“We really enjoyed our stay here”

Quality Inn Lake Placid
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband had an art show in Lake Placid, so I went online and ended up (blindly, because it was one of the bidding sites) getting this place across the street from his show at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts. We were only going to stay for three nights, but extended our stay one more night. I love the neighborhood; it's a vibrant community with an arts center, several restaurants, and a health food store (Green Goddess) close by.

I also LOVE the location in general. You're high up the side of a hill, next to a lake, with free paddle boats/canoes/kayaks. I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoyed paddle boating with my husband (tips: check the weather report before you go out, watch for rain, and bring sunscreen and drinking water)! Our room was one of the front-facing rooms, with a sliding glass/screen door, little deck, and two chairs. The mountain breeze coming in the room was so healing and restful.

We're vegetarians, but we made do with oatmeal, mixed berries, watermelon slices, and orange/cranberry juice on the breakfast bar.

The room was just okay. Without the screen door open to let in fresh breeze, the room would have been very musty for us. One of the beds was a little itchy. We brought a sleeping bag in case of something like this, we've traveled a lot and are used to dealing with budget hotels, and so we had tea tree oil (kills mites) ready to go. The staff was so eager to help us (especially the housekeeping staff) that it made up for any failings in the room, however.

Amenities: The mini-fridge has a little freezer compartment; it's not a tiny cube. There's also a microwave, coffee maker, and hair dryer. We tried the jacuzzi after taking a swim in the lake. We much preferred the lake water over the chlorinated water, but that's just us! The kids staying at the hotel seemed to love the pool.

I always have to use my phone wifi when I'm traveling. Don't expect high speeds on the hotel wifi. That's pretty normal, though. I can't remember the last time I had a great connection in a hotel.

Summary: it's kind of a basic hotel, sure. It just is what it is. But the lake and fresh mountain air are very big pluses for us. We had very good experiences with all the staff, too. Five stars for location and service. We're all adults here: you get what you pay for! If you want a perfect hotel in the high season in Lake Placid, you'll pay 3-4 times what we did!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a paddle boat/canoe/kayak! You're on a lake connected to Lake Placid. It's...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nayacat

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was "dog friendly", but after staying here I felt like it was not. Upon arrival and after a very unfriendly greeting, I was told there was a $15 charge per dog, $30 total! (we've stayed at other, nicer comfort inns with not pet charge at all) On top of this, upon checking my credit card statement, I was double billed on the extra "dog fee" for a total of $60! We were also asked to provide vaccination records for both dogs which is pretty ridiculous and then told that they are not allowed to be left unattended in the room at any time. I'm so glad we lugged two crates around the country in our car to be told that.

I also felt that because we had pets we were given the designated "dog room" as we received a room that was musty smelling and had the most disgusting carpet that was pulling away from the floor as you walked in and showed exposed plywood. I took a photo of it just in case staff tried to accuse my dogs of wrecking their beautiful carpet.

The rooms are also extremely outdated and in need of repair. We were on the road for two weeks on vacation staying in various comparable hotels across Canada and the US (this was one of the most expensive), and the Comfort Inn Lake Placid was the worst room by a longshot.

If you are staying in Lake Placid, find another hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat O
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were in town for the Ironman. The hotel is perfectly located for either a quick drive or a leisurely walk (a mile+) to all the action.

We stayed in one of the lower level rooms that opened up to the lake. It was extremely outdated in every way imaginable, BUT it was clean and comfortable with 2 queens, a huge closet, a mini fridge, etc. Probably one of my favorite features was the duck family that lived outside our door. They were so friendly that I even picked one up! I heard them "honk" a couple times but despite their friendliness they were not a nuisance.

For IMLP this is a great place to stay. We would return!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our second stay at this location. This is a nice property conveniently located to provide access to a number of outdoor activities. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The staff was personable. We had a lovely view from our room. Boating on Paradox Bay available

Room Tip: Nice views from the separate upper building.
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in 1979 when it was a Howard Johnsons, and again last week. It's better now. The value for me was that they had the full breakfast and better yet a couple of canoes, paddleboats, and rowboats - all at no extra charge. Bkfst is pretty std throughout the chain - but most don't back up to Lake Placid. One of the canoes was missing the center seat, so it was no good for solo use. A minor fix.

Room Tip: Rather than stay in the rooms facing the indoor pool (which have no view of the mountains, I stayed...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2013

At last minute lucky to find room here for ironman this past weekend. My son participated in event and I volunteered in men transition tent. Inn met our needs, but price was inflated due to event. Interior room was large and quiet. Breakfast was good. Staff pleasant and helpful. About 1.5 miles from mirror lake up and down big hill. Easy walk if parking an issue in village. Access to lake placid with free paddle boats and canoes - nice area for picnic. Right on main road but most rooms up a hill so road traffic not an issue. Free USA today and Wall Street journal made for good reading. Provides wifi but my iPad kept getting dropped. No AT&T cell service inside room. On balance a good choice if reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Get outside room, as interior rooms overlook pool and not sure how quiet they would be at night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We recently had to hotel hop in Lake Placid. Ironman was in town and we didn't plan ahead....I did a quick search for available lodging that led us to Comfort Inn, Lake Placid. Right off the bat the folks here made us feel welcome- they let us check in early (before 8AM) so we could hit the peaks without delay. Usually unheard of but they made it happen and did so with pleasure.

Our room was clean and spacious. At this point in the game, you should expect a fridge, coffee maker, quality air/heat unit and flat screen that works- not that we were going to watch TV but bedtime habits are hard to break. This property got it right.

Two negatives- charged too much compared to properties that are "in town" and we had an inside room which meant that our view consisted of the indoor pool area and breakfast bar. Probably a great room if you have kids or interest in public pools and hot tubs. It also made the room very dark. Not a big deal, but if we had to stay longer would have preferred an "outside" facing room.

Bottom line- if you can get in, stay here