter our website photo contest with pictures of the beautiful views.

Again thank you for being our guest and for your feedback. We look forward to see you again soon.

Carl Gronlund

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn in early August for four nights. The purpose of the trip was leisure, and my husband and I made the trip with our two children, ages six and nine. Overall, the hotel was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious, we had a nice balcony with a view of the water (ours was one of the "Cloudsplitter" rooms). The well-equipped beach at the lake was perfect for the kids and included kayaks and other boats for use by the guests. The indoor pool was fun and perfect for cool, rainy mornings. The hotel is located within an easy walk of downtown, right along the walking path that stretches around Mirror Lake. It is also close the the Lake Placid marina, which offers scenic boat trips. We ate one night at The Cottage restaurant, at which the service was prompt and friendly and the food was of good quality. Our only real problem was our last night when we at one of the other restaurants, The Taste Bistro. To make a long story short, the service was less than prompt or attentive and we ended up asking to leave before our meals were finished. The manager, however, more than made up for the poor service by coming over personally to apologize (I guess she was short-staffed that night), taking care of the entire check, and sending the remainder of our meal to our rooms. The food was excellent, by the way. One recommendation I would make is for the hotel to provide more in-room options for drying wet bathing suits and towels.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

The location is beautiful, the lobby cleverly divided into smaller sitting areas and cosy nooks and crannies and the two sided fireplace with the comfortable library on one side that invites you to relax, read, play games or talke and above all the service is superior. The outdoor pool is surrounded by beautiful wild flowers carefully attended by their plant specialist. The view from the pool was great and as a lap swimmer I was in heaven. The spa included in the amenities was fun and well kept. The only issue was that later in the evening the children used it as if it were a water theme park and there was no staff there to regulate this behavior at that time. The rooms were very beautifully furnished, but I did find the beds a bit too firm.
The biggest point for me was the service which was superior. I found the staff to be remarkably friendly, helpful and warm. You would think it might be stuffy but uniformly it was responsive and warm and friendly. This went for EVERYONE from front desk, to maintenance staff.
It is expensive, more than we usually spend but I came away feeling so relaxed and happy that I loved to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for being our guest! In the future if you would prefer a softer mattress we do have feather beds which go on top of the mattress and we would be happy to provide you with one, just let us know. We are happy that you had an enjoyable experience and we look forward to your return.

Carl Gronlund