“It's Beautiful but..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Carmel, New York
“It's Beautiful but..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

A stay at this luxurous resort will be memorable. We have stayed at MLR a total of 4 times over the years most recently in Feb. We have stayed in standard rooms to luxury suites, and this time we chose a standard room that had been recently renovated. First of all we were not told that being next to the walkway to the elevator would be so noisy. We were told our room was ready and how convenient it was to reach the dining room. As a 4
time guest we should have been given the option of waiting till a better room was ready. Dining at The View is special. The wait staff make everyone feel important. Breakfast this week was a buffet at $20. Per person plus tax and tip, a lot to pay if you only wanted toast or cereal. The pool and spa are beautiful and well maintained. As I mentioned, charging a fee for WIFI is unheard of as most hotels provide this free,ie, Marriott, Hampton inn. After all these years MLI of being rated #1 by aConde Nast, they need to review their policies, especially for returning loyal guests.

we should have been given the option of waiting until a better location was ready. Eating dinner at The View is special and the wait staff make everone feel special. A buffet breakfast was served every day because it was a holiday week.very costly at $20. Per person plus tax and tip, if one only wanted toast and an egg or even oatmeal The pool and spa are beautful and well maintained. After all these years of MLI being rated #1 by Conde Nast, I believe there is room for a review of their policies, especially for a returning guest .
time guest we should have been given the option of waiting until a better room was ready

time guest, I think they could have given us a better location or at least given
us the choice to wait a little longer till a better room was ready..(we arrived
early)
For what the cost is for even a standard room, and this was more being a
holiday week, to charge for WIFI is disgraceful. Marriott, Hampton Inn and
most other hotels and motels provide this service free. The dining in The
View is fabulous., wait staff have a way of making you feel special. However, We did
not like eating a buffet breakfast every day at $20.00 plus tax and tip each for a fried egg or french toast or even if one only wanted oatmeal or toast. The pool and spa are beautiful and well maintained. So I think there's room for improvement at ▪MLI even after being considered #1 by Conde Nast all these years.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if you are near an elevator or walkway where children can make a lot of noise as ch...
1 Thank Christine513
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for being our guest. We’re glad that you have been back four times and feel it is a luxurious and memorable experience! I am sorry that location of the new lookout room did not meet your expectations. We’ve had many positive comments on it and most guests appreciate the convenience of the location. Although it was a holiday week and we were pretty full, I hope you let the front desk know so that if there was another option for a different room, they could have offered it to you. We have many different room types for many different budgets and needs. In the future, if you prefer to not eat the buffet breakfast and would like to just order a muffin or a quick continental item please let your server know and we will do our best accommodate you.

Although we do charge for our wireless we do not charge a resort fee like many other resorts to cover costs such as Wi-Fi. These fees can range from $20-$50 per day. USA Today published an article stating that many well-known hotel brands are charging for Wi-Fi and the New York Times has published an article that indicates that a common area where security breaches occur is an unsecured public wireless network, such as in coffee shops and parks. There is a substantial cost to installing, having 24 hour support, maintaining/upgrading with ever changing technology, bandwidth hungry devices (several per room) and providing a closed network covering over 7 acres. Additionally, along with not charging a resort fee we do not charge for the use of our indoor and outdoor heated pools, whirlpool, sauna, private beach, kayaks, canoes, rowboats, paddle boats, tennis, snow shoes, exercise room, afternoon tea, coffee and our homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Again, thank you for being our guest! We look forward to your return!

Carl Gronlund
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Polish first
Saint James, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

we try to get here at least once a year for relaxing and just de-stressing. The pool and spa were wonderful as always. The terrace room was nice but I do prefer the mountainview location. We were told those rooms were just renovated and were not available for the rate we paid. We love the tea and cookies and enjoyed our dinner and breakfasts in the View. Staff was very friendly as always. On an aside note, the owner's son was in the Olympics this year and took home a bronze medal. Congrats to the whole family. A visit here will not disappoint you.

Room Tip: The higher level mountain view rooms have the best view but are more expensive. The terrace rooms h...
1 Thank Meg S
Irondequoit, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My girlfriend surprised me for Valentine's Day with a reservation to stay at the Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa in Lake Placid, NY for an extended weekend! I am an avid camper and love the Adirondack's, so she wanted to do something nice that she thought I would appreciate. Coincidentally, the Winter Olympics are currently underway, so she thought a trip to Lake Placid would be cool to get into the Olympics spirit as well. Neither one of us have ever stayed at a first-class Resort, so we had no idea what a treat we were in for.

