“Nice hotel but a bit tired” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
“Nice hotel but a bit tired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at this property for two nights. The service and staff were very nice and very responsive. The hotel was at one time quite lovely but has grown a bit tired and worn. It was expensive for the current condition. The woodwork in the hotel is beautiful but the carpets in both the main areas and the hallways is dated and worn and the rooms are quite dated. The views and the great "cottage" porch for drinks may make it worth a trip though!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Elizabeth P
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for being our guest! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the views, service and drinks at The Cottage!

We’re not sure which room you had while you were, but none of our rooms are outdated. They are traditional. We never have been and never will be contemporary/modern, i.e. we don’t have a lot of glass, plastic, chrome or bright colors - aqua, pink, etc., just lots of custom woodwork, antiques and a traditional, old world feeling.

Being AAA four diamond rated for 29 consecutive years we remain committed to providing our guests with a memorable quality experience. We are continually improving this experience by remaining focused on providing excellent service and by making consistent improvements and upgrades to the property. Even though our rooms are larger than the standard room we are currently involved in in the process of expanding many of our rooms. We think you will be pleased with the results. We look forward to your next visit so you can see it!

Carl Gronlund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Polish first
Moorestown, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I first stayed here 34 years ago and always come back here for one simple reason. It's the best in Lake Placid. Service, ambiance food and drink, there is no better. Be sure and go down to The Cottage, their incredible lakeside bar/eatery. All the locals hang here at happy hour so you know it has to be the place to be. Also, the have an incredible spa to really put you in the mood.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for being such a loyal guest! We are happy that you feel we are the best in Lake Placid, enjoy your stays, service, ambiance, food and drink! We look forward to your return!
Waterford ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Mirror Lake Inn this past weekend, and had a truly amazing experience. From the moment we arrived and checked in we were made to feel very welcome. The girl at the front desk(Elizabeth), greeted us with a warm friendly smile, and was very gracious, polite and accommodating. My wife and I travel extensively for business, and are usually greeted by a clerk who seems botherEd to check you in. Not here - it was a breath of fresh air! The grounds were beautifully landscaped, and it was obvious that this Inn paid attention to detail. We had a room on the fourth floor of the Moutain View Inn, and has a spectacular view of the lake from our balcony. The room was exquisite, as well as comfortable. We indulged in the spa on the premises, and each of partook of a massage as well as a facial. The estheticians were extremely friendly as well as proficient. We left there rejuvenated and refreshed. It was also a nice added touch that for the remainder of the day the whirlpool as well as the steam room was available. I can't say enough about the cleanliness of the spa as well as the overall friendliness of the staff working there. We also ate at the restaurant, and found the food creative, fresh, and delicious. Once again the staff went out of there way to make us feel extra special, and seemed sincerely genuine. We also had the chance to use there free kayaks as we took a lovely tranquil ride on the scenic lake. The time went by to quickly, and we were sorry to see the weekend end, but this place is a hidden jewel in Lake Placid, that we will definitively be returning to.

Room Tip: I recommend staying on a higher floor like we did(4th floor). The view is amazing!
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We spent three nights last week at the Mirror Lake Inn, and it was lovely! The staff couldn't have been nicer from the restaurants to the bartender to housekeeping. We stayed in the Mountain View building which had a great view of the lake and the mountains beyond. The room and bathroom were very nicely decorated in traditional Adirondack style. The grounds were beautifully kept, and it was very relaxing to sit down by the beach. We loved the availability of the kayaks for a sightseeing cruise around Mirror Lake. We ate at both the Cottage (very good) and the View (excellent) as well as other places in town. Would definitely go back to the Mirror Lake Inn.

Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn last month during the Ironman. There was a slight mishap in our reservation. We reserved a room with a sofa bed and when we checked in were offered a room without one. The front desk worked it out to our satisfaction. Our room was comfortable but on the older side. The air conditioner was very loud and we ended up just turning it off. The shower had low water pressure and ran hot and cold at times. I'm bringing these items up because the Inn is not inexpensive. Service at the Inn is exceptional. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. There are very few places I've stayed where the service has been this good. The setting of the Inn is beautiful and the lake has a nice beach access with kayaks, paddle boats and canoes available for the guests use. We even had smores by campfire one evening. My only suggestion is for the Inn to add paddle boards. Breakfast was served buffet style with a wide selection of offerings and a station for omelets. While we were there we ate at all of the restaurants on the property and found them all very good. Visited the spa and had a wonderful massage and manicure/pedicure. If I were to return I'd like to stay in the cute cottages by the lake that are part of the property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank adlpdx
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for being our guest during Ironman! Congratulations to your husband on his finish! We are glad that you felt the setting was beautiful, your room was comfortable, all restaurants were very good and service was exceptional. I am also glad you enjoyed the Spa and s’mores at the beach! I am sorry there was a slight mix-up with the room reserved for you, but I am glad we were able to quickly fix it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention while you were here so we could promptly fix it! We look forward to your next stay!
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at Mirror Lake Inn close to a 100 times since 1980 and have seen it go through many renovations and improvements over the years.We have also stayed in just about every type of room and suite in all five buildings making up the Mirror Lake Inn.

