“We love Golden Arrow!”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“We love Golden Arrow!”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

This was our first trip to Lake Placid and we both agreed this is our new vacation spot. The Golden Arrow was fantastic. We loved the staff there from the cleaning staff to the reception and administrative staff. Everyone was warm and just salt of the earth people. The resort was clean and while it has a semi dated feel in the lobby I do believe that is part of it's charm. It had the feel of a old chalet we used to go to up in the Catskills when we were kids. The room we had was however not dated which was lovely.

If you are travelling with a dog (a well-trained dog) this is the place for you. This is truly a pet friendly resort and town.

This is a good place for friendly people and families to spend vacation! I already booked mine for next year and can't wait.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2011

We booked a ski vacation through Tours de Sport. Got an excellent price, a very nice room facing the lake. Everything was good, we stayed Monday to Saturday. The reception staff was always smiling, polite and helpful.
On Friday afternoon, we found the hotel full of kids, parents and coaches, doors open, noisy parties, food trays on the corridor, etc, exactly what another reviewer described. The noise extended well into the evening hours, doors were slammed and people were yelling until 1 a.m.
I understand that the hotel needs the business, but we brought business to them too. I think the hotel management should notify those large hockey parties that they don't own the hotel even if they booked a large block of rooms. The other travelers deserve respect too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sealover_7
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice time and found the staff friendly and helpful. I am so sorry you were disturbed by other guests of the resort. Please know we do put forth a valiant effort to keep everyone happy and to remind guests to be aware of each other while at the resort. I am not certain if you noticed the signs all over the resort reminding guests (the hockey teams specifically) about the 10PM curfew and to be polite to other people visiting the hotel. We have the teams sign a list of rules when they arrive and we have security on Thursday through Sunday in an effort to keep the noise down. Sometimes everyone is very courteous and adhere by the rules and curfews, sometimes not. We do make a huge effort to keep everyone happy and it is our intention to respond to any guest complaints (noise or otherwise) immediately. Most of the time, every things works out well. Sometimes guests are more on the rowdy side and we have a larger challenge ahead of us. We do always try our best to create a relaxing environment for everyone.
Albany, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2011

