“A fine view of Mirror Lake”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“A fine view of Mirror Lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a room overlooking the Mirror Lake, which was lovely with views across to Whiteface Mountain. The room was clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was an 'unusual' colour, but everything worked well. We were unfortunately next to the lift shaft, which was quite noisy, but as there were only oldish people who seemed to go to bed early, it wasn't a problem (but it might have been in high season). The town is lovely, with pretty shops. There were plenty of good walks nearby.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Lake and not too near the lift!
Green Features: I am a keen environmentalist and so was pleased to see that the Hotel had made a good effort to do their bit.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear HAEJJAP,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Golden Arrow. I am very happy that you enjoyed your room and the lovely view of the lake and Mountains. We are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful spot. We have renovated many rooms (most importantly, the bathrooms) and are always working on more when we can find the time. Hopefully we will soon be rid of the unusual colored bathrooms, but as we are a very busy hotel it is a slow process.

Overall it sounds like you had a very nice trip to Lake Placid and I’m very glad. I hope you will visit us again, until then, I wish you safe and happy travels.

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Hebrew first
Finger Lakes, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked this at the last minute so all they had left was a suite at $325 a night. We arrived early and were told they would get the room ready for us right away and they would call on my cell when the room was ready. We walked around for several hours..the call never came. We went back to the hotel at 4 and was told the room still was not ready and it would be another 40 minutes. After 50 minutes, we were told still not ready and it would be another 20 minutes. When we finally checked into our very expensive suite at 5:30, it smelled so strongly of PINE SOL! You would think that a hotel would take special care of guests of their very expensive suites. Instead, check in is at 3:00 for all the cheaper rooms and the suites, check in is at 4:00...so you get less time in a more expensive room. The room was just okay. The view from the balcony almost made up for the bad experience we had in checking in. Well, until we went to dinner at their restaurant. Every place else in town had a 1 to 2 hour wait. At Generations, we walked right in and there were empty tables everywhere. The food was passable but bland...no seasoning with the shrimp scampi or the steak and shrimp my husband got. Then our waiter never came to check on us again after he took our order. Someone else brought the food. After we finished, we sat there for 20 minutes and no one even looked our way or offered to bus the table. We could see our waiter Matt helping other diners outside on the deck but he never came back. We finally got up and went searching for the hostess so we could at least pay for our meal. It was insane. They gave us comp breakfast tickets for making us wait for hours to check into our room. But the food and the service was so poor at dinner, we skipped the free breakfast and went instead to The Breakfast Club restaurant and had a fantastic experience. The management of the Golden Arrow really needs to step it up in customer service if they want repeat business.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank girlwithamapjmp
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear judymcadoo,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow, I appreciate your feedback. I apologize that your room was not ready on time, recently we've lost most of our summer seasonal staff and although we are training new housekeepers, they cannot yet clean rooms themselves. The Larger suites take longer to clean and that is why they have the 4 pm check in time. I realize that this is no excuse and we should have had this under control. I am very sorry that you could not enjoy your complimentary breakfast.

I am also extremely sorry for the lack of service you experienced at our restaurant. We are taking action in this area and have implemented and are still implementing some different training and supervising positions there in the past week. We believe strongly that it will help eliminate instances like the one you named from happening.

I do hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. We take customer service very seriously here, I know that we could prove it if you stayed again. Again, I thank you for your feedback.

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Lake Placid. My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort for 3 nights over the September long weekend. We were very happy with the location of the hotel and found it convenient for exploring the area. The hotel staff, ranging from the front desk reception to housekeeping, were very friendly and accommodating. We really enjoyed the private beach and having access to the free rental equipment on the water.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are worth the view!
Green Features: This hotel is very committed to its eco-friendly practices and does a good job at maintaining that reputation.
1 Thank Christine S
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear soonshine,

I’m glad you chose to stay at the Golden Arrow for your first visit to Lake Placid! I hope you will return to LP and stay with us again. Thank you for complementing our hotel staff, they work very hard and it’s always nice when they’re recognized. It’s great that you were able to enjoy our beach and boats on Mirror Lake. You should also try a visit in the winter; it’s very different, but still very beautiful. There are dog sled rides on frozen Mirror Lake and we have a skating rink.

Thank you for your review. I hope to see you back soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had breakfast here when visiting Lake Placid last month. The staff were wonderful, and myself, my daughter, and my 7 year old Great Grandson, and almost 3 year old Great Granddaughter were treated royally. The food was excellent. I had the Buttermilk Pancakes,which were home made and mile high, with an aluminum pot of syrup, and butter plus sausages. My daughter had the Special egg breakfast and it was done to perfection. My Great grandson had the eggs and bacon & toast, and had no complaints and the little one had the fruits. The waitresses, and any of the other staff were very friendly, and the food was very reasonably priced. Will definitely go back if we return to Lake Placid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear marilynr_brown,

Thank you for your review! I’m not sure from your review if you stayed at the Golden Arrow or only just ate at Generations Restaurant. Either way, I’m very glad you and your whole family were able to enjoy their breakfast! Our Head Chef, Dave Hunt, prides himself on serving food sourced from local farms whenever he can, you can really tell by how fresh everything on his menu tastes! We serve Real New York State Maple Syrup as well, which really makes a difference.

