“Heaven On Earth!”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed March 27, 2006

This trip was a Valentine's Day present to my husband. We stayed here a few years back and loved it. When we checked in, coffee and home made cookies were being served in their quaint lobby (best cookies ever). I chose the romance package which included an upgraded room (highly recommend), dinner and breakfast. Our room overlooked Mirror Lake, with views of the high peaks (romantic). Our meals were outstanding and the dining area was beautiful. There is a wonderful pool with its own waterfall for a late night swim or you can take a jacuzzi. Also, be sure to check out the spa, one of the best I've ever been to!!!

Cynthia Giruzzi-Cahill
Delmar, NY

6  Thank itgirl7
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed February 26, 2006

We just spent 5 days at Mirror Lake Inn on the busy President's Day Weekend. As a bit of background, my wife is a figure skater and we are all enthusiasts. We were drving up from Philadelphia on Thursday evening, (it takes about 7 hours), and would be missing the Mens Olympic Final. We had previously arranged for a VCR in the room (available by request), and I asked if they could possibly set it to tape the program. In response, they (1) had someone go out and buy a blank tape, (2) set up the VCR, recorded the program and left a detailed note explaining how it had been set up, and (3) the front desk employee who had arranged all this recorded the event at home for us in case something got messed up. Amazing!

Not incidentally, the hotel has big, comfortable rooms, good food, a pretty lap pool, a full-service spa and salon, and free afternoon tea with excellent fresh-baked cookies. The location is great too- walking distance to anywhere in town. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

10  Thank Frank T
Reviewed February 25, 2006

We returned to the Mirror Lake Inn with our children (ages 9 and 10)for another relaxing family getaway and were not disappointed.

We like the size of the rooms. They are much larger than we expected, furnished nicely, and with a great view to enjoy. Towels, pillows, toiletries are all abundant and replaced daily. The room was is clean as could be. The maid service staff works very hard to keep it that way.

We think the MLI is set apart by the friendliness of the staff and the generous common areas. It was truly relaxing for our family that our children could be playing a board game while we enjoyed reading by the fire, or that we could all play a game together and not worry about being out of place.

We encountered many staff members in a variety of capacities and found each person pleasant, quick to offer a friendly greeting, and helpful. Even the maid staff, with enough work to do and then some, offered to help my husband carry bags.

We had a small complaint regarding our "neighbors". They slammed doors rather than shut them, ran while yelling in the hallways, and the under-ten-year-old set took to calling each other names like "butt face" and worse with abandon. They argued freely and often while the adults present took no action.

We made this known to the front desk, explaining that while this behavior is surely no fault of the inn that we thought they would want to know, particularly if this party was to return. The front desk apologized and asked to let us know if matter persisted. Minutes later a generous tray of cookies, milk, Candy Man chocolates and a bottle of red wine were delivered to our room.

We arranged for manicures for me and my ten-year-old daughter. Alicia and Tiffiny took good care of us. Frankly, I usually expect a hotel manicure to be mediocre and overpriced. While more than I pay at home, the service was excellent.

I have read with interest the other reviews posted here. I agree with those who are as pleased as I, and am confused by other comments. Yes, the beach is small (the lake is small). True the closet doors open toward the bathroom door. That just doesn't bother me. As for cell phones, yes please ban them. Heck, let's also ask for a "no volume" policy on Gameboys. I heard more than my share of Mario games in the living room, and at a good distance to boot.

Beyond the inn, the village of Lake Placid is just great for travelers of all stripes. Shopping, dining, outdoor activities abound. If you plan to go to the Brown Dog Cafe, however, please see my review "Bad Dog Cafe". It might be of interest.

We will return to MLI next year for the pool, the toboggan run, Bluesberry bakery, and fireworks viewed from the inn's library. Most of all we will return knowing that we can enjoy a luxury stay in a wonderful town, as a family.

5  Thank atateka