“Great Place!”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Palo Alto, California
“Great Place!”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband and I just spent two nights/days at the Mirror Lake Inn and we loved it. My husband had heard about the place years ago and so when we were going to be in the area for his college reunion we decided to try it. We stayed on the 4th floor of the Mountain View Building in a very nice room. It was not a large room, but it was perfect for the two of us, great view of the lake, beautifully furnished, and had a very comfortable queen bed with great linens/pillows. The only negative we can say about the room was that there was not a night stand on the left side of the bed (and that was something we could live without for two nights). We had dinner and breakfast at the View Restaurant and had great meals and service. We also had drinks and dessert at the bar and had a great service experience there. The main lobby, reading room and other common areas were really wonderful, comfortable, relaxing. The setting/atmosphere made you feel like you were hanging out in someone's lake home not a hotel (very unlike our experiences at other hotels with lovely common areas - but not ones you want to hang out in). We spent time in front of the fireplace reading, on the deck watching the lake, listening to loons and enjoying afternoon tea, and all of it was lovely! I tried the Spa and had a great treatment (their unique water massage). We also spent a little time at the indoor pool and sauna, both exceeded our expectations for atmosphere, cleanliness, setting. All in all, we highly recommend the MIrror Lake Inn (and a visit to Lake Placid if you have never been). We plan to go back again (although it is a long way from California) and stay longer!

• Liked — Overall atmosphere and service.
  • Disliked — nothing really...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Woking
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn about 2 1/2 years ago and absolutely loved it. From the moment we walked through the door to the minute we left we felt well looked after. The food was gorgeous, service was great and friendly and our room had the most amazing view out onto the lake. I've never been to the Adirondacks before and it was my first trip to the area (I'm from England) so having experienced the warmth of the locals and this hotel I'd love to come back - if only we could afford a full week!

• Liked — The smell - the wood burning fire hooked me from the moment I walked in
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LisaB56
New York, NY
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My wife and three children went to Lake Placid and originally had booked at another Resort in Lake Placid (name withheld). Upon arriving at the original hotel, we were treated quite rudely and the service was snooty at best. I forfeited my deposit at the original hotel and decided to try out the Mirror Lake Inn. Once arriving, we were greeted warmly by a lady cleaning windows in the front. She guided us to the Front Desk and we then checked in with absolutely no problems. I was wary of the price at first and wanted to view some of the rooms. A bellhop came and met us to show some rooms and helped us make a decision quite quickly. I was amazed at how the gentleman detected our taste for what we wanted. He kept on showing us more rooms until he saw our faces light up. We took a beautiful room with a wonderful view and had no trouble checking in at all. Along the way to deliver our luggage, the bellhop saw what country we were from (probably from my bumper sticker) and started speaking in Polish to us! It was so refreshing to get back to speaking my native language! We spoke about our native land in our native tongue for about 20 minutes and then came into our room to find the cleanest place I have ever seen. I checked a few out of reach spots and still couldn't find any dust! The maid for our room was amazing as well! She went out of her way to get the items we needed and even gave us extra towels without us having to ask! I am amazed at the beauty of this town and this property and my family will most certainly return in the summer.

• Liked — The cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — Not enough decorations
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
New York City
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn the week of April 21st, and it was a very pleasant and relaxing experience. Being a very skeptical and picky person myself, I went on a whim based on their website, reviews, their friendly phone etiquette, and the mostly positive reviews on this website. It turned out so much better than I imagined! The rooms are very cozy and well sized, the atmosphere is very calm, and the staff is extremely nice and sophisticated. The Inn has that old vintage look to it because it reminds you of the rich history behind it. I know many people our age (we're 24) are all about partying to the wee hours and drinking heavily on "vacation", but frankly, living in the hyped up NYC I get to see and experience that all the time, so my intention was to get away from that for a few days and just spend time with my boyfriend away from the craziness. Plus, down here you never get to see the beautiful mountains or experience the serenity of a calm lake right outside your window. I didn't want to leave! Oh, and of course the spa treatments were amazing. Our favorite was the Maple Scrub. Highly recommended! Leaves you feeling extra clean and silky smooth, and I mean smooth. For about the length of my stay my skin was like a newborn baby's.

Not to be forgotten, the food was very good. I'm one of those people who love big breakfasts, so that was my favorite. The dinners were very good as well. If anything at all, I have to mention one disadvantage, and that's that there are no lunch and/or dinner packages if you're staying at the hotel. We did the Three for Two package which only included breakfast. But considering their dinner prices are pretty high, it would have been nice to have that as part of the deal also. For three nights worth of dinner, it gets pricey. They do have dinner coupons, but the price to purchase them was very close to what dinner costs without them anyway. Also, unfortunately for us, the indoor pool was closed for construction and the outdoor pool was still closed off before the summer, so we can't comment on them. Personally, I felt that because the pool is technically "part of the deal" as it is an area of the hotel we're entitled to use, I would have asked for a discount since we couldn't use it at all. Considering it was not an unexpected circumstance, it was already scheduled for maintenance that week.

