“Saved our vacation!!!”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 5, 2007

The Golden Arrow is FABULOUS!!! I highly recommend it!
We were staying at another hotel across the street and hated it...we found the Golden Arrow in the phone book and I am so glad we decided to move.
The room was beautiful (very clean) and we had an awesome view of the lake! If we threw a stone from our balcony we would have hit the water....just great!
We both work in the hotel industry and we were blown away by the quality of the Golden Arrow. And the price was great too!
We both can't say enough nice things about this hotel....they turned our bad vacation into wonderful memories!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Reviewed November 27, 2007

ok - so my review is now 2 Stars...

we received an email from the Marketing Director who heard of our situation about a half hour after we cheked out. She was apologetic and professional and offered us a savings on our next visit.

While the damage had already been done, she did try to make this right. So for that, I do commend them but they still need a lot of work ...

MM

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank MikieMike
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Stayed recently in the Panther Suite and it was a very nice place. Large rooms, each with a balcony. The fireplace and rocking chairs add a homey touch. Houskeeping kept the place imaculate. I can be a real nit-picker, but I really can't thing of one thing to complain about. Beautiful views of the lake, so you feel like you're way out in the country. Then you walk out the front door and you're in the best part of town. I'll stay again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2007

Located on the shores of Mirror Lake & right on Main Street, the Golden Arrow is perfectly situated. It is an easy walk to shops, restaurants, and did I mention it's right on the Lake?
The hotel's lobby has an enormous window overlooking Mirror Lake (I've included some photos) and has tons of amenities for all ages - night club, game room, hot tub & pool, etc. The attached restaurant, Charlie's, is extremely convenient as well.
There were a few minor inconveniences that kept this from being a five star review, however. During my stay, there was construction on an additional wing. It woke me up every morning at 8am, so if you enjoy sleeping in while you're on vacation, request a room in the North Wing. The first morning I was there, I asked the front desk if the construction workers always began so early and was told that they weren't suppose to be starting until 9am (even though they did begin at 8am every day I was there). Also, while the hotel advertises WiFi in all the South Wing rooms, I could not get a signal. When I informed the front desk of this fact, I was told that the hotel is still working on getting more wireless towers mounted, and was offered many other areas in the hotel where I could access the internet. It turned out that I did enjoy surfing the net in the lobby in front of the crackling fireplace - but, the hotel should not advertise WiFi in all South Wing rooms if they know that it's not yet true.
With both of these inconveniences just mentioned, why didn't I ask for a new room? I had just unpacked everything when I found out that I didn't have WiFi and I didn’t discover the construction noise until the next morning. It would have been a huge pain to repack just to move down the hall for what were really only minor issues.
Still, the staff was very friendly and in spite of the minor problems, I did enjoy my stay and would return (next time, I will check the wireless signal before I unpack, though).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Bette P
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2007

Thank you so much for your thoughts and nice coments. I am so sorry you were disturbed by the construction noise. The crews know they are not supposed to begin working until after nine, and although we tell them repeatedly, we have found them to be hard of hearing. I can only sincerely apologize and assure you that the construction will not last much longer, and that the new rooms that we are building will be a wonderful compliment to our already extensive array of Suites & Specialty Rooms. In addition to honeymoon suites with fireplaces, lakeviews, whirlpool tubs in the main chamber and full body spray showers, we will also be adding a few Kitchenette Suites, one of which will be handicapped accessible, complete with a roll-in shower.

As to your issue with the Wi-Fi, I am not sure what happened there. We do have 100% Wi-Fi access in the South Wing. In fact we recently made the North Wing completely Wi-Fi as well. (That is the work we were doing during your stay). I can only imagine that construction somehow disrupted the signal. Again I apologize and beg your patience while we make these improvements to our property.

I do hope you decide to visit us again. If you do please contact me directly at (800) 582-5540 so I can make sure your get to sleep in and that your stay is all it should be.

Reviewed September 30, 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights on the way home from Montreal. Wish we had spent the entire vacation here. Hotel is very nice, rooms are spacious and very clean. We had a 2nd floor room with a lake view, absolutley beautifull. Staff is very friendly . Everything is right at your fingertips, never used our car once. Cant wait to return.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank ss58
Reviewed September 12, 2007

The hotel is in a great area near the shops of Lake Placid. The room was clean and had a nice view of Mirror Lake. The free kayaks, rowboats, and paddle boats were a lot of fun. I was disappointed that the morning we checked out (9/3/2007) the indoor pool and hot tub closed through the end of October for repairs.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2007

In an effort to upgrade our property & continue with our efforts to run an earth friendly business, we have made the decision to refurbish our pool. The pool has been silently leaking water for some time now & the decking was beginning to look a bit worn.

Our top priorities are to build a water & energy efficient system that maintains a constant, comfortable temperature; replace the decking with something safe & non slip; & finally to add a little pizzazz to the pool by incorporating some decorative elements (the kids will love it!).

For those who have not been with us in the last few months, we have also recently added a new “adult only” hot tub. It is large enough to fit twelve people. This is in addition to the one that we already had in the pool.

After the crazy rush of summer, Fall is a good time to tackle large projects like this. We hope to have it completed long before the first snowflakes fall.

We do understand that the pool is a very important amenity to have while you are on vacation. Since we are a year round resort, there is no time to close the pool where no one will be affected. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but feel it is a necessary project that needs to be completed as soon as possible for the good of the resort as well as the environment.

I hope you return to us someday soon and are able to experience the new poo. We are very excited about it and hope to have it open in the next few weeks.

Reviewed September 2, 2007

We just returned from three nights at the Golden Arrow over Labor Day weekend. This resort was the perfect place for our family to spend the last official weekend of summer. Step out the back door and you have pristine Mirror Lake. Out the front door, and you are in the middle of great Lake Placid shopping and dining. We were in room 104, which was one of the allergen free rooms and opened out on to the grass in front of the lake. We certainly appreciated the efforts to maintain an allergen free environment. While the furnishings are a tad outdated, the room was quite comfy -- in fact, my daughter said that the bed was the most comfortable she's ever slept in! The sheets were nice and soft, not scratchy at all, and the pillows were fluffy. We really enjoyed the sandy beach, fishing on the dock, and taking the canoe out for a ride. Our girls say they wish they could live at the Golden Arrow! While that may not be possible, we will definitely return. In fact we met several families who come back every year. The resort appears to be doing a lot of work to update different areas including the pool and, it appears, a new addition on one side. (Though we weren't aware of construction going on around us -- we were on the other side of the resort). We just hope they don't raise the prices once they've finished updating, as right now it is a great value for families. We also ate at Charlie's, the hotel restaurant. While it was extremely family friendly, the food was excellent and for once, we didn't feel like we compromised on atmosphere or quality of food for the sake of a family friendly place to dine. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, and will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family