“great staff & laid-back appeal”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed July 31, 2006

In August 2005, my family of five made a spilt second decision to travel to Lake Placid/Mirror Lake. Mirror Lake Inn gave us their last available guest room, so our expectations weren't very high (even though we were happy to have anything!). When we arrived, we were pleasantly suprised with the niceness of the staff, the beautiful hotel, and the cozy and laid-back feel of the hotel as soon as you walked in the door. You didn't feel at all rushed and the hotel, in my opinion, was not snotty or stuffy as said in another review. We were also very pleased when we walked into our room on the first floor of the mountain view building. The room was very nice! We weren't too happy when we heard the room was located on the first floor, but floor one is elevated so the view wasn't half bad. The location of the hotel is just great-we loved being able to walk right into town. The lakefront beach, swimming area, and available boats was a great added feature. If it rains, don't hesitate to go to the indoor pool-it was exceptionally nice. This summer (July-August 2006) we returned to this hotel-right now i am writing you from the room. Our expierence here again was just as nice as our first and we will certainly being coming back again!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank eas09ixo

Reviewed July 31, 2006

This place is really a class act. It has the view of near heaven itself. The service and staff are tops. The rooms are very nice from what we saw. Our room was pleasant. The food is very good. The location on Mirror Lake is one of the best in Lake Placid. The prices? Lets just say to bring a lot of money. It is expensive with a capital "E" for this type of vacation. I am not saying it is not worth it. It's very much worth it. Just be prepared to dig deep.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank bothofusluv2travel
Reviewed June 22, 2006

We spent 4 nights at the MIrror Lake Inn in June. We stayed in the Lake Cottage. The rooms were lovely, but I have to say a bit over priced. We were surprised by the fact that the Cottage is right on the street. We mistakenly got the impression from the web site and brochures that the Inn is secluded, and it is not, so the street noise was kind of annoying, especially since we went for quiet! I have to agree with other reviews on this site that the food at the Inn was not great, I would rate it mediocre, and we expected more than that. The staff was always friendly and accomodating, although the assistance we got from the activities desk was not great, there was no follow through on assisting us with our plans, we had to call and bug for information that they assured us they would contact us with. We absolutely loved Lake Placid, but am not too sure that we would return to the Mirror Lake Inn for the price that it was.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Royal Oak Traveler
Management response:Responded July 6, 2006

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to speak with me. It was a pleasure speaking with you and we really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I was pleased to hear that you felt our staff was friendly and accommodating and want you to know we have followed up on your concerns and look forward to the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Carl Gronlund
Director of Operations
Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa

A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I was an intern for one of the sports teams in LP and that is when I fell in love with the Mirror Lake Inn. We went to the Inn before and after many of our events and all of the prominent athletes that we worked with stayed there. Yes, the Inn has an air about it, but sometimes that is what you want when you are on vacation- otherwise stay at the motel 6- but the staff was always respectful and professional.

I was so thrilled when I graduated and began working and can now afford to stay there when we visit LP. It is centrally located; quintessentially Adirondack. It has amazing views, especially in the winter over the lake, and the Cottage is always fun and cozy.

BTW- the restaurant has THE best Oatmeal on the planet for breakfast

My only complaints are with their reservations and the size of the rooms in the Colonial building. I called after hours and even though I wanted two rooms, but for only one night, I was told that they have a two night minimum stay policy. I called later during the day and had no problem getting one night. Two night policies, especially on a non holiday weekend and for a repeat customer, are very customer un-friendly. And the rooms in the Colonial building are TINY.

We are heading up and staing there again in June. This time taking my in-laws. I am so excited!

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded May 31, 2006

Thank you for being our guest. We appreciate your feedback and your kind words about the staff and the Mirror Lake Inn.

We understand your concern regarding our two night minimum stay guideline. The vast majority of our guests prefer to stay for at least two nights. If we always accept one night stays we will have disappointed many guests who will only visit if they can stay for two nights. We always try to be accommodating to our guest requests and I’m glad we could accommodate your for a one night stay in June.

We appreciate your comments about the Colonial House and we agree. We are in the process of finalizing the plans for a major upgrade to the Colonial House. Not only are we increasing the size of all the rooms but the overall quality of the rooms will be unsurpassed in the area. When you are here in June please ask for me and I would be happy show you a copy of the plans.

Again, thank you for being our guest and we look forward to hosting you and your family in June.

Carl Gronlund
Director of Operations

Reviewed May 2, 2006

My wife and I went to the Mirror Lake Inn the last weekend of April for a romantic weekend getaway (we were celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary). We needed a place where we could unplug, unwind and take it easy. The Inn fit the bill quite nicely. We stayed in one of the split-level Saranac Suites (located in the property's main building). While the rooms were not huge they were fine for two people. They were furnished and decorated very well and had two decent-sized bathrooms with showers and a whirlpool tub right in front of the bed on the upper level. Cable TVs were both upstairs and downstairs with DVD players and VCRs also hooked up for use.

We ate the Inn's main restaurant The View. The food at every meal was extraordinary. The breakfast buffet at $15 offered a large selection of cereals, fruits, and hot items (eggs, flapjacks, sausages, etc.). The dinner menus offered a dazzling choice of options and not one of the appetizers or entrees disappointed. Everything we ordered was artfully prepared and deliciously satisfying. The wine list was quite a tome but offered plenty of lower priced alternatives. The wait staff was always helpful, attentive and pleasant. We had lunch one day at the lakeside restaurant The Cottage and the food there was also well prepared and served. The outdoors deck was a wonderfully relaxing place to nibble and take in the scenery.

There were all sorts of nooks and crannies in the main building where people could relax in front of a huge fireplace, curl up with a book or play a game. There is also a very nice pool, sauna and a very large hot tub in the lower level. We did not use any of the spa services but there seemed to be quite an array of services offered. The downtown of Lake Placid is just a short walk down the road and offered us an afternoon of shop-browsing and touring through the arenas built for the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Mirror Lake itself was one of the cleanest bodies of water I've ever seen and was framed beautifully by the nearby mountains.

All in all we had a great stay at this inn and plan on returning someday with the entire family.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank SiberianKhatru
Reviewed March 27, 2006

This trip was a Valentine's Day present to my husband. We stayed here a few years back and loved it. When we checked in, coffee and home made cookies were being served in their quaint lobby (best cookies ever). I chose the romance package which included an upgraded room (highly recommend), dinner and breakfast. Our room overlooked Mirror Lake, with views of the high peaks (romantic). Our meals were outstanding and the dining area was beautiful. There is a wonderful pool with its own waterfall for a late night swim or you can take a jacuzzi. Also, be sure to check out the spa, one of the best I've ever been to!!!

Cynthia Giruzzi-Cahill
Delmar, NY

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank itgirl7
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We just spent 5 days at Mirror Lake Inn on the busy President's Day Weekend. As a bit of background, my wife is a figure skater and we are all enthusiasts. We were drving up from Philadelphia on Thursday evening, (it takes about 7 hours), and would be missing the Mens Olympic Final. We had previously arranged for a VCR in the room (available by request), and I asked if they could possibly set it to tape the program. In response, they (1) had someone go out and buy a blank tape, (2) set up the VCR, recorded the program and left a detailed note explaining how it had been set up, and (3) the front desk employee who had arranged all this recorded the event at home for us in case something got messed up. Amazing!

Not incidentally, the hotel has big, comfortable rooms, good food, a pretty lap pool, a full-service spa and salon, and free afternoon tea with excellent fresh-baked cookies. The location is great too- walking distance to anywhere in town. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

10  Thank Frank T