“This is the way life should be!”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We have been visiting the Mirror Lake Inn for about 15 years now, with our most recent stay being April 22-25, 2012. I am currently in withdrawal from leaving the MLI -- if only the rest of life worked the way it does when you're a guest at the Mirror Lake Inn!

This is a family-owned place positioned on a hill facing Mirror Lake, at the end of the main business district of Lake Placid. So while you feel like you're on a quiet Adirondack lake (you are), you are also within walking distance to "downtown" Lake Placid. But the location is a small thing in comparison to the other aspects of this place.

When you walk into the lobby, the first thing that hits you is the spectacular aroma from the fireplace mixed with the relaxing herbal scents from the spa below. They say that the sense of smell strongly triggers our memories, and when I open their front door and take my first breath of this intoxicating scent, I want to cry I'm so happy. The inn is older and furnished with some vintage (antique?) furniture -- not opulent, but impeccably maintained. The front desk staff is always bright, efficient, and welcoming. As other reviewers have mentioned, chocolate chip cookies are offered at check-in, tea time, and even when you are leaving, but I have to disagree with my fellow travelers and say that, while it's great that they offer them, the chocolate chip cookies are probably one of the only disappointments here. One of the cool additions to the front desk is the proud display of the Olympic bronze medal the owners' son won in the 2010 Winter Games.

All of the rooms have balconies/terraces and face the lake. They are always some of the cleanest and best maintained rooms ever (I don't know how they get the bathroom grout so sparkling and flawless). I love that they automatically include an empty mini-fridge (no pesky mini-bar items) so that you can fill it with your own beverages and snacks. Housekeeping is attentive and nearly invisible -- regardless of when you leave your room, it's magically all fixed up when you return. The only complaint we have about the room is that the wireless internet service (for which they charge) did not work very well at all -- it was quite frustrating to have it constantly disconnect in the middle of my husband's phone meeting where he needed to be online. The front desk did refund our internet fee and buy us breakfast, but we would have preferred a wireless connection that worked.

All of the staff seem to be happily committed to making you feel cared for. For example, on a previous winter trip our car had trouble starting in the parking lot and a maintenance guy noticed this, brought us some "dry gas" additive, and stayed until the car started up, all without us asking! On another occasion we were having breakfast with some friends and one remarked to his wife that he wished his bacon was more crispy -- the waitress happened to hear this and immediately delivered another portion of crispier bacon. On another visit I asked a server at the View restaurant if they would be offering a spectacular banana cream pie I had enjoyed on another trip there. The server checked with the kitchen and regretted that their banana delivery had not occurred. Later on, someone came up to me and said that they went to the grocery store and bought bananas and would make the banana cream pie just for me -- it was delicious (I had it for several days) and made me feel wonderful!

And then there's the spa . . . it's on the lower level, and is nicely outfitted with a steam room, a whirlpool, simple yet narcotic showers, dark wooden lockers, etc. The spa staff is pretty much excellent to a person. Nobody "phones it in" -- they all are serious about their treatments yet relaxed and easygoing in their manner. I'm partial to the Mirror Lake Classic massage (Swedish) and the Four Layer Facial (the only facial I like anywhere), and my husband feels that they have the best hot stone massage. They tout their Maple Sugar Scrub, but I had it once before and felt the sugar grains were not as exfoliating as the traditional salt scrub, although my husband did mention that I smelled like a doughnut after I had that treatment (not a bad thing). Magically, attendants make sure that there is never a shortage of clean towels or clean shower stalls. Details like plastic bags for your wet swimwear are placed in each locker (that was actually a suggestion of mine one year and they did it).

So what you have here is a beautiful setting, a staff that anticipates your needs, a carefully maintained property down to the last detail, an excellent spa, and just an effortless experience. If only the rest of life worked like it does at the Mirror Lake Inn!