My husband and I needed some "us" time alone. He choose this hotel over all others. First, when we checked in at 3 pm our room from a pre-booked 7 day in advance reservation was not yet ready. HMMM - the hotel was like totally booked with the majority of the people staying from Fri through Sun and they did not clean the changing reservation rooms first - a clue right there - not taking care of business. So then I guess they did a rush job and I found pepperoni, chips and cookies at various spots on the rug when i walked on them since the lighting was not very bright. OK now for the best part - the hotel was full up to capacity with a youth hockey tournament. WALL TO WALL KIDS EVERYWHERE.!!! We could even get into eat dinner or breakfast in the hotel because of the large family groups using the restaurant. On Saturday night the families had the entire hot tub and pool area taken over. So we decided to go to the bar but could get through the hallways cause their were kids laying 10 deep at a time on the floor and THEY WOULD NOT MOVE OR EVEN GET UP. So we had to climb over them. We went on this overnight to get away from our kids and relax. Obviously that didn't happen and ended up making us more stressed after having dropped over $175.00 for this room. When my husband checked out he asked the front desk clerk "when is a good time to come back when you are not all full of kids" - and she just stared at him. So while investing the time and money for "US" found us wasting a lot of money while gaining more frustrations regarding inconsiderate kids than if we had stayed home and dealt with our own.....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank karjugo
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
I am so sorry you did not have a relaxing time during your stay with us. It is true that in the off season we host hockey tournaments over the weekends. We are grateful to have these tournaments come to Lake Placid. They bring an excitement to the off season that we would not otherwise enjoy. The kids this weekend were very well behaved, although you are correct that there were alot of them. I looked at your account and there was a note there indicating that you had been told when you made your reservation that we had the tournament in house during your stay. I am sorry you found them to be disturbing. We did have security on all weekend and would have been happy to ask them to quiet down or patrolled your hallway more extensively had we known you were so upset.
I can understand how an environment filled with excited kids would not be conducive to a romantic vacation. That is why we do our best to let people who are not with the tournament know in advance what is going on. Some tournaments are smaller and do not dominate the entire resort, but this weekend was a large one which was why we were careful to let people know in advance. Being the mother of a 1 and a 4 year old, I completely understand the need to some alone time away from you kids. I am sorry we were not able to provide the environment you were looking for this past weekend. Had you let me know while you were here I would have done everything in my power to make sure that the weekend was redeemed for you. I have said this time and again in these responses...please do not wait until after you leave to let hotel management know you are upset. Tell us right away. At this point you are too upset for me to be able to make things right (or you would not have written this terrible review of our property). I guarantee that, had you said something right away, our staff would have done their utmost to make sure that you walked away satisfied. That is always our goal.
Baldwinsville, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This was our second time staying at the Golden Arrow. We talked my sister and her family and some friends into going. We were all there mainly to ski and hang out. We all take really nice vacations and stay at really nice resorts. We vacation several times a year. We had a total of nine kids ranging in age from 4 to 17. We all had a ball! The older kids could walk down Main Street to all the shops and restaurants and were safe. My sister commented that she hadn't seen the two seventeen year olds and fourteen year old more than once the whole two days that we were there. I took my four year old nephew on the dog sled which we could see right out our window and was only steps away. We watched the ski jumpers practice and some of us went tubing. Besides skiing (which was amazing) the kids swam in their wonderful renovated pool and played lots of racquetball. It was very busy in Lake Placid (We went during the Christmas holidays) but we had no problem finding restaurants at the last minute to accommodate twelve of us. All within walking distance. The restaurant and the bar that are attached to the hotel were excellent. Great food and great prices.
The rooms we all stayed in were older but had a nice charm. We prefer the excellent location and the wonderful staff over any of the other hotels in the area. I left the biggest tip I have ever left for the housekeeping people. They earned it more than I can ever say.
We look forward to going back to Lake Placid and we would stay at no other place than the Golden Arrow.

• Stayed December 2010
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed at Golden Arrow for 5 nights. Overall experience is o ‘key. I agree with the other reviews that it is a good value versus quality. But our room had terrible smell. It was a mixed smell of cleaning products and an old carpet smell. It was not spotless. There were crumbs under the coffee tray and pieces of a bun on the balcony. Furniture is old; couch and chair in the hall, right next to our room were very old and looked dirty, so I would never sit on it.
If you are a skier and spend the whole day at the Whiteface, but not in your room it is not bad.
Sauna and a pool were nice. Free internet.
We had breakfasts at Genertions restaurant, portions are quite big and good quality, but on the salty side.
Since we liked the Whiteface a lot, we’ll definitely come back, but will try another hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 155019Anna
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
My goodness, if you were so unhappy with the room I really wish you had said something to us! We have 166 rooms at the hotel and I am certain we could have found one more to your liking. Please, please, please in the future where ever you travel, do NOT hesitate to tell the Front Desk that you are unhappy or need something. It is our job to make sure you have a good time. However, we can not make things better if you do not tell us what is wrong.
Adams, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Golden Arrow was very busy while we were there because of a CAN/AM playoff at the Olympic Center but the staff placed us in the new wing of the resort away from all the kids. Room service was great as was the food and the location being right down town was great for walking every place we wanted to go. Will definitely come back again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2011

This place has a nice location, but that is all. The rooms smell like mildew and they are dated. The staff would rather not be bothered about anything. And since when does a hotel have an eight o'clock gum opening? I like to work out at 6 when my kids are sleeping.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sdr138
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
You do not give many specifics in your review except to be pretty negative. I am sorry you did not have a nice time during your stay. I wish you had said something while you were here so we could have done something to turn your experience around for you. The only thing you did mention specifically is that you wished the gym would be opened earlier, and the good news is it certainly can. All you have to do is come down (or call) our Front Desk staff and we would gladly let you in when you wish to go work out. Because, although you seem to think otherwise, our staff does care a great deal and will work very hard to make sure you have a nice time.