I’m very glad you enjoyed your breakfast at Generations and I hope you will stay with us next time you visit Lake Placid!

Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The front desk staff were most accomodating. We requested a lakeside view, and the clerk was very helpful. The following day, we asked for a room for next week, and again, the Manager, Cindy was willing to provide a one night stay , even though there was a two night minimum for next week. We really, really appreciated this and it makes me consider having a family reunion at the resort. I love that they did not charge for the recreational equipment (kayaks and canoes).
A nice beach on Mirror Lake

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a Lakeside. The third floor (which is the walk in level) provides a lovely view...
Green Features: The hotel takes an exceptional interest in environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Switfish,

Thank you for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad our friendly staff was able to help you while you were here. Cindy is a wonderful Front Desk Manager who has worked for the Golden Arrow for many years, we are lucky to have her. I hope that you will choose the Golden Arrow as the location for your Family Reunion. As a family owned and operated resort, we love seeing families make memories here! Contact our Group Sales Manager, Brandon, at Brandon@golden-arrow.com if you are interested.

I hope to see you and your family soon!

My Best,
Mexico, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here last year with friends and we had such a good time that we decided to book again this year and this year was better than last year. We requested and were granted an upgrade from a deluxe lakefront to a lakefront suite for a mere $23 extra per night. The suite was on the 5th floor with a balcony overlooking Mirror Lake. It had a fireplace (light-and-go logs included) and a Jacuzzi tub as well as a fridge, microwave, and Keurig coffee maker w/cups. We took advantage of the indoor pool, hot tubs, sauna and steam room. There are canoes and paddleboats available for guest usage at no additional charge. Everything from the staff to the accommodations was first class all the way (special kudos to Gidget, our housekeeper). There is an attached restaurant (Generations) and although we did not eat dinner there, the breakfast was outstanding. There was a buffet ($9.99) but 3 out of 4 of us opted for the eggs Benedict ($9). The buffet has all the usual items, fresh and well prepared and the presentation was well done. The eggs Benedict were superb.
We recommend this resort unreservedly and before we left we booked again for next year.

Room Tip: The guest rooms on the ground floor lakeside have a small patio w/Adirondack chairs and picnic table...
Green Features: This resort is eco-friendly. They have installed solar panels to heat their pool as well as assist in other energy needs.
Dear Traveler69,

Thank you very much for your great review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay enough to re-book for next year! It sounds like you were able to take advantage of all the amenities at the resort. It’s also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your delicious breakfast at our restaurant, Generations. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your review. Thank you for your loyalty to the Golden Arrow.

I wish you safe and happy travels until we see you at the Golden Arrow again!

Allentown, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Golden Arrow has a wonderful location on Mirror Lake............the view from its lakeside rooms is incredible! The hotel is also located within easy walking distance of restaurants and shopping, so if you are planning to explore this quaint town, there is no need to ever use your car.

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. For the first two evenings, our lakeview room was located on the 4th floor of the North Wing. We had a wonderful view of the lake and truly enjoyed our time of sitting on our balcony, taking in all the sights. Unfortunately, our room was directly across from the elevator. By the end of the second night, we couldn't stand the noise of the elevator coming and going, so we asked for our room to be changed. This change was done without a question by Brooke and we were re-located to the 4th floor of the South Wing.

To us, it looks like the rooms in the South Wing were recently rennovated. Although our room in the North Wing was not "bad", we definitely preferred the room..........and the hallway.........in the South Wing. The hallways in the North Wing are very narrow, so between the cleaning staff and other visitors walking in the hallway, we often had to wait until someone walked past us so that we could proceed. So we would HIGHLY recommend requesting a LAKEVIEW room in the South Wing if you decide to visit Golden Arrow. Spend the extra dollars for the lakeview room......it is definitely worth the cost!

We did have an issue with housekeeping the first day that we were there. We had left the sign for room cleanup on our doorknob and then left for the day. We returned over 6 hours later, only to find that our room had still not been cleaned. I must admit, however, that we received immediate service after we voiced our complaint..........AND the next morning the cleaning staff was waiting to clean our room before we even left it!

Throughout our stay, we called the front desk several times..........for wine glasses, etc. and we received immediate service. Kudos to the staff members of Golden Arrow..........they seem to be extremely concerned about customer satisfation!

Room Tip: Avoid a room by the elevators...........we suggest a lakeview room in the South Wing for the best ex...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear LivinglifeinPA,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand and apologize for your displeasure with your location near the elevator. Unfortunately there is need for those rooms so there isn't much that can be done about them; it’s good to hear that you were able to move rooms without any added trouble.

We are working on upgrading all of our rooms, some in the South Wing and some in the North Wing have been upgraded. Hopefully next time you visit us more rooms will be updated.

As far as the housekeeping complaint, we are continuing to work out this issue. Our
Housekeeping Supervisor and her team are constantly working on new tactics to get rooms clean more efficiently.

Thank you for kind complement to our hardworking staff. They are constantly striving to put customer service first and it’s always nice to be recognized.

We look forward to having you at the Golden Arrow again soon! Until then, we wish you safe and happy travels!