“Redone and well done”

GreenLeadersGold level
Upstate NY
“Redone and well done”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Although we stay here almost every Labor Day Weekend with neighbors, this year we added friends for a special occasion. The group sales manager was fabulous to work with and organized our seven rooms so that we could socialize easily. We had missed last year, and noticed that the rooms had been upgraded, as had the lobby and the beach area. The desk staff was friendly and professional. As many have said, you cannot beat the location, nor the view! They also work very hard to be environmentally friendly, which makes a difference to us. We spent some amount of time as a large group in the little hotel bar, Straight Shot, and would recommend a drink there if you want to talk and have a good cocktail. We only had lunch at their restaurant, Generations, and found a nice selection of sandwiches. The only minus was that the fitness center was closed for renovations, but we have high hopes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
UpstateNY13,

I’m very glad your Group was able to celebrate a special occasion at the Golden Arrow. Thank you for noticing our Upgrades and renovations. We are always improving and updating the hotel. I do apologize that the fitness center was closed during your stay. It will be finished soon and I know you will not be disappointed with the results; it’s going to be very beautiful and have many environmentally friendly features.

Thank you very much for your review and for staying with us year after year. I look forward to the years to come!

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Hebrew first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent two nights here after pouring over tripadvisor for the right place for us! My husband and I were traveling with our 18-month old, as well as with another couple. We all loved this resort! Right downtown so steps to restaurants and shops. The private beach was our favourite part. Equipped with lots of different types of boats to use, beach chairs, towels, and even children's toys. Even the sand was great - it is not "real" sand so it easily brushes off rather than getting stuck to everyone and everything. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The only thing that I can even think of to "complain" about, is that the plug in our bathtub was broken so I couldn't fill the bath for my son. It was so minor I didn't mention it to staff, though I suspect if I had they would have had it fixed right away.

We will unquestionably be back again soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in a lakeview room which has a balcony overlooking the lake - definitely worth any extra c...
Green Features: Golden Arrow had many different areas of practicing "environmental friendliness". Far above and beyond most hotels.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Juls082,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your time with us. We love hearing feedback from our guests. We would have most definitely taken care of your bathtub’s drain had we known it was broken, I’m sure a housekeeper noticed after your stay so hopefully next time you stay there will be no such problem.
The sand on our beach is actually crushed limestone which helps counteract the effects of acid rain in Mirror Lake; it’s one of our many ‘green’ practices.

We look forward to having you again soon!! Until then, I wish you safe and happy travels.

Boston, MA
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We just returned from a trip to upper New York State and fortunately were able to spend a night at the Golden Arrow Resort. We had stayed there before and loved it so we went out of our way to try to spend at least one night there. I'm glad we did.

We've always enjoyed staying at the Golden Arrow and try to get there at least once a year. We couldn't get there last year and we were lucky we were able to get a reservation.  When we arrived we were greeted warmly at the front desk and - unbelievably - they remembered us!!

Our welcome and our room was wonderful!  The view from both sides of the resort is great - one side is mountains and the other side is the lake.

I learned from the other reviews that the resort has an indoor pool. I never knew that. We always try to spend as much time out on the lake, kayaking, canoeing, and even paddle boating just like kids. Next year I want to try the stand-up paddle board. It's all right there for guests to use. When we get tired of the water we walk around the lake and then come back for more canoeing!

The Golden Arrow is family run and it's clear they want to provide an enjoyable stay for their guests. They really succeed at doing that.

Room Tip: The front desk is very helpful. We've never had a bad room there.
Green Features: The hotel is very conscious of the environment. They recycle, they have solar panels and 'green' roof areas, and they provide quality natural toiletries. Their associated restaurant has events in which they showcase local produce, meats and cheeses.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
StellaDallas,

Thank you for returning to the Golden Arrow for your stay in Lake Placid. We always try to remember our repeat guests, as it makes us so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay enough to return. We are honored to be a part of your yearly tradition. It’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our canoes, kayaks, and paddle boats on Mirror Lake.

We look forward to seeing you next year, thank you very much for your ‘golden’ review.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels in Lake Placid for the price. Walking distance to everything in town and the hotel is right on the lake. A lake front room is a must to really enjoy the beauty. Everyone was very pleasant and the hotel has a lot of amenities. Nice indoor pool, hotel restaurant and gym. The beds are very comfortable and the room was clean. Parking is a little tight but this is really a great place ... I can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank C C
Dear C C,

Thank very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed our beautiful lake views and amenities. It’s great to hear that you will be returning to the Golden Arrow! Until we see you again, I wish you safe and happy travels!

