“Wow”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Hamilton, NY
“Wow”
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Every year my four sisters and I go away together for a weekend together. This year we went to the Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid, NY. We arrived on a Friday just in time for afternoon tea and their famous Chocolate Chip Cookies. We stayed in the amazing Skylight Suite. That night we went to "The Cottage" which is part of the Mirror Lake Inn, across the street, for dinner. We felt right at home and enjoyed a wonderful meal together with great food. The staff
throughout the entire weekend was so accommodating and made us all feel like royalty. Saturday we went to their spa/salon. We had massages, pedicures and manicures. My massage was given in a room with a fireplace. Never have I received such special treatment and made to feel so comfortable. We did enjoy the shops in town that day but we were happiest right at the Inn. That night we went to "The View" for dinner right in the Inn and if everything else wasn't enough what a way to end such an amazing weekend. The meal was marvelous. Our weekend at the Mirror Lake Inn was by far the best my sisters and I have ever had. We made many happy memories there and memories we will never forget. Thanks much to the Mirror Lake Inn and their staff. We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Our Suite,the food and the Spa
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LadyLilyBelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
Carleton Place
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Mirror Lake Inn can not be topped in Lake Placid. There might be a place just as well run but I don't think it's possible. Mirror Lake Inn is a total service experience. The Food. The view. The location. The spa. We will never go anywhere else without comparing them to Mirror Lake Inn. Nothing I say here will prepare you for your stay at this fine Inn. We have already decided to make this Inn an annual event for our family.

Stayed April 2007
5 Thank four4fun
san francisco
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We generally prefer going to independently owned restaurants, not chains. We don't mind paying for a nice experience. The View came highly recommended and we were impressed with the level of quality in every way. Professional staff. Beautiful room. Great service. Food prep and presentations were every bit as good as our hometown restaurants in San Francisco. So, much to our surprise, this restaurant along with the Kanu at the Whiteface Lodge were the dining highlights of the trip.

7 Thank allymasusie
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed February 21, 2007

My friends and I went to the Mirror Lake Inn for a girls weekend in February, 2007. The service at the Inn is top notch and this includes everyone from staff at the spa, hotel and restaurant. Service definitely comes with a smile at the Mirror Lake Inn. We all had a great experience at the spa with our facials, massages and whirlpool. Time spent at the Inn in the hang out areas was as good as I remembered from a previous trip there with my husband. You feel like you could stay forever. The greatest part though was a fantastic dinner at the main restaurant, the View. We all chose seafood and it couldn't have been better. The fish was light, the sauce was fabulous and the salad and dessert were just right. I would highly recommend the Mirror Lake Inn to anyone looking for a great get away. If you want to feel pampered, treated as kindly as staff can be and go away feeling you spent your money wisely, don't hesitate to go to the Mirror Lake Inn.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank mdida
Loudonville, NY
Reviewed January 29, 2007

What a wonderful place to stay. I have stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn for the past 5 years. Our annual Christmas Party is held there the weekend before Christmas. We usually stay Friday Night & Saturday night and the hotel is always at full capacity. I have never found a problem with anything.

The atmosphere is incredible. There is a tree decorated in every one of the general area rooms. Along with multitudes of other decorations all over. I have always booked my spa treatments approximately 1 month in advance and I have never had a problem with getting in.

Don't even get me started on the food. This is always an experience. I try something new and exciting every year. We book our rooms with the meal plan included, so it makes it nice at dinner time. We pick one appetizer (per person), one entree & one dessert. I have had duck, prime rib, salmon, filet & venison on my stays there. Every single entree has been cooked to pure perfection. The desserts are always unique and incredible. This past year I had white chocolate ice cream & my husband had the eggnog ice cream. What a treat. I remember last year having rosemary ice cream and my husband having balsamic vinegar ice cream (I know that doesn't sound very appetizing, but it is something I would tell everyone to try - it was fantastic.)

