“fourth of July stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“fourth of July stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a wonderful three night stay at Mirror Lake over July 4th. It's a perfect place to watch the fireworks over Mirror Lake as we had the perfect perch right from our private balcony.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the area.
Our only complaint about the Inn is that the furnishings are a little dated, but I suppose that it adds to the rustic charm. Our room was on the small size (we had a Marcy classic room), but very, very clean. The bed was very comfortable. But, the best was the beautiful view from the balcony and seen from anywhere one sat in our room.
We ate at "the view", the 'bistro' and the 'cottage'. All had wonderful service and food.
The Lake Placid area is a wonderful place to relax and there is plenty to do. We enjoyed visiting some of the Olympic sites. The Bobsled run experience is great and the gondola to top of Whiteface is well worth it.
We were looking for a fun relaxing place with great lodging to go over the fourth within a day
driving from DC.We found it! Hopefully, the furnishings will have some updates, but all in all we had a wonderful stay and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for being our guest! We’re happy that you felt your room was very, very clean and that you enjoyed the views from your balcony, the food and service. We look forward to your return! We are currently in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms, which will leave them 20% larger than comparable rooms and will have separate sitting areas with floor to ceiling glass. We are confident that you will enjoy the new layout!
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Polish first
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I am from The Bronx, NY, though I traveled while in the Military, it is not the same as a civilian. I was visiting my girlfriend in Fulton County, when we decided to take a drive to Lake Placid. Though she has been here several times, I have never been here. I did not know what to expect, but when We made a turn on some street, this Hotel caught my eye. I don't know if it was name or the appearance of the hotel that I was attracted to.

As we entered the lobby, there was a living room and library off to the left. There was no problem in getting a room for the night and the check in process was painless. I was even given a Free Breakfast in The Bistro located off to the right of the check in desk. The room was grand and very comfortable.

We took a walk around the lake then showered and enjoyed the outdoor pool. We then went to dinner at The Cottage, located close to the Hotel. I will save my comments for another review on this Restaurant.

On our way back, we went downstairs where the Spa is located and made an appointment for a Couples Massage the following afternoon. Now, I have no experience in this but from what I only saw in movies and I didn't know what to expect. The next day, I
We were greeted by the Spa staff and were taken to separate changing areas where there were bathrooms, showers, Hot Tub, Steam room and whatever toiletries you needed. Then I went to a Parlor room where I was met by the Masseuse and taken to a room with two massage tables. My girlfriend walked in and they started the massages. It was one of the Best experiences of my life. After we were told that we can use the facilities until 8:00 PM, but since we had another engagement to go to we decided to leave.

Ok now take it from a Bronx Kid who traveled the world on Uncle Sam's dime, this place was an experience that I am looking forward to doing again. Next time it will be for a Longer stay. No I would like to to give a Special Thanks to the Following People, so please forgive me if I get the names wrong, Meagan (Front Desk), Kelley (Spa), Dulcie (Masseuse), Chad (Masseuse), Jeanne and Seth (Breakfast Staff) Thank You All for a Very Pleasant and Comfortable Stay. I will be Back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ivan C
Thank you for being our guest! We are happy that your first visit to the Mirror Lake Inn will not be your last! We’re also glad that you enjoyed the spa and the couples massage. We look forward to your return!
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I have been to Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa several times and it seems to get better each time. Maybe it’s because they listen and take to heart the comments from their guests, or it’s just because they are “wired that way”, or they are forward-thinkers. Maybe it’s a combination of all of the above.

This time we had spa appointments; my wife a manicure and pedicure, then a massage; as for me, a deep tissue massage to work out some of the kinks after an 8-hour drive. My wife and I gave them a collective four thumbs up!

We also ate in all three of their restaurants. We enjoyed lunch at The Cottage on Mirror Lake directly across from the main building’s driveway. We found the menu to be shorter, featuring some new items while keeping some of the favorites. That evening we had dinner at the Taste Bistro in the main building. The food there did not disappoint. The next night we met some friends and invited them to join us for dinner in the View Dining Room, also located in the main building. The Oysters Rockefeller were probably the best we have tasted anywhere during our travels. We and our friends also tried the sea scallops, chicken, and the duck… and the consensus was that all were amazing. We found some interesting points on the menu: Mirror Lake Inn uses local and organic products whenever possible and raised antibiotic and hormone free… nice to know what I’m not putting in my body!