Great Notley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Only had 3 nights here, and wished we'd had longer. I was travelling with family (wife & 2 young boys 8 & 6). Checked in all ok, room was ready and was on older side over-looking the lake, the views here are truly amazing, with the Mountains backdrop I could stare at for hours sipping on beers from the balcony.

The rooms themselves (No 215- 2nd floor) needs some upgrading, the bath/shower enclosure is brown, pretty old me thinks, and the decor needs some sprucing up, but I think the hotel is working on these gradually as other rooms looked more modern. Once your sitting there on that balcony the fact you've got a chocolate coloured shower as my boys called it kind of pale into insignificance. Tea/coffee making facilities in room was good and much needed for us British tourists.

The staff/family run are all very helpful, and you get a real sense of being made welcome here. The small beach/ lakefront is great, they have about 20-30 sun beds, only negative is that people get up at the crack of dawn and reserve these by sticking towels on them, still after day 1 if you can't beat them join them. I went down to the lake at 8am ish and reserved 2 beds for me and my wife, kids shared with us as didn't want to be greedy, but did justify this by taking a dip in the lake, bit nippy but so fresh to swim in, my boys had so much fun on the free boats, canoes, paddle boards etc, they spent hours on them, memories which will stay with me forever, we loved this place.

We did about a 3 week trip, and stayed at 6 hotels, and although this wasn't the most modern or the most luxurious hotel, everytime I think back over my trip I think of this place, so they must be doing something right. Sitting on that balcony just admiring the lake and the mountains, it is magical part of this lovely region Adirondacks, make sure you take this in and appreciate that view.

Location is great too, right on Main Street, with lots of shops & restaurants on your door step.

One suggestion for the hotel would be to have a weekly BBQ on the beach, it was such a nice beach area, it was a shame there were no nightly activities on it, if they did a BBQ for residents, maybe small campfire for smores it would be amazing...

Indoor swimming pool/spa was very good also, kids loved that too, hot tub was great and nice to have indoor option when the rain hit.

One negative was the House-keeping, bit slack, as most days we returned from the lake around 4pm and the room had still not been cleaned, and we wanted to take a nap for the boys, so this is something the Hotel need to focus on getting the rooms cleaned earlier in the day, this happened on 2 out of the days, I sensed they did not have enough House keepers to clean the rooms, which needs addressing in peak times.

This is definately on my list for a return over the next 2-3 years.

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded rooms in the newer part of hotel, lost of suites to book from but all are dated, bu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear NeilChambers2013,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It’s great to know that you and your family made lasting memories at the Golden Arrow, and that you felt welcomed here. We are definitely lucky to be located in such an amazing part of the Adirondacks.

As far as the Housekeeping issues you mentioned, our team here has addressed this situation as it seemed to be a recurring issue this summer, and came up with a solution that seems to be working well so far! I’m sure the next time you visit us this will not be an issue and more of our rooms will be updated.

Again, thank you for review. We look forward to having you back in 2 to 3 years!

Ogdensburg, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Nice hotel in the heart of everything! Had a comfortable lakeside room. Was great to watch the sunrise over the Adirondack Mountains and Mirror Lake. They staff is friendly and welcoming. The hotel has a lot of amenities that make your stay a great one. Keurig coffee makers in the room and all the mattress are new. The hotel is walking distance to lots of restaurants and unique shopping. The hotel restaurant is very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Icshea,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Golden Arrow! It’s great that you enjoyed your lakeside room, as well as our friendly staff and amenities. I hope you will stay with us again soon!!

Schenectady, NY
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just returned from a family vacation to Golden Arrow. It was very nice. The rooms were a little small and the ceilings were lower than expected but our room had two queensized beds that were actually comfortable. We also ordered a roll away cot to keep our kids separated so they would fight less. It was $20 a night additional for the cot and I thought that was expensive. The hotel was large than expected so we sometimes got a little lost but after a few days we were fine. The kayaks and canoes were free for guests. The really neat part was their emphasis on being green. There were many opportunities to recycle paper and plastic and it really encouraged by kids to recycle. The green roof and solar panels showed us that they were series about recycling. Loved the vacation. We plan to return. We used a Groupon for our trip.

Room Tip: request a lake side room if possible.
Green Features: very very environmentally friendly. gifts to guests who drive a hybrid to the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Family_of_roone,

I am glad you and your family enjoyed your vacation to Lake Placid and the Golden Arrow. It’s very exciting to hear that your kids were able to benefit from the recycling program here. We try not to preach our green practices to our guests to heavily while they are here, but it’s always wonderful to hear that a guest appreciates it!

I definitely hope you will return to Lake Placid again! We usually do another Groupon deal in the spring so keep an eye out for that! Thank you for your review.