Most notably are the completely rebuilt Lake Cottage and the Colonial House right on the lake, both offering Adirondack-style suites that could have been taken right out of a decorating magazine. I joked with my wife when staying at a suite in the Colonial House, that one could wash a Mercedes in the shower it was so big... and the therapeutic tub was so quiet, I thought it was broken! The improvements never stop. They are just starting to renovate the rooms in the Mountain Building, replacing each balcony with a 4-seasons room. I got a chance to peek into one and what a beautiful spot to kick back and relax!

We have stayed at many of the other hotels and resorts in the area. So what keeps us going back to Mirror Lake Inn so many times? Quite simply, it has been and probably will always be the best value for a 4 Diamond resort in Lake Placid. The inn and grounds are always well-maintained and clean. The ambiance is like a warm blanket and it is evident the moment you walk into the lobby. In addition, the friendly staff go out of their way to help you, no matter how big or small your problem might be. In fact, one morning I approached the front desk staff to let them know that I could hear water dripping in the toilet of our suite. On my way back from breakfast I ran into one of the maintenance workers who was carting the toilet away... but he assured me, "Don't worry, I left a new one in its place". (Good thing, because I was just about to use it.) During another one of our stays I noticed the compressor on the mini-fridge was a bit noisy. I asked a front desk staff member to have someone look at it... and it was replaced with a new fridge within an hour! Whether you want extra chocolates on your pillow, an extra blanket for the cool autumn nights, or a special meal at breakfast, lunch or dinner... or even a specific room to meet your needs, just ask and you shall receive!

I noticed two very recent bad reviews of Mirror Lake Inn. It is just rather dubious since those two reviews are at complete odds with all the other stellar reviews and they just happen to coincide with the opening of the Hampton Inn across the lake. One even mentions that inn, but got the facts wrong when comparing its room rates to that of Mirror Lake Inn. However, we are all entitled to our own opinion. It's just sad that they publically slammed the Mirror Lake Inn when any disagreement about the quality of service or wants and needs could have been resolved to each guest's complete satisfaction while still at the inn.

Room Tip: The 4th floor of the inn's Terrace Building are for adults only (no children allowed) and have a...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We just got back from four wondwerful days spent at MLI. We needed to get away to relax and regroup after what has been a very difficult 6 months. MLI gave us exactly what we needed. We are not strangers to this beautiful Inn and every time we visit we come back feeling rested, relaxed and pampered. We have eaten at many restaurants in Lake Placid but always feel happy to stay at MLI since they have 3 great restaurants, each offering a different type of meal and atmosphere, but always very pleasant and with delicious meals. The restaurant staff at all three restaurants are very friendly and go out of their way to accommodate your every request. If it's possible, they will get it for you, it's as simple as that.

We usually stay in the same room, since it offers us everything we want and need... king sized bed, beautiful Harden furniture, more than enough space for the two of us and last but not least a wonderful view. Having said this, we have also tried many of the other rooms and suites at MLI over the years and they were all very comfortable, tastefully decorated (all in keeping with the ADK surroundings), extremely clean and they all offered a feeling of peacefulness. Just last month, I was able to steal one night away with my mother and we headed straight for MLI. We had the opportunity to stay in one of the newly renovated room which now offers a four season room instead of a balcony. What they have done is expand the room by taking up the balcony space and turning that space into a beautiful sitting room. All of the front windows open up completely so you have the feelling of being in a screened-in porch. It's a brilliant idea that gives you both more living space and a balcony all at once. It really gives you the best of both worlds. Oh, and for those complaints I have read about the spiders... well this takes care of the spiders too. I happen to be one of those people who has a great dislike for spiders but I've never had a problem with them at MLI since I have seen the staff brushing all the webs and their inhabitants away not only once a day but several times a day. Don't forget that spiders do most of their work at night so you see more webs late in the evening or early morning! I can guarantee that spiders would never keep me away from MLI or the Adirindacks. Afterall, I do believe we humans are invading their space. When in the mountains by a beautiful lake one must expect to see spiders, if you prefer not to see them a simple solution would be to go to the ADKs in winter.

The one thing I have not covered is the spa. I have been fortunate enough to try out several spas over the years and I have never been disappointed in the spa or the spa treatments at MLI. I read a complaint from someone who said that during a couples massage, one person was very happy with their massage while the other found it just so-so. Massages are very personal and usually done by a person who is a stranger to you, so one must be honest with the therapist as to what kind of massage he or she likes. MLI offers wonderful facials... I strongly suggest their new XMF facial which is by far the best facial I have ever had... it's more than a facial and when you try it you will understand why it's absolutely the best!
I close by saying that MLI is my favourite go-to place. I've had the privilege of travelling quite a bit with my husband over the years but my feelings towards Mirror Lake Inn have never wavered. The best way for me to explain it is: GREAT ACCOMMODATIONS + GREAT STAFF & SERVICE + GREAT SETTING = MLI... and the price is well worth it!

Room Tip: *If you are looking for a specific type of room, go to the Inn's website to review the various r...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for being our guest! We truly appreciate your compliments and we strive to please every guest in the same ways! We look forward to your return!