“Good ski vacation”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Nice place in the middle of the Lake Placid, about 10 miles from Whiteface mountain. Good clean big rooms. Nice view if you on the Mirror lake side room.
A lot of restaurants close by. Not much for apres-ski activities.
Good value for off-season sale ski package.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Mark_13_11,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Golden Arrow. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of our very low priced off season ski package. I’m glad you found our guest rooms clean, large, and with nice views. I hope you will stay with us again soon, maybe try us out in the summer. Thank you, again, for your review.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Golden Arrow staff are very friendly. The room we're in, 109, is lakeside and renovated. It's winter now, but in the summer this room would be even nicer as there is a French door to the lake with a nice porch, and I understand there is a nice sand beach just a few feet away from the room. I believe all the rooms on this floor at least (North Wing) are renovated, and the renovations are done very thoughtfully, tastefully, and clearly done by a professional. The bed is very comfortable, maybe not quite as much so as Westin's Heavenly Bed, but just a hair below and certainly leaps and bounds above most hotels. The gym is quite good for a hotel, with a full set of free weights, 2 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, a universal with pullup bars, a couple of leg machines, a rower, a couple of weight benches, an ab machine, and a couple of others, plus several TV's and a good sound system. Very nice bathrooms attached as well with nice showers, completely renovated and done very tastefully. The Alpine Mall is upstairs which is convenient. Tried the indoor pool and hot tubs yesterday and they were quite nice and clean, and large. Not large enough for lane swimming, but very nice. This place would be very exceptional in the summer, though today I'm looking at many people enjoying winter sports on the very frozen lake: an igloo was built on the ice for children to play, there is an oval track cleared (by a truck so it's FROZEN) for dog sledding, a bunch of kids are playing ice hockey, there were several cross country skiiers taking a trek, and then just a bunch of folks enjoying walks over the snowy ice. It's snowing now, and I see some folks out there having fun skating. So, though I personally like the summer a bit more perhaps, it's absolutely lovely in the winter with no shortage of fun things to do. The lobby here is lovely with a huge window looking over the lake. I have not eaten here so I can't help you with that part. But, I would certainly recommend this hotel to you.

Room Tip: For the summer months, the ground floor rooms are excellent as you can walk in/out of your room from...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank litetravellerNYC
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear litetravellerNYC,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in the first floor north wing. I will be sure to tell our Director of Beautification all of your compliments on the updates and renovations to the resort. Being a family owned resort there is very much thought and care that goes into every decision, and all of those decisions are made right on our property and are unique to our resort. Though it may take us longer to update all of our rooms, in the end, I believe, we get the best results because the people who are making the decisions know our property better than anyone and care more than anyone else is going to.

I am definitely ready to see our beautiful beach, guests kayaking and children playing in the sand, but I can also appreciate how amazing the winter wonderland that our guests can enjoy right outside our doors. We have skied, skated, built snowmen, and so much more out on that lake this year. It’s been wonderful, but I agree, it’s almost April, I’m ready for spring!

You will have to come back and stay with us this summer, and make sure you request a first floor room. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your experience here. I hope to see you next time you’re in Lake Placid.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've stayed here several times through the years.. most recently last week. Location couldn't be better.. on the lake, center of town and walking distance to everything.

Stayed in a basic room which was fully updated and very comfortable... excellent pillow-top beds.. lots of pillows.. Keurig coffee machine..

Only negative was I lucked into a great parking spot outside... clerk said I had to move but when I pressed as to why she had no answer... so I stayed with no issues.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear TravelinMan314,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Golden Arrow. I’m glad that our unbeatable location and comfortable beds keep you coming back time and time again.

As far the parking, I’m not sure why our clerk needed you to move your car. My first guess is a bus was coming and you were possibly in the top part of the lot where the bus parks. Sometimes we try to do this far in advance so it is possible that you were gone before the bus came. My other guess is there a place right next to the main entrance where people have been parking lately that actually aren't parking spots, so that could be why she needed you to move as well.

Nevertheless, I am extremely glad you choose the Golden Arrow for your visits to Lake Placid. Thank you for reviewing the resort, I hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I loved this hotel. My fiancé and I stayed in one of the deluxe suits so we had a balcony view of the lake, a jacuzzi tub, and fireplace!! We didn't want to ever leave the room in a non-sexual way. The room was just SO NICE! The front desk staff was a little rude and could not be bothered when we checked in, but it was around midnight. The parking is ridiculous. My fiancé has a large truck and there was no parking in the main lot so we were told to use one of the underground garages- which his truck was too big for. We had to PAY for additional parking in the lot across the street each day for our entire stay. The hotel is right near everything and we walked everywhere. Cute shops and places to eat in the town. We woke up in the morning to a great view, people ice skating, and dog sledding. I would recommend this hotel!!! Just don't loose your room key- they charge you $5 per key!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nikki L

Nikki L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Golden Arrow. It’s fantastic that you were so happy with your room. It’s been a very cold winter and so I’m sure sitting front of the fire was very enjoyable for you.