Surprise! The dining room manager announced to us that the Inn is choosing a couple or family to receive a free dinner each month in celebration of the Inn’s 30th year of receiving the AAA Four-Diamond Award… we were the lucky recipients this month!

We have seen many remodels and upgrades over the years, including the complete demolition of their Lake Cottage and the Colonial House, both replaced with new buildings with very high-end suites one would see in decorating magazines. The last couple of years were no exception with many of the hallways stripped of the old wallpaper and replaced with a beautiful finish accented by paintings and Adirondack memorabilia. They also started the conversion of many rooms with a balcony, to rooms with a four-season sitting area. Apparently they intend to continue with this latest renovation during the off seasons until every room in the Terrace building and the Mountain View building are completed. We can understand why, having just stayed in one of these converted rooms in the Mountain building. It just seemed so much larger, yet still with a cozy feel as we sat having coffee in the four-season porch with the doors wide open, yet screened in for a comfortable panoramic view.

We are looking forward to many more visits to Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa where we know we will find great views, a warm ambiance, delicious food and wonderful staff. We also love the fact that cell phone use is not permitted in the public areas of the Inn… it just adds to the relaxing atmosphere where we can put our feet up and simply leave the office behind.

Room Tip: Be careful if you book your stay through a "discount" travel website, because some may sho...
4 Thank Amluckytoo
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for being such a loyal guest! Our staff appreciates your kind comments and we’re glad that your visits keep getting better and better! We’re happy that you enjoyed the spa, dining, ambiance and service. We look forward to your many more returns!
Port Hope, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked a two night stay at the Mirror Lake Inn in Mid-June for my wife's birthday treat. This wasn't our first stay at the inn - more like our tenth; but it continues to be a favourite destination for us. This time we stayed in a Cloudsplitter Room overlooking the outdoor pool but with dramatic views of the High Peaks in the distance. These latter we viewed form the balcony while having a relaxing drink, or two. On our first day there, my wife's birthday, there was a knock on the door and two young men presented us with a refreshing bottle of mineral water and some delicious chocolates -- a thoughtful birthday wish. Breakfasts in the View, included in our cost, were excellent - lots of choice and very personable and attentive staff. Overall an outstanding Inn and well worth the cost and the visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 335 - a Cloudsplitter -- fantastic views over Mirror Lake and the High Peaks -- re...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for being our guest! We’re glad that you enjoyed your 2 night retreat and Happy Birthday to your wife again! We look forward to your return!
Clinton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Ahhhh , The Mirror Lake Inn, a wonderfully luxurious Adirondack experience. We stayed in the Inn on one of the busiest summer weekends in Lake Placid. The village was bursting at the seams with runners, bikers and athletes alike. After checking in we were able to walk everywhere; enjoying the scenery and atmosphere of the village. The complimentary kayaking on Mirror Lake was a highlight of our trip.
After a very busy day in the bustling village, we returned to the serenity of our room at the Inn. We enjoyed the many luxurious amenities, as well as the ambiance and comfort of the room. The décor and the view of Mirror Lake and the mountains made it thoroughly enjoyable. It was so quiet throughout the property. It was hard to believe we were so close but yet so far removed from the business and noise of the village. We feel asleep in the quiet comfort of our room to the sound of flowing water outside the window. From check-in to check out our stay was peaceful, luxurious and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Molly C
Thank you for being our guest! We’re happy that you had a wonderful experience and enjoyed your room, amenities and ambiance! We look forward to your return!
Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I are fellow Geminis with June birthdays, so my parents decided to give us a joint birthday gift - a weekend away in Lake Placid. After some research, we decided on the Mirror Lake Inn.

We arrived on Friday at 12:30 and expected that our room would not be ready and were prepared to leave our bags and go exploring, but they had our room and we checked in quickly and headed up to our amazing room. We were in room 835 (on the 4th floor in the Mountain View Building) and immediately upon opening the door, we were blown away by our perfect view of Mirror Lake and the mountains in the background.

The room was spotlessly clean and had a giant poster bed, huge armoir holding a flat screen TV, a comfy chair, a large bed side table, a couch with a large coffee table and a desk. It had a vaulted ceiling with a modest chandelier. The large bathroom was dark wood with dark blue tile with plenty of space for both of us - the amenities even included a small tub of lip balm - a nice touch with the dry mountain climate. There was also a nice large closet.

