“Fantastic family vacation”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I have spent many trips in Lake Placid at other properties but this is by far the best experience. We have to kids (9 & 5) and don't like to be trapped in a hotel room with them. The MLI has multiple family suites - we stayed in the fox den which was basically a regular room with a bunk room attached. PERFECT! Service is impeccable. The biggest issue we had was trying to decide where to swim - inside, outside, or the lake. Tough choices. Geat scavenger hunt for the kids. Great cookies. And a generally refreshingly helpful attitude. While not inexpensive, it wa totally worth the money. We will definitely go back and highly recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Itsamystery
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you for being our guests! We are glad that you found the Mirror Lake Inn to be your best Lake Placid experience and a perfect family destination. Our staff truly appreciate your comment about service! There are lots of things for families to do here and we are glad that yours enjoyed the scavenger hunt and swimming at the pools and lake! We look forward to your return!

There are newer reviews for Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Everything written on this site is true. It is a great place to go. It has a tiny but very nice little private beach which is perfect for families with small children. It is not busy at all and there is always someone around to answer your questions. The indoor and outdoor pools are wonderful. It is a short, short, short walk to downtown. Great location - best of all the hotels IMO.

The View Restaurant didn't have great service. We arrived exactly at 5:30 to eat with our kids to get the free meal and the service was lacking and the food was okay. Slow service is a bummer with kids. The food at the cottage was great and the atmosphere was great down there as well. The Bistro (I think that is the name) restaurant was okay, but again for some reason the food wasn't great. My kids, however loved the food at the View. So my advice, stick to the Cottage for great affordable food!!

One more thing: when we called to book, we were told the price for a basic suite was $375. I called and then later my husband called on a different phone. Both times, when I was on the phone and he was on the phone we both said that it was too expensive for us, and they IMMEDIATELY said, well, we can give it to you for $299. They mentioned it was the 4th of July deal. So.... if we hadn't said it was too expensive they wouldn't have told us this "deal" was available. It felt dishonest to us and we wonder what other magic words we might have said to get an even more reasonable rate.

Nonetheless we had a great time, would love to go back, but that does make a person wonder how much the other guests are paying... :(

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank blueeyesinthebunch
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us over the 4th of July weekend. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed our private beach, our location and the indoor and outdoor pools. I am pleased that you would love to come back.
I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during dinner. Our records indicate that you made your reservation in the morning for dinner that night. Saturday evening was extremely busy and our table availability was very limited. I understand from my staff that you did not care for the table we had available and they accommodated you in the Bistro instead of The View. We normally do not offer The View menu or early family dining in the Bistro but I understand that we made and exception for you. I am a bit confused on how you felt the service was slow. From the time you were seated in The View, moved to the Bistro and we provided you with the dinner check it took a total of 53 minutes. I am glad your kids love the food in The View and that you felt the food and atmosphere at the Cottage was great.
I was very disappointed to read that you felt we were being dishonest. Of all the things we do, being honest, fair and doing the right thing have always been and will always be the way we operate. The rate that our reservationist extended to you was a very special rate for a limited number of rooms that was only emailed to a small, select group. Since you were booking on the same day as you were arriving and we had the room available she made the decision to offer this to you.
Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

This resort has found the ideal blend of old world service with modern amenities and service! Everything was really special! Our Room was amazing. The Staff were amazing, all of it. The Spa was just the best. It felt like we were in a Swiss Alpine resort without having to fly anywhere. I cannot wait to return. We went for our anniversary and it was like a second honeymoon. The management even sent up a gift of Adirondack Chocolates.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LibraryLulu
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you for being our guests! We are happy that everything was very special for your Anniversary stay! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 22, 2011

In winter, what a pleasant welcome : a roaring fireplace ! A real bliss.
The lobby is rustic, the staff is efficient. Our room was spacious and very comfortable.
The breakfast room is pleasant. We had a delicious breakfast, in quality and choice.
The Cottage is a nice place to eat. It is cosy and offers a wonderful view over the lake.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hikingirl

Thank you for being our guests! We are glad that you enjoyed your spacious and comfortable guest room, breakfast and The Cottage. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 21, 2011

The purpose of our trip was for pure pleasure and that it was. Everything from check-in to check-out was simply amazing. Definitely on my list of "return to".

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My friend and I decided that we needed a stress relieving weekend, just something beautiful and relaxing. I've lived in New York my entire life, but had never been up to Lake Placid. Let me tell you, this was the best way to experience it for the first time. Mirror Lake Inn had a "girl's weekend" package (definitely always check their packages, they are GREAT deals.) and it was well worth every penny. Normally when I stay at an expensive hotel I'm disappointed, and never think it's worth the money... but this place was absolutely amazing. It is absolutely beautiful, with Christmas lights outside all year long, yummy homemade cookies at the front desk all day, and incredibly helpful sweet staff, the food was I'd say between good and really good, the rooms were beautiful and clean and quiet, and the view from our room was breath taking. We spent the whole time just relaxing, either near their fireplace in the living room with a good cup of coffee, or at the spa which was also very nice. I loved it so much my boyfriend and I are heading back this weekend and taking advantage of their June Pride package and I'm so excited!!! Definitely worth every penny!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We loved it. The people are nice, the room was old-fashioned but extremely comfortable, and the food at The View was great. Ask for a nice view, and you'll get a room with a balcony overlooking the llake.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple