“Family getaway/hockey tourney” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Wellington, Canada
“Family getaway/hockey tourney”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife myself and are two kids stayed from Dec 30 until Jan 5th for skiing and a hockey tourney The weather had to be the coldest of the winter but the resort was very warm and comfortable, we really enjoyed are stay. The staff were very very helpful they went above and beyond, one of the front desk ladies offered to go out after her shift ended to pick up something from the store for my wife and one of the house keeping ladies after telling us of a great cupcake shop went without us asking her and bought us a box of them and gave them to us as a gift. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years but have never had this service. Overall we loved the Golden Arrow and all that Lake Placid has to offer, main street is like something out of a movie. The one draw back about the restaurants in the area is they refuse to give separate bill's even if it is only two families it all goes on one bill, when you ask why the answer is separate bill's are too confusing. I have owned a restaurant in a tourist town in Ontario for 22 years and we deal in large groups all the time and always give separate bill's when asked

Room Tip: The lake view rooms have a breath taking view of the mountains
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Cecilia D,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I’m ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to go above and beyond their regular duties for you, we strive for that kind of excellence at all times.

I apologize that some of the local restaurants do not have the ability to give separate bills. I did check with the manager of our restaurant, Generations, and she said that the reason that they don’t separate checks for groups of 5 or more is because they have to put the orders in separately and then most of the time that means that the food doesn't all come out at the same time. It’s also often difficult to keep track when children are staying at different tables from the parents and such. She did say that they will split up the check into however many forms of payment are necessary.

Thank you again for your review. I hope you will stay with us again soon. Happy New Year!

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I just came back from my trip at the Golden Arrow and it was great. When we checked in we were given a welcome basket filled with local goodies!!!! We were given a room facing the lake it was very nice. We noticed the location of our room was super noisy. I called the front desk for a possible new room, within 10 minutes from speaking with the manager we were looking at another room. :-). In the afternoons the resort had hot coco and cookies in the lobby over looking the lake, very nice touch. After visiting Lake Placid and the Golden Arrow we are planning another trip back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate M,

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time at the Golden Arrow. The Holidays are a wonderful time to be in Lake Placid, everything is lit up like the North Pole! We love handing out locally made goodies to our guests during the holiday season, I’m glad you appreciated them, as well as the hot chocolate and cookies.

We can’t wait to have you back in the future, whether you come later this winter, spring, summer, or fall, there is always something to do in Lake Placid and at the Golden Arrow. I wish you safe and happy travels in 2014!

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had our company holiday celebration at the Golden Arrow Resort. The rooms were wonderful and the view was beautiful. Sales staff was extremely helpful (thank you, Amber & Brandon!!!). Everything was done to our specifications and went smoothly. Couldn't have been happier! Had dinner & breakfast at the Generations Restaurant - wonderful time, but I'll write a separate review for that.
One caveat:
The lobby is on the third floor, which can be confusing. The several renovations have created endless hallways that are poorly signed. We got lost several times trying to get to the garage and the restaurant. Front desk wasn't very clear with directions within the hotel either, so that didn't help.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the lake, for sure!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Patricia R,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Golden Arrow! I’m thrilled that you and coworkers were able to celebrate the holidays with us. I will be sure to pass along your ‘thank you’ to Brandon and Amber.

I apologize that the front desk didn’t give you clearer directions around the resort. Because the resort was expanded to greatly over time, its layout can get confusing at times. We quiz our front desk staff on the locations of different rooms and amenities around the resort so they are able to answer guest’s questions perfectly. After reading your review I sent out a note to the entire front desk staff to let them know that if a guest seems confused after they explain the directions, please give them a map of the hotel to help them on their way. Next time you stay with us we will be sure to get you a map at check in.

Thank you again for your wonderful review, we look forward to having you again in the future. Happy New Year!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in the haystack room. It looked new and had many interesting features like the in room SPA (air bubbles only), gas powered fire place and a very big and beautiful bathroom.
I has a small balcony facing the lake. Plus all the other usual conveniences like AC and big screen TV.
The hotel is very well located, it's a walking distance to the main street with all the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bzhpq,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. It’s great to hear that you loved our Haystack Specialty room; it is one of my favorites as well. I’m glad you were able to enjoy all that the room has to offer, like the whirlpool tub as well as gas powered fireplace.

I hope you will stay with us again, either in the Haystack room or one of our other wonderful specialty rooms. I wish you safe and happy travels in the New Year!

Monroe, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Booked this through a last minute deal with major discount - You would never know it from the service and friendliness of the entire staff. The hotel sits on Mirror Lake and the views are fantastic. Watching sled dogs race across the lake and then relaxing in the hot tub(s) was great fun. The village is great to walk through and enjoy and a short trip to Whiteface Mountain will put you on a gondola ride 4,700 feet up and looking at the entire High Peaks region. The hotel is warm and comfortable - the breakfast (included) was first rate. Catch some great food and music across the road at Delta Blues. Down the road you have the Dancing Bears Lounge (across from the sled dog training area) The hotel features a restaurant as well - worth a stop with a nice lounge for late night unwinding.