But nonetheless I did get what I was looking for and that was a relaxing, pampering getaway with the one I love. Aside from the very small changes I'd make and the five hour drive from NYC, I certainly recommend the Mirror Lake Inn to anyone and will be returning in the future. Thank you!

• Liked — The room, spa, food and staff.
  • Disliked — Dinner prices, no access to either pool.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
lancaster pa
Reviewed April 23, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn for 3 nights, the week fo Valentine's Day, 2007, and to put it simply, it was everything one could hope for in a romantic getaway! Being greeted with warm homemade toll-house cookies and freshly brewed tea, you feel right at home right away! The lobby is so very inviting, with views of the lake through rows of windows, a huge fireplace, lots of nooks to sit and relax, read, or just look out at the beautiful snowcovered Adirondacks! Our room was even better, with beautiful woodwork throughout; a spacious, immaculately clean bath also with plenty of woodwork, and a roomy balcony with a view just like the lobby of the snow covered lake and mountains. Service was very prompt, though we needed very little of it, it seemed everything was provided before you could even ask. The breakfast buffet and the breakfast menu was incredible. We didn't have dinners there so I can't comment on them but I've heard they're also very nice!
The rack room rate is kind of steep but we got the valentine's package, which made it much more reasonable.
My girlfriend got a massage and spa treatment and said it was out of this world *( i didn't ask WHAT they did in there!)*

I've never before been so impressed with a hotel / inn that i just had to write a review. It's not just a place to stay but i'd say it's a destination in itself.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpawson
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We stayed 4 nights in a nice room overlooking the lake. The lake is the charmer here, not the inn. Service overall was great but we did have a couple problems. I ordered takeout at the Cottage, which is owned by the inn, and they lost my order. This was after I had inquired after the order many times with the waitstaff. So dinner for the family was late and when I called to complain, the desk was not very active in making me happy. Finally, I did get the meal comped, but when I got my bill, it turned out that they billed me! So I had to call and have that awkward conversation too. It's funny how top tier places can distinguish themselves in situations such as this. In this case, the inn distinguished itself as not belonging to that group. IMHO the inn is horrifically overpriced for what it delivers, especially if you're spending most of your time outdoors.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ichor
MLI, Director of Operations at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2008
Thank you for being our guest last July. The summer is a beautiful time of year to be in Lake Placid and I hope you enjoyed your visit.

We are pleased that you rated us 5 out of 5 for rooms, location, cleanliness, check in / front desk and that you felt “service overall was great”. I apologize for your take out order being delayed and for not deducting it from your final bill as we promised. I could not agree with your more that you should not have had to call to get this corrected. I am glad that ultimately we did get it fixed for you and there was no charge for your family’s dinner that evening.

I hope you accept our apology and visit us again soon.

Carl Gronlund, Director of Operations
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband, 7 month old son and I stayed 2 nights at the Mirror Lake Inn just to get away for a long weekend. I just got a big smile on my face when I walked into the cozy but pristine lobby. Everything was clean and smelled wonderful. I immediately saw comfy couches and a fireplace. There are two restaurants right in the lobby. Since we arrived in the afternoon, they were serving coffee, tea and cookies in the lobby. The hotel is directly across the street from Mirror Lake (with nothing obstructing the view) and only a very short walk from the center of town, which has plenty of shops and restaurants.

We stayed the first night in a Cloudsplitter room on the third floor. It had an amazing room. I looked out and saw a dog sled on the frozen lake!! We will definitely do that next time. The room was great. It had two bed and a nice bathroom. Again everything was so clean and modern.

We stayed the next night in a Main Building Marcy room. This room is a bit bigger with a sitting area and two beds. I think the balcony was larger. We loved this room because it was (indoor) steps away from the lobby. So convenient to the restaurants and pool. They said they like to use these rooms for families because of the location.

The pool and spa areas are really nice. The pool is decorated with trees and waterfalls! It has a huge jacuzzi. There is a workout room and salon also.

We ate two breakfasts in the View Restaurant. (We had the bed and breakfast package.) They serve a wonderful breakfast buffet with fruit, pastries, omelets, waffles, pancakes and fresh squeezed juice.

We got room service one night from the View. The pork dish was delicious. We ordered the corn flan, which they forgot to deliver. I had to go to the restaurant and wait for them to make one. (I waited because my baby was sleeping in the room.) They did not offer to take it off the bill. The flan was pretty tasteless. I would not order it again.

We can't wait to return to the Mirror Lake Inn. It had everything we could ask for and more.

• Liked — Location, environment, restaurants, view
  • Disliked — sometimes hard to get to where you want to go in hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family