To begin with, after entering the main building and walking up the staircase to approach the reception area, I was immediately impressed with the elegance, such as the huge crystal chandelier hanging in the main lobby's cathedral ceiling, and the baby-grand piano and the grand-father clock both sitting at the top of the main entrance staircase; yet I was also impressed with the homey, lodge-like ambiance - complete with a wood-burning fire place and taxidermied wildlife heads (including HUGE moose and buffalo heads) hanging on the walls of the "family room" area. I knew immediately this place fantastically merged both elegance and ADK's rustic-ness!

After quite a lengthy drive to get there, we were very warmly greeted by the reception staff, and before we even moved into the check-in process, we were offered a cup of coffee and some chocolate chip cookies! Perfect introduction! After checking-in, we pulled our car around, and again were warmly greeted by another staff member at the door of the building that our suite was located (the Mountain View Building... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!) offering to help us carry our luggage in. It was late in the evening when we arrived, and so it was dark outside already. Upon entering our room, the gentleman stated "you have an excellent room... you have no idea what you're in for tomorrow morning when you wake up!" He was right! The next morning when we woke and looked out our balcony window, we were floored!... the view over-looking Mirror Lake and the mountains beyond were ABSOLUTELY BREATH-TAKING!!! Our room was nothing short of that as well! We booked one of the Marcy Rooms, and we were fortunate to have a 4th floor (top floor) room - complete with green marble flooring in the foyer and bathroom to compliment the mahogany paneled walls with chair-rail and crown-molding detailing, a 4-posted King-sized bed, a mahogany armoire for the entertainment center, and cathedral ceiling with a perfectly dimmed chandelier. However, I think the best touch upon entering our suite for the first time was the contemporary classical music already playing as we entered... what a way to set the mood!

Since it was late, we decided to head down to Taste Bistro for a bite to eat. To our surprise and pleasure, we were warmly welcomed by the sounds of Acoustic Guitarist Ryan Grant. While he is not an employee of Mirror Lake Inn, his music is a testament to the excellent taste of the entertainment director of the hotel! I should add, the meals we both ordered we reasonably-priced, and the vegetable and potato pot-roast dish not only hit the spot after a long drive, but was absolutely delicious!

The next day we decided to brave (for both of our's first time) skiing the infamous Whiteface Mountain - training ground for many past and current Winter Olympic athletes... including the Mirror Lake Inn's owners' son, Andrew Weibrect (Bronze medal winner in Vancouver 2010). The hotel is less than a 15-minute drive to the mountain, and the hotel staff even gave us a "back road" way to get there to avoid the congestion of the village. Of course, we had to fill-up before going, so we indulged in an awesome breakfast at the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet in The View restaurant. After a beautiful, but very cold, day of skiing, we returned to "warm our bones" in the hotel's awesome hot-tub. Surprisingly, apparently while we were skiing Whiteface, Andrew was winning another Silver medal in the Super-G in Sochi! Congratulations Andrew! Go Team USA! That just added even more to the "Winter Olympics Weekend Getaway" that my girlfriend and I were looking for.

After some hard skiing the previous day, the following day was a Spa day - where my girlfriend and I both treated ourselves to full-body massages with heated river stones, a pedicure for her, and enjoyed some time in the eucalyptus-infused sauna and hot-tub. That hit the spot!!! Following that, an elegant dinner at The View - she had the Scottish Salmon filet and I the New Zealand Lamb Loin. Now I've worked at some restaurants in my day, and I know that in fine dining, plate-presentation is just as important as the ingredients used and the dish concepts... and I have to say the Chef at The View is nothing short of Executive! If you're looking for a cheap, quick meal, go to Applebee's. If you're looking for fine dining, The View is it! Elegant, candle-lit, romantic, and the waiters and waitresses are all fantastic as well.

Upon check-out, we decided to stick around Lake Placid for a little while longer. We went out on to the frozen Mirror Lake and experienced an Alaskan Husky dog-sled ride across the lake (another first for both of us). We had been watching them all weekend from our balcony window, and so we had to try it. We then popped-in to The Cottage for a bowl of Cottage Chili (which was also EXCELLENT) to warm-up. Then, just a few minutes' drive down the road to check-out the Olympic Parks, and we enjoyed a quick ride (and by quick, I mean FAST!) down the Olympic Bobsled track.