Room Tip: Choose the Village side room - you can enjoy the lake view anytime. The morning sun off a snow cover...
Green Features: Solar energy being used for pool and other areas is a new feature, many other Eco-friendly efforts taking place as well
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael C
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Michael C,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to really take advantage of all Lake Placid has to offer while you were here, so fantastic! I hope you will stay with us again, be sure to “like” us on Facebook to see if we’re running any more deals!

Happy Holidays!
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed here in mid December in the Haystack room, and it was lovely. We arrived around 2 pm and were able to check in immediately. When we got there, the woman at the front desk seemed distracted, bored, and pretty unfriendly. She didn't tell us where anything was (restaurant, gym, pool, etc), any information about check out times, or where we could park. They have underground garages and an outdoor lot, but we had to go back and ask if there was a specific spot for us to park in. That being said, the whole hotel is kind of confusing, but they try to keep it well marked.

The room itself was really upgraded (since it was a specialty room) and I loved all of the features. The bathroom was really beautiful, I loved the stone look to the shower and the rain showerhead (never used one of those before!). The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in, I'm a light sleeper and don't sleep well with others tossing and turning, but I didn't feel it at all in this bed. The fireplace and jetted tub were just added bonuses and almost seemed necessary after being out for hours in sub zero temperatures! I like that they are environmentally conscious, as these are values very important to me. The shampoo/conditioner was seemingly organic and came in these paper packages instead of plastic bottles, they had a recycling bag in the room (I would have loved to see this extended to more plastics..), and I could tell the toilets were low flow.

Besides the front desk, the rest of the staff was very friendly. The cleaning staff was very nice, they had recognized us walking up and down the halls and always said hi and asked if they could help us in any way. She even saw us leaving for one morning to go workout in the fitness center and by the time we came back, our room was made and spotless--which was super convenient. The fitness center was nice, it had one elliptical, 3 treadmills, a rowing machine, and lots of weight areas and lots of space, bathrooms, etc. It was much bigger than other hotel gyms I've been to. We couldn't get in it at first with our card, apparently they had changed the code, so that was a bit annoying. Pool area was big (big enough for lap swimming). Lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas and felt really cozy with a big fireplace and view of the frozen mirror lake and the snow falling.

Lots of hockey players were there on Saturday night, I was glad they were all concentrated in one place because it was pretty noisy walking through there. No noise by our room which was great. The hotel has a great central location so you can walk to the olympic center and to the downtown. Parking downtown in the snow on the side of the road isn't an issue here since you can park at the hotel and just walk. All in all, it was a very relaxing weekend and the place was a really great short getaway in the beautiful mountain town!

Room Tip: The Haystack room is great. At the end of the hall, great views of the lake.
Green Features: I loved the environmentally friendly shampoos, the recycling and the low flow toilets.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Honu18,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the Haystack specialty room. Thank you for pointing out our comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom, cozy atmosphere, environmental consciousness, and so much more! You definitely painted a wonderful picture of the resort for future guests.

I apologize that our front desk staff member was not more friendly and helpful when you arrived. I have printed out your review and know for a fact that our front desk manager has gone over it with every front desk staff member. I assure that the next time you stay with us you will not have this negative experience upon arrival.

Again, I thank you very much for your kind words. I hope you have a very happy holiday!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Our family stayed at this hotel as part of a hockey tournament. The rooms were adequate. I booked a suite and found it to be a bit tired and in need of renovation. The view was lovely, and the housekeeping staff were very nice. However, the the meal plan that was offered as part of our package was deemed by the whole team to be so gross that we decided as a group to eat all the meals outside of the hotel. Although several of us complained to the wait staff about the food and the greasy dishes they were served on, we got the usual "sorry" and "shrug." I took my complaint on behalf of the whole team to the front desk who told me to contact the hockey association that booked it -despite the fact that they did not make the food. When I returned home I sent an e-mail regarding my concerns about the food and asked for reimbursement of the meal portion. My concerns were dismissed, and I was told that the staff did not receive any complaints, essentially claiming that I was lying. Don't stay here-and definitely don't eat here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sleeplessintoronto12
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of our resort. I am the owner and the person who you wrote to after you had departed. I also work in close partnership with CanAm, the hockey company who put on the tournament here in Lake Placid. We host these tournaments 16 - 20 weekends per year and have been doing so for decades. They are wonderful tournaments that bring an air of excitement to the resort and village. During these tournaments we are feeding anywhere from 100 - 400 athletes and their families. Obviously the restaurant operates differently during those weekends to accommodate those numbers. The food is buffet style with a "kid friendly" selection, an alternative of different pasta options and several stations including a carving station and dessert buffet. Definitely a different atmosphere than the plated, served meals we usually offer. However, we get great reviews for quality and efficiency from nearly all the teams that stay here. If there is an issue, be it dietary or someone not pleased with the service we always address it immediately. I am so sorry that you were not satisfied.

In your case, no one reported to management any issue with the food service over that weekend. I heard no complaints until I received your letter several weeks later. It is certainly not true that entire teams did not eat the buffet over that weekend. We count of the meal passes and keep track.

We always do our best to make sure that all of our guests are happy with the service they receive whether they are travelling with a huge hockey tournament or just as an individual. I do hope you enjoyed Lake Placid and hope you will be back.
Jenn Holderied