We all, here at the resort, realize that one of the first impressions you get when you arrive is how you are received at the front desk, no matter what time it is. I apologize that you found the night front desk staff to be rude; I have spoken with them about this review and really don’t think it will happen again.

Unfortunately there is not too much we can do about our parking situation. We actually have more parking than most hotels in the area. It is very rare that we can’t find a spot for one of our guests, even if they are driving a large truck, so I sincerely apologize it happened for you.

I thank you for the recommendation and I truly hope to see you at the Golden Arrow again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have never written a review, but I have to comment on this fantastic hotel!

We recently returned from a wonderful getaway in Lake Placid, Whiteface, and the Golden Arrow, which my husband and I agree was our best hotel experience....ever!

For starters, we have a family of 6, so finding hotel rooms that can accommodate us is often a problem. Golden Arrow had not just one, but several options, which is what drew us to the property in the first place. Then, when we decided to upgrade, we were presented with options that worked even better for us! All of our questions were answered by friendly, knowledgeable representatives. I should know, I had a lot of them and they were all fielded competently and graciously.

When a snowstorm forced us to change our plans and arrive a night early, the hotel was able to accommodate us and had us in our room swiftly even though we arrived late at night. Then, the staff efficiently moved our luggage to our reserved accommodations the following day. My husband and I panicked briefly when we realized our son's handmade blanket was not placed with the rest of the luggage in the morning (our bad, not GA's), but rejoiced to find that even this treasure had been kept safe by housekeeping and was at the desk waiting for us!

EVERYONE on the staff, from front desk to housekeeping was extremely polite and friendly and - imagine this - looked like they enjoyed their jobs! Could this, perhaps, be a reflection of overall excellent management? I am inclined to say "yes!"

Not to be overlooked in our wonderful stay: Lovely location on the lake and right in the heart of town (we parked and walked to everything), VERY COMFORTABLE beds (as good as ours at home!), extra pillows on the bed, thick and thirsty towels, fireplaces, lake views, a guest book that provided helpful information about the area AND it's history, good mugs for our coffee that felt nice to hold, indoor garage parking (very convenient in a snowstorm), personal care products that were not only "green" but very high quality, a recycling program, and the overall "green" orientation of the property, which includes interpretive artwork in the halls which - very helpful in educating our whole family on how even little things can mean a lot.

In fact, that may sum our experience: all of the little things here work to create an overall excellent experience!

PS: The "Green Roof" was covered in snow when we were there, but aside from it's obvious "green" impact, we thought it was a brilliant use of a space that might otherwise be an unsightly rooftop. It must be lovely, during the growing season, to see the garden and lake while dining!

PPS: Renovations are on going. Our rooms were "newer" than some website pictures show. A pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: For our large family, the Phelps and Normandy rooms which connect worked great!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear 72MTS,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am so very happy that your family of 6 was able to find comfortable accommodations at the Golden Arrow. We pride ourselves on being the most family-friendly resort in Lake Placid so it’s fantastic to know that we delivered that for you.

You said so many amazing things in your review that it’s difficult to point them all out here. One of my favorites was that you said it looked like every one of our staff members was extremely polite, friendly, and looked like they enjoyed their jobs. The Golden Arrow is a great place to work and it’s great that our guests are able to tell that and benefit from it. I also thank you for pointing out our lovely location and in room amenities.

I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Lake Placid. Maybe you will want to try the Panther or Morningside Suite; both are great options for a family of six. Again, thank you for your review; I truly appreciate all of your kind words. I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Went to get away fell in love in more ways then my new place to go. Going again aril 2014 already booked. Stayed in haystack so worth every penny, couldn't begin to explain how great a must see must stay recommended to any one, you will find yourself so pleased with your stay.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Ginellehunter,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and recommendation. I’m very glad we are your “new place to go.” It is easy to fall in love with the Haystack room; it is one of my favorite rooms as well :). We look forward to having you again in April. I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Golden arrow a few months ago.
Stayed in the haystack suite.loved it.
This is the best hotel in lake placid.
Great views,wonderful rooms,affordable,and very comfortable.
It is a complete gem.
I will not go anywhere else.
Going again in April.
Sabrina Hansen

Room Tip: Stay in rooms with view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sabrina H
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Sabrina,

Thank you very much for reviewing your great experience at the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful that you enjoyed your stay in the Haystack Specialty Room; I love that room as well! Your kind words really mean a lot to us, I’m glad you think we’re the best in Lake Placid (I happen to think so too, but I might be biased ;)). I look forward to your return in April; I wish you safe and happy travels until then.