Room Tip: Even the least expensive rooms are lovely (you might get a partially obstructed view), but go for th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne C

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and two children stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn in March 2012 for 5 nights. We thought we could get in some late season skiing, but it turned out to be 80 degrees instead! So we changed course and had an extremely relaxing vacation together at the Mirror Lake Inn. Everyone was so accommodating and we had one of the best times ever. The front desk staff always had suggestions for us to check out even though it was off-season. We went horseback riding and hiking, and visited the Olympic Center. But some of the best times were just taking advantage of the Inn's many amenities. We had a picnic lunch on the dock, swam in the pool, and relaxed in the hot tub (especially after hiking to the Balanced Rocks!) My husband usually has some complaint for the hotel when we go away and this was the first time he could not think of anything! That says a lot. Definitely recommend this for people of all ages. Getting my parents a gift certificate for their anniversary. Will definitely be back. Thanks Mirror Lake Inn!

Room Tip: We stayed in a NoonMark room. It had a nice view of the Lake and was convenient to the amenities...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HiYoV
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thank you for being our guest! We are happy that you enjoyed your family vacation even though the late season skiing turned into an 80 degree heat wave! It’s nice to see that you enjoyed all our facilities and amenities and had a relaxing time. We look forward to your return!
Carl Gronlund

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My family and I visited MLI February 2012 for two day weekend stay. Upon entering the Inn the wonderful smell pine and wood burning fire greeted us. The front desk staff was very friendly and offered us their signature chocolate chip cookies. Delicious! Our room was absolutely beautiful with Adirondack decor hot tub and outdoor deck overlooking the lake. Heavy terry robes are included in each room for use. The spa is world class! I had one of the best massages ever! The indoor pool and huge Jacuzzi pool was great for the kids! We ate at the Bistro and the food was delicious. On some evenings The Bistro has a vocalist entertaining. The crowd can join in and sing or sit back and enjoy the entertainment. We also had the morning breakfast buffet at The View which was delicious as well. The afternoon tea is a signature tradition of the Inn. Tea, coffee and cookies are served in the lobby to enjoy in the library and surrounding common areas. There are also activities such as yoga, snowshoeing, ice skating, etc. offered for an additional charge and use of boats during the warmer weather. All in all we had a wonderful time at the beautiful Inn. Mirror Lake Inn is a luxury Inn therefore pricing reflects a higher end resort. It is so worth it! We plan to return annually!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank angelfirt3700
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mirror Lake Inn in one of the speciality rooms in the homes on the lake. Our room sat right on the water. Large windows on two sides to wake up to a beautiful water view. Walking distance to the charming town and a three mile walk around the lake. Wonderful spa and exercise room. Everything you need for a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have water views, but the rooms in the house on the lake are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for being our guest. I am glad that you enjoyed the Lake Cottage room, views, Spa, exercise room, downtown and walking around the lake and that you had a relaxing stay! We look forward to your next stay!
Carl Gronlund

Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn courtesy of a gift card we had recieved for $500. It was such an enjoyable 2 night stay that I really and truly did not want to leave! From the luxurious California king-sized bed and complimentary terry cloth robes to the exquisite dining and views, we felt so pampered! When we checked in and my husband was munching on one of the fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies, he remarked that all that was missing was a cold glass of milk. Sure enough, the young woman at the front desk promptly and very graciously brought him one! We went back the next year as well, and will try to make it an annual getaway. I love this place!

Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Went to the Inn for our winter getaway. Enjoyed the quiet atmosphere in the hotel during the day, plus the convenience of the lovely town. The room itself had an amazing view and was comfortable, but not fancy. The pool and hot tub were spacious and enjoyable. I used the spa for the most wonderful massage with Dolce. The spa facilities were a little disappointing though. The "relaxation room" was kind of small, and the steam room was not working. We did have dinner at The Cottage, which I would not recommend. It was really lunch food, and the quality was so-so. We enjoyed at nice breakfast at The View, though a bit overpriced. Everything was very clean and well thought out. I especially liked the no cell phone rule! We would definitely stay there again if they have a deal. Not sure I would be willing to pay full price.

Room Tip: Go for the lake view
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The four stars Mirror Lake Inn received were earned - this is an exceptional hotel. Clean and comfortable - incredible dining - lovely, gracious common areas. There is a reason this resort consistently receives the highest ratings.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple