“Daniel, the owner not cooperative, terrible booking experience.”

Quality Inn Lake Placid
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
New York City, New York
“Daniel, the owner not cooperative, terrible booking experience.”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I booked hotel on wrong date and realized right away, so I called owner Daniel. I told him it was an error, I meant to book for tomorrow not today, I am still at home today. I asked if he could change the booking for tomorrow. He told me that tomorrow is fully booked and he refused to cancel my booking for today. To sum it up, I was not happy with the experience on the phone with him. I lost $318 for an error, but if I'm asked to go back to the hotel, I will say no. NEVER DID AND NEVER WILL.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YanlinH
lakeplacidci, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Lake Placid, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your review on The Comfort Inn on Lake Placid. I want to take this time to apologize for your bad booking experience. I completely understand your frustration but would also like to mention that there is no one at this establishment by the name of Daniel. We hope that this experience hasn't spoiled your opinion of all Comfort Inns and that you will stay with us in the future.
Comfort Inn Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Woburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. Excellent value for the price. Chose a room with a mountain view, tried it one night, then booked it for the rest of the week. Decent continental breakfast (with amazingly good hot oatmeal...other hotels should learn from them!), nice hot tub and pool in the evenings. A couple of times we bought dinner at a local grocery store and ate at the table in front of the floor to ceiling windows and little balcony of our room enjoying the sunset on the gorgeous mountains. That was fabulous! Also took out one of their rowboats into their sheltered bay of Lake Placid, had a picnic in the boat, and enjoyed the perfect view of Whiteface Mountain from the opening to the bay. The bathroom facilities were excellent and the beds very comfortable. The only thing we didn't like was the door between two rooms that allowed too much noise. But we stuffed the gap area with wash cloths and solved that problem. We chose the mountain views but they also have a few lakefront rooms. Excellent central location for everything in the area. Also has a trolley every half hour to the congested shopping area if that is your thing.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for mountain views or lake view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda O
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel and for two nights. The first night was in the lower building, which was fine except we had a few internet problems and hearing people walking on the floor above us. Then next day we asked for a second floor room, so they moved us to the upper building (where the indoor pool is). The room was larger and the internet was better. Our sliding glass doors had a great mountain view. The bathroom was very nice and spacious. The only problem with our room was the soft pillow top mattress; it was too soft and my back was killing me by the morning. The lower building had firm beds, so next time I will stay down there. The big surprise was the pool and hot tub. The pool is large and has a 9" deep end. You can actually swim in it! The temperature was perfect. A whirlpool/hot tub as attached and it was fine too. We did not partake of the complimentary breakfast because we ate all of our meals at the Howard Johnson's restaurant next door. Hojo's has the best breakfast in town! Highly recommend it. The Comfort Inn has some nice pluses, but the buildings, especially in interior spaces, really need a complete redo. With the right colors and designs, it could easily be one of the best hotels around.

Room Tip: Not all the beds are the same; some are firm and others have pillow tops (soft). You can drive up t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our 2 day stay at this pleasurable hotel. There are several rooming arrangements available, and we chose the Tree House a separate unit down from the main accommodations in a lagoon just off Lake Placid. It was on stilts overlooking a pleasant yard bounding the water. The hotel had boats available at no cost. There was ample seating, and a stocked fire pit for evening use. Our room was ½ of the octagonal Tree House structure, lots of room for the king bed, TV with HBO, DVD player, dresser, living area couch & chairs, desk, and kitchenette. The continental breakfast was one of the best we’ve ever had in any Choice Hotel or others. Plenty of hot food, exceptional coffee, and all the breakfast fixings’’ one can imagine. The receptionists were extremely helpful, not only suggesting things to see but places to eat. Their 1st suggestion of a place to eat was so good, we went back our 2nd night also. It’s tough to go to an unknown, when the knows are sooooooo good! We’ll be back to this Comfort Inn again!

Room Tip: Tree House gave privacy, but main area had lots of nice amenities like pool & fitness access, am...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SouthernTier47320
Troy, New York, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn at Lake Placid after running the Adirondack Ragnar Relay Race. In case you aren't familiar this is a race that starts in Saratoga, NY and finishes up in Lake Placid, NY.

After a race like this you want a nice place to shower and crash. This hotel not only provided that but went above and beyond! They offer a very nice continental breakfast served up in their hotel pool/hot tub/arcade area. In the morning I had run out of towels. I asked the office for some additional towels and they were there in less than 5 minutes!

They even have a tree house and lake side fire pit! So great!

Oh, did I mention they offer free paddle boat rentals?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nikki A
BRATTLEBORO, VT
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am traveling solo, yet they upgrade me to a very nice suite that has two large bedrooms with queen beds in each room. I cannot sleep in two separate rooms -- no matter how hard I try. How about giving me a standard room and REDUCING my room rate instead! I would be much happier with that.

Not to be crabby, but I'm just trying to be honest with my review. I had a tough time connecting to the internet. It could have been my computer, but I travel with my laptop quite a bit and don't have similar connectivity problems elsewhere.

The breakfast was typical of the Choice hotels: scrambled eggs, sausage patties, make-your-own waffles, bread, pastries, juice, and coffee. The waffles were gross, but everything else was fine. The sitting area was very spacious.

The property caters better to vacationers than business travelers. Checking in late and leaving in the morning does not leave much time to enjoy the pool or lake.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ILOVERMONT4
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

First of all, I'd like to say that this hotel really isn't a bad place to stay, especially for the price. But it does have some negatives that should be discussed, along with the positives. First of all, most of the rooms in the hotel are in the upper building, and are arranged in a large rectangle surrounding the inside pool atrium. This is a two-floor building, and there is NO ELEVATOR OR RAMP GOING TO THE SECOND FLOOR, so if you are handicapped, this is a non-starter. Even the rooms on the first floor are tough for a wheelchair to access. You'd have to get a room in the lower building.

There also aren't many rooms with king beds; most are two queens, so that's another down point. One other thing to mention is that this hotel runs out of things quickly. The pool supposedly has towels for the swimmers, and asks the swimmers NOT to bring their room towels. Yet the pool, more often than not, is out of towels. If you call the main desk, they will bring them up in about 20-30 minutes, but they seem "put out" when you ask them to do so.

The same thing is true at the complimentary breakfast, which isn't a bad meal for the price of the room. But they run out of things and sometimes take quite a while to replace them. This happened with the eggs yesterday. This morning, when someone asked about getting more fruit in the fruit bowl, the attendant simply replied that "they had run out by 7:30 AM," and it was now 9:00 AM. Well...then get more fruit!!! Nope, it never happened.

That being said, some of the service was actually quite good. The front desk attendant gave us a lot of good info about restaurants and things that were going on around town. Also, housekeeping brought my wife a phone charger for free to replace the one that she had lost, so that was a positive note too.

BTW, this hotel is NOT on Main Street but requires about a half-mile walk to get into town. But it's an easy stroll (with a couple of hills), and the sidewalk is in good shape the entire way.

All told, this is a decent hotel that costs less than many of the other local hotels, and I would return there, accepting the inconsistent service as a price of the reduced rate. It really isn't that bad of a place.

Room Tip: If you have kids, get an inside room on the first floor of the upstairs building. That way, they wil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family