I would have to say the worst part about our trip is that we had to leave!!! I'm not going to lie, this was an expensive vacation for us (staying at a Resort and pampering yourself can be)... but it was WELL-WORTH IT!!! If you're just looking for a place to crash for a few nights, go to a motel. However, if you're looking for that true Adirondack Resort feeling with BREATH-TAKING VIEWS, ELEGANCE, and ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC TREATMENT... then both my girlfriend and myself would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Mirror Lake Inn!!! Any season, I think this place would be GORGEOUS!!! We both look forward staying there again!

Room Tip: The Mountain View Building has exceptional views!
1 Thank Scott M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We liked the Mirror Lake Inn's common area's - especially the library and the spa and pools, but the rooms were just so so. The view was nice, but it could have easily been a room in a more mainstream chain like a Hampton inn or a courtyard Marriott. We also were disappointed that there wasn't more guidance on how to navigate the skiing and skating (there were no rental skates available all weekend and the kids skiing lessons were sold out all weekend). The food was ok and most of the staff was very nice. Lake Placid was lovely and charming with tons to do. So we will be back but will likely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ekkeeler
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for being our guest. We are glad that you enjoyed the common areas, spa, pool and our staff! We were surprised you didn’t enjoy your accommodation. We make it abundantly clear at check in that we want you to have a wonderful time while you are here and that we will do everything fair and reasonable to cause that to happen if you let us know your concerns while you are here. We’re not in the business of selling beds, food or beverages, but in the business of creating memorable experiences. Next time if there is something you are disappointed with please let us know so we can try to fix it while you are here.

Our newly renovated (December 2013) rooms are more than 20% larger than any other rooms available in Lake Placid! Reaction to date is 99% positive. They offer 415 square feet of living space, the exterior wall is almost exclusively glass with French style sliding doors can be opened to the outside, excellent lake and mountain views, blackout drapes perfect for families with children or for additional privacy space, more power outlets and USB connections and recessed reading lights over the beds. In addition, we have many different room types available. In fact, our top level rooms are comparable to or better than those at any Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons, but would be more expensive than the room you selected.

We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to serve you. I’m sure we have the accommodation to suit your needs.

Carl Gronlund
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband, daughter and myself traveled to Mirror Lake Inn in lake Placid for a little R and R. While my husband and daughter were out enjoy the snow I scheduled myself a massage. I work at the Zoo in Syracuse, NY and as an animal collection manager it is a very physical job. I have been experiencing lower back and hip pain and figured a massage was just what i needed. When you enter the spa the staff treats you like gold and the emenities at the spa are wonderful. The massage was just the ticket I needed and the therapist took the time to really help me with my aches anda pains. She made several suggestions and demonstrated exercises that will help me work through the aches and get me on the path to a pain free life. I highly recommend the Inn and definately a trip to the Spa, they ar ethe best!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Saugerties, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Every year my sister and I plan a sisters spa weekend. We usually go to someplace different every year. Mirror Lake Inn had been on our list for several years and they were offering a girls getaway weekend in May so we booked it. The staff was over the top, helpful and courteous. The detail of the main house is just gorgeous. The buffet breakfast in the mornings was phenomenal, freshly prepared, variety, we loved it. We had dinner in the View which was also part of our package and wow. Our meals were delicious. Wait staff were professional and friendly. Also offered is afternoon tea and though we were not hungry or in need of a cookie, we participated because the ambiance was calming, beautiful fireplace was burning, cozy. So my sister and I decided if the package is offered again we are heading back to Mirror Lake Inn because we truly enjoyed our stay. J. Schultz and H. Woodvine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The first time I didn't pick the accomadations and thrilled to report - it's as if I did. A total surprise anniversay gift trip to Lake Placid and the best part was staying at the Mirror Lake Inn. It is everything you should want from an Inn at a winter destination. Every detail, every smell, every view even every tiny outdoor light was perfect. We ate dinner at The View (exceptional), and Taste Bistro & Bar (excellent) both on site resturants. Lunch at the Cottage across the street hit the spot as well! Everyone at the Inn was super helpful and really nice in every way. The host of the View even kept us informed in between courses of the score of the superbowl. After skiing the monster called Whiteface a dip in the really big jacuzzi was a no brainer. The bed was heavenly, I think, it's hard to remember when your day is filled with Lake Placid adventure.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of Mirror Lake