The rooms are amazing. I am posting a picture of the view from my room this past year. I have never had a bad view and I have been in different buildings. We love the decor of the "spacious" bathrooms so much - we are having our bathroom remodeled this month to match the beautiful green marble tile and dark wood.

I know the pricing is higher than a lot of places, but I believe that you definitely get what you pay for and this is worth it.

Regarding the cookies... These cookies have always been a special treat that I look forward to each year. They are incredible and I love that they always have some under the counter at the main desk - every time I pass by, I always stop by to grab a sample (or 2 or 3) and the receptionists are always very giving. I have tried to make them at home (with the recipe provided in the goodie bag upon departure), they just aren't the same.
I look forward to going back again. One of these years, I would like to visit in the summertime and experience that, although this past December was like summertime - no snow and warm temperatures.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Lake Placid.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank CMC's_Mom
Saratoga Springs NY
Reviewed January 19, 2007

The Mirror Lake Inn is a sumptuous retreat, nestled in the heart of the expansive Adirondack Park and on the shores of Mirror Lake in Lake Placid Village. The village itself has retained much of its retro charm, and the Inn reminds one of the true historic "lodge" experience. The decor is upscale Adirondack lodge, and the amenities are top-of-the-line. We have enjoyed the Inn during the (less expensive, less crowded) shoulder season between "peak fall foliage" time and winter, and find the Bed and Breakfast package a particularly good deal. Not to be missed here: splurging on a spa treatment; enjoying the indoor pool and sauna (which feel more like the outdoors, with its log cabin theme!); paddling the calm waters of Mirror Lake using an Inn canoe; the warm, homemade chocolate chip cookies served at daily teatime in the main building library (complete with stuffed moose head above the fieldstone fireplace!); romantic fireside dinner in the Inn's restaurant. This is a pricey getaway, but with the right mid-week package deal, well worth it!

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank tchhabra
Wayne, NJ
Reviewed January 9, 2007

My wife and I were looking to take a trip to Lake Placid late September / early October to catch the fall foliage and have a nice, romantic getaway. I found the Mirror Lake Inn through some web searches, and based on the reviews here decided to stay at the Inn.

I wanted to splurge on this, so we got one of the Whiteface suites (I believe it was room 744, with a whirlpool bath). It was a beautiful room, very nicely furnished and amazingly large. The room had the main sleeping area, plus a lounge / sitting area with a balcony that overlooked the lake and had a great view. The bathroom was gigantic, and I loved the whirlpool bath tub. the whirlpool itself didn't seem to be working properly, but I was OK with that. I just loved the fact that my 6' 3" frame could actually lie down with my legs straight out, unbent, and I could really relax in that tub! While the room was expensive, I don't at all feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

The bed is a feather mattress, and I have to say that I found it surprisingly hard / firm. But that's most likely because my bed at home as a 3" foam topper on the mattress and I've gotten very used to that. If it weren't for that, I'd probably have found the bed very comfortable compared to a regular mattress.

During our stay, we both used the spa. I got an 80 minute massage that was spectacular, along with their Extreme Climate men's facial and a men's manicure. What an awesome day of pampering! It really was worth every penny.

We had dinner at The View during our final night there, and the food was extremely good. We also ate in Taste bistro and the Cottage Cafe. These two places were OK, but I have to agree with other reviewers that the pricing is steep given the offerings, at least in the Cottage Cafe. Taste's menu was slightly more upscale, and the cheese platter I had our first night there was stellar, so I'm a little more forgiving with their pricing than with the Cottage Cafe's.

The staff were all very friendly and very helpful. They gave very good suggestions on things to do and see in the area, including pointing out the Oktoberfest we happened to be in time for at nearby Whiteface Mountain.

My wife and I agree that we'll be making The Mirror Lake Inn our regular fall destination for the forseeable future!

• Liked — Nice and quiet, beautiful decor, and great scenery
  • Disliked — Nothing significant
  • Tips/Secrets — If you go for fall foliage like we did, the peak time is right at the end of September
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple