“It was okay, but not what the reviews led us to believe...”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Palo Alto, California
“It was okay, but not what the reviews led us to believe...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

We booked just a few days before Christmas, which we realize is not an ideal time to look for a great bargain. We checked in Christmas eve and stayed 3 nights. The rate was not cheap ($175), and based on the other reviews we were expecting something nice. I'd been to Lake Placid before and knew this hotel had a great location right on the main shopping street and looked nice from outside. (Alpine style)

But our first choice was the Crowne Plaza, a new resort conference hotel up a steep driveway off main street almost across from this one. The public areas are great there, and feels first class. I haven't seen the rooms. Crown Plaza's rates were the same for the first two nights, but then they jumped to almost $300 on the last night, Dec. 26th, so it was out. And we checked rates on two other swank joints, Mirror Lakes (over $400) and another one, I forget which but also way up there. The Hilton was full. I wanted to be on main street so that if my husband or I took the car, the one behind could stroll and find things to do. We didn't want to spend so much, since we'd only be sleeping there, so Golden Arrow was the winner.

We checked in about 6pm Christmas Eve, not a terribly auspicious time we realize, and the nice newly-renovated lobby was almost empty and the desk person was a bit curt - probably grumpy having to work Christmas Eve. Got to our room on the 4th floor (#428) and it had some kind of bad odor - stale or stinky. Liveable, but almost worth considering changing rooms. The hotel was full up, so no thought of changing rooms. The heat/AC/ventilation is that kind of old-style radiator/wall fixture with the big dial and direct vent outdoors that you find in the older cheap hotels. While we were expecting something slightly upscale-looking, or even on par with the newer low-end chains like Hampton Inn, this immediately gave the impression of an out-of-date very mediocre room. We were immediately let down. Later, as we were checking out, we decided that the impression was largely cosmetic. The beds that appeared swaybacked and old were actually comfortable and just had spreads that were an '80's style fabric, and the drapes, wallpaper, carpet, tile floor in the bathroom... nothing matched, and nothing really looked up-to-date, mostly because of the mismatch. Individually, the pieces weren't too bad, but together it all gave the impression of being old (even if some if it wasn't). A lamp bulb was out, the tile grout on the floor was dirty... you know how it is, just a few little things during your first impression create an overall negative view.

During our whole stay, we didn't find the desk help to be friendly at all, and that was disappointing. Perhaps it was due to being over the actual Christmas holiday and they were on their third-stringers, so I give it the benefit of the doubt. But still, hospitality is hospitality. We actually tried to get one woman to cheer up by asking her if something was wrong, and she said "I'm here all alone with these phones!" Maybe someone didn't show up, or maybe no one else was scheduled. We felt bad for her, but bad for us too - no smiles. Just bad timing for us to have warm fuzzies.

On the plus side, the hotel began to slowly redeem itself as we got over the disappointment of how the room appeared, and began to appreciate the amazing lake/mountain view, the underground parking (a major asset in a snowy winter), the room conveniences such as refrigerator and large tub (for a tall spouse), and free wireless Internet in the room.

If I hadn't read so many favorable reviews, and instead had been expecting a standard semi-dumpy ski hotel sort of room with keep-to-themselves staff, I would have raved about this place too. They seem to offer a lot of extras, especially in the summer, such as free kayaks.

Since I haven't stayed in other hotels in Lake Placid at Christmas time, I can't really compare the value to others. As we left, we decided the hotel really wasn't that bad, but it was the room rate that set our expectations higher. If it had been $130 or so, we would have felt that was right on target. But, most likely all hotel rates were was jacked up Christmas week, and maybe we don't appreciate the value of the extras offered by this hotel enough. We enjoyed breakfasts at Charlie's next door (also owned by the hotel), which was just renovated in 2006 and is very nice modern wood decor and great breakfasts for $6-$10. Check out the beautiful stone bathrooms in Charlie's ... now THAT's what I'd pay big bucks for in my hotel room!

• Liked — Location, view, covered parking, wireless internet
  • Disliked — Rooms seemed dumpy for the price, desk staff never smiled/was curt each time
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank happytomeetyou
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2008
I would like to thank you for being so understanding and giving us the benefit of the doubt in your review. First I would like to apologize for my staff's negative attitude. Honestly I am surprised to read that since I am told over and over again that our staff bends over backwards to make our guests happy. It is true that we had someone call in sick on Christmas morning, but that does not excuse surliness. What we expect, and hopefully provide the majority of the time, is smiling faces and open minded listening on the part of our staff. We do realize though that we are all human, and sometimes we have bad days. I am sorry that that was what you experienced.

As to the guest rooms and the A/C & Heating units, we are constantly upgrading the hotel as things come in and out of fashion so quickly. I was not able to tell which room you stayed in as you did not use your real name. I would sincerely appreciate it if you could email me at info@golden-arrow.com to let me know so I can look over that room myself and see what needs to be replaced.

Those heating and A/C units are some of the most energy efficient on the market. We are proud to be the most eco-friendly hotel in the region and evaluate the cost on the environment as one of our top priorities when making any decision. That is why we continue to use those units.

If you visit Lake Placid again and decide to give us another try, please book with me directly so I can make sure your stay is all it should be. You can reach me at (800) 582-5540. I hope to hear from you.

Jennifer
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Hebrew first
vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

The Golden Arrow is FABULOUS!!! I highly recommend it!
We were staying at another hotel across the street and hated it...we found the Golden Arrow in the phone book and I am so glad we decided to move.
The room was beautiful (very clean) and we had an awesome view of the lake! If we threw a stone from our balcony we would have hit the water....just great!
We both work in the hotel industry and we were blown away by the quality of the Golden Arrow. And the price was great too!
We both can't say enough nice things about this hotel....they turned our bad vacation into wonderful memories!

• Liked — The huge king bed and wonderful view of the lake!
  • Disliked — That I didn't find it sooner :)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Western New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2007

ok - so my review is now 2 Stars...

we received an email from the Marketing Director who heard of our situation about a half hour after we cheked out. She was apologetic and professional and offered us a savings on our next visit.

While the damage had already been done, she did try to make this right. So for that, I do commend them but they still need a lot of work ...

MM

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank MikieMike
Wayne, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2007

Stayed recently in the Panther Suite and it was a very nice place. Large rooms, each with a balcony. The fireplace and rocking chairs add a homey touch. Houskeeping kept the place imaculate. I can be a real nit-picker, but I really can't thing of one thing to complain about. Beautiful views of the lake, so you feel like you're way out in the country. Then you walk out the front door and you're in the best part of town. I'll stay again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

Located on the shores of Mirror Lake & right on Main Street, the Golden Arrow is perfectly situated. It is an easy walk to shops, restaurants, and did I mention it's right on the Lake?
The hotel's lobby has an enormous window overlooking Mirror Lake (I've included some photos) and has tons of amenities for all ages - night club, game room, hot tub & pool, etc. The attached restaurant, Charlie's, is extremely convenient as well.
There were a few minor inconveniences that kept this from being a five star review, however. During my stay, there was construction on an additional wing. It woke me up every morning at 8am, so if you enjoy sleeping in while you're on vacation, request a room in the North Wing. The first morning I was there, I asked the front desk if the construction workers always began so early and was told that they weren't suppose to be starting until 9am (even though they did begin at 8am every day I was there). Also, while the hotel advertises WiFi in all the South Wing rooms, I could not get a signal. When I informed the front desk of this fact, I was told that the hotel is still working on getting more wireless towers mounted, and was offered many other areas in the hotel where I could access the internet. It turned out that I did enjoy surfing the net in the lobby in front of the crackling fireplace - but, the hotel should not advertise WiFi in all South Wing rooms if they know that it's not yet true.
With both of these inconveniences just mentioned, why didn't I ask for a new room? I had just unpacked everything when I found out that I didn't have WiFi and I didn’t discover the construction noise until the next morning. It would have been a huge pain to repack just to move down the hall for what were really only minor issues.
Still, the staff was very friendly and in spite of the minor problems, I did enjoy my stay and would return (next time, I will check the wireless signal before I unpack, though).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No WiFi
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Bette P
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2007
Thank you so much for your thoughts and nice coments. I am so sorry you were disturbed by the construction noise. The crews know they are not supposed to begin working until after nine, and although we tell them repeatedly, we have found them to be hard of hearing. I can only sincerely apologize and assure you that the construction will not last much longer, and that the new rooms that we are building will be a wonderful compliment to our already extensive array of Suites & Specialty Rooms. In addition to honeymoon suites with fireplaces, lakeviews, whirlpool tubs in the main chamber and full body spray showers, we will also be adding a few Kitchenette Suites, one of which will be handicapped accessible, complete with a roll-in shower.

As to your issue with the Wi-Fi, I am not sure what happened there. We do have 100% Wi-Fi access in the South Wing. In fact we recently made the North Wing completely Wi-Fi as well. (That is the work we were doing during your stay). I can only imagine that construction somehow disrupted the signal. Again I apologize and beg your patience while we make these improvements to our property.

I do hope you decide to visit us again. If you do please contact me directly at (800) 582-5540 so I can make sure your get to sleep in and that your stay is all it should be.
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights on the way home from Montreal. Wish we had spent the entire vacation here. Hotel is very nice, rooms are spacious and very clean. We had a 2nd floor room with a lake view, absolutley beautifull. Staff is very friendly . Everything is right at your fingertips, never used our car once. Cant wait to return.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank ss58
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

The hotel is in a great area near the shops of Lake Placid. The room was clean and had a nice view of Mirror Lake. The free kayaks, rowboats, and paddle boats were a lot of fun. I was disappointed that the morning we checked out (9/3/2007) the indoor pool and hot tub closed through the end of October for repairs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool and Hot Tub Closed on Labor Day for Repairs - Couldn't they have waited until after the holiday weekend was over?
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2007
In an effort to upgrade our property & continue with our efforts to run an earth friendly business, we have made the decision to refurbish our pool. The pool has been silently leaking water for some time now & the decking was beginning to look a bit worn.

Our top priorities are to build a water & energy efficient system that maintains a constant, comfortable temperature; replace the decking with something safe & non slip; & finally to add a little pizzazz to the pool by incorporating some decorative elements (the kids will love it!).

For those who have not been with us in the last few months, we have also recently added a new “adult only” hot tub. It is large enough to fit twelve people. This is in addition to the one that we already had in the pool.

After the crazy rush of summer, Fall is a good time to tackle large projects like this. We hope to have it completed long before the first snowflakes fall.

We do understand that the pool is a very important amenity to have while you are on vacation. Since we are a year round resort, there is no time to close the pool where no one will be affected. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but feel it is a necessary project that needs to be completed as soon as possible for the good of the resort as well as the environment.

I hope you return to us someday soon and are able to experience the new poo. We are very excited about it and hope to have it open in the next few weeks.