We had read that they charged for wi-fi (thank you fellow Trip Adviors!) so we didn't bring our laptops - which was fine with us - it only added to the serenity of this short weekend get-away. Though if I had needed my laptop for work reasons, I wouldn't have been happy to have had to pay. It's quite strange to encounter this type of charge in 2014.

We dropped our stuff and went off to explore. We had a late, lazy and romantic lakeside lunch at The Cottage (one of the restaurants on the property which is reviewed separately) and then found that Main Street was only a few short blocks down the road on Mirror Lake. It was lined with cute and quaint restaurants, bars, shops and the like - many of which had gorgeous views of the lake and mountains. There was so much there - it was great!

There is a small private beach with 20 or 30 lounge chairs, a dock that you can walk out on with adirondack chairs and two floating docks that you can swim to and lounge on or dive off of. There were also canoes, row boats and paddle boats that were available at no charge for guests to use. On both days we were there, the attendant was very friendly and helpful.

In the early evening as we were thinking about where to have dinner, we were surprised with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries accompanied by a handwritten note from the front desk clerk wishing us both a happy birthday. (I had forgotten that this was part of our package and was thrilled to see it done so beautifully - it was quite special).

We decided not to get any spa treatments that weekend because the weather was SPECTACULAR and we wanted to spend all of our time outside touring the area and lounging on our deck. However, we did take advantage of the indoor pool, hot tub and sauna and the fitness center. The area with the pool and hot tub are so cool - a really rustic and "outdoorsy" feel. The fitness center is small but has everything you need, along with an amazing view of Mirror Lake.

We had a $150 resort credit with our package, and since we didn't use it in the spa, we treated ourselves to lunch at The Cottage, dinner at Taste and Sunday brunch at The View - each was excellent and all had tremendous views.

The staff was terrific. Everyone was so friendly and helpful - from the front desk to housekeeping to the grounds keepers - everyone always had a friendly smile and "hello!" The woman at the front desk even helped me decide on a board game to borrow one evening.

There is so much to see within close driving distance - the Olympic Ski Jump is SO COOL, High Falls Gorge is awesome, Lake Saranac is very pretty (though Mirror Lake is my favorite), and the gondola ride at Whiteface Mountain is a must-do. I'd also highly recommend the 25 mile drive to Ausable Chasm - one of the most beautiful places ever.

All in all, it was the perfect weekend and the hotel was so lovely and beautiful, we are already planning our next trip back.

Room Tip: Room 835 on the 4th floor of the Mountain View Building had an AMAZING view and was nice and quiet a...
4 Thank Julia H
Thank you for being our guest and Happy Birthday again! We’re glad that you enjoyed your weekend, the room, lunch at The Cottage, dinner in Taste Bistro, breakfast in The View and all of our amenities. We are excited you are already planning your next trip back and we look forward to your return!
lwanderingsiren
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 nights here with my significant other. It was between this hotel and another high end spa resort. I chose Mirror Lake because it was a close to town and I wouldn't have to worry about a car since my honey needed it to drive to mountain biking.
Anyway, we arrived a couple of hours ahead of the official check in time but were accommodated within an hour. Staff at reception was friendly and efficient. Our room was in the terrace building on the 3rd floor. This building did not appear to be as updated as the main building. Didn't care for the fluorescent lighting in the hallways.

From our room, view of the lake was stunning. Overall room was decent, a bit dark but clean. Bed was comfortable. The tv channels were blurry but we ended up watching the World Cup games in town anyway so it wasn't a huge concern.

I had a lovely spa treatment by Chad. The spa was small but very beautiful. Really enjoyed the eucalyptus steam room and lounge area. The hotel grounds were beautiful as well, extremely clean and abundant with flowers. Indoor pool was ok, but I'm not a big pool person anyway. The sauna in the indoor pool area was great, as well as the changing facilities. The beach area was small but nicely stocked with lounge chairs and boats to take out. Staff throughout the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The clientele was in line with my expectations as well, no rowdy children running around or loud party college types.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the inn and in the area. Could have used one more day and spa visit! We aren't into winter sports but hope to return again in the summer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderingsiren
Thank you for being our guest! We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay, the spa and the area. We have just replaced the lighting on the first two of the floors of the Terrace Building and will continue the process throughout the building as we finish our renovations of guest rooms there. The rooms will be 20% larger than comparable rooms and will feature separate sitting areas with floor to ceiling glass. We are confident that you will enjoy the new layout and look forward to your return next summer!