“Just OK”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

This was our first stay with the Inn under the new owner. The per night price went up, and it was over $160/night for weekend. The person booking the reservation did honor a discount offer we'd received for being a repeat customer. We stayed for a week.

Much of the room has been updated under the new ownership: new carpeting, new fixtures (with energy-efficient compact flourescent bulbs), and new sink/vanity which had excellent lighting. My one suggestion is that the Inn definitely needs to update the toilet and tub/shower area; while all else looks new, this is the one part of the room in urgent need of an overhaul. There is only so much one can caulk and caulk and caulk around an old fiberglass tub.

My only other critique is with housekeeping. Towels I'd left for replacement were left on the edge of the tub and not exchanged one day, some days it did not appear the room was vacuumed, and the last day the housekeeper left dirty shoe prints in the toilet and tub/shower area. It did not look like this area (floor, toilet or tub) was cleaned at all during our stay. I usually leave a tip at the conclusion of my stay because I appreciate how hard housekeeping staff usually work, but I couldn't bring myself to put anything in the envelope this time.

I did use the pool and hot tub a few times, and always had them to myself. The pool is heated and in fair condition. The decking could use periodic cleaning. The indoor plants seemed well cared for. This indoor area certainly has that retro early 80s flair and could be impressive with some updating.

The breakfast room had comfortable seating and a really cool bar. I easily had access to the computer a few times; there is now one computer there with a printer, which is helpful.

The Inn's location can't be beat. It is across from the skating oval/Olympic Center and you can easily walk downtown for shopping and restaurants.

The manager and front desk people were very friendly and nice.

I think with the recommended improvements, notably a renovation of the toilet/tub/shower area and improvement with housekeeping, the Adirondack Inn could do very well and justify the $160+ per night rate on the weekends.

• Liked — Location, indoor pool
  • Disliked — Housekeeping, toilet/tub/shower area in room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xrwp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

We had a very nice stay here. It is just out of the busy section of town, but just a few minute walk up the street to the strip. The hotel is a little dated, but maintained beautifully, and super clean. The rooms are very spacious, and the hotel is across the street from the Mirror Lake beach. There is a nice, huge dining area with a free breakfast (english muffins, yogurt, cereal, muffins, pound cake, coffee, juice...) There is also a nice game room and "great room" which has games, a big screen tv, a fireplace, and an area that has two computers that are online that you can use for free. There is also wireless internet in the rooms. The staff was not super friendly, but that is not a huge factor for me. The complaints: The building gets HOT and we were not even there on a hot day, and the AC in the room can barely keep up to keep the room cool. Make sure you blast the AC to keep the room cool. The TV's also need updating, as they are old and the resolution is far from clear. Other than that, we had a good stay.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Rooms need updating
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Legalities
Port Hope, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

On our first motorcycle trip we drove through town looking for a place to stay and this one looked nice. First one we tried they had availability at a comparable price (had checked many places on line before we left home) Room was clean and a good size, obviously and older hotel, but they had done a good job updating. The location was great, right across from the Olympic arena and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. They gave us a room where we could park the bike in front and keep an eye on it. Overall they were very accommodating. Continental breakfast was included and it was average.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

We have stayed here on several different occasions and we're never disappointed! Beautiful place and friendly staff .

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Syracuse, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

More than a month ahead of time I booked a 2-night reservation at the Adirondack Inn. I was never sent any confirmation, but as I had made the reservation over the phone I was confident everything was ok. The week of my business trip I called to confirm the reservation only to find out that they only had me down for the first night. I was informed that there was no vacancy for the second night, and that they had been booked for a month (bear in mind, I had reserved the 2nd night more than a month earlier). This caused me a great deal of stress, as I then had to scramble to find another hotel in the middle of ski season - which I did. While I was in town, on the day of what would have been my second night, I passed the Adirondack Inn and saw that the "Vacancy" sign was up - so there WAS room - - ?!

On the plus side, the AI was accommodating enough that they cancelled my reservation without charge, since it had been theirm mistake and not mine. It looked like a nice place... just be sure to double check your reservations!

Stayed March 2008
Watkins Glen, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2008

The Adirondack Inn is a nice place to stay in Lake Placid. It's right in the center of town and within walking distance to all the restaurants of Main St. It's right across from the Olympic Ice Rinks, which are a must see while in Lake Placid.
The accomodations were sufficient, clean, and easily accessible. We made use of the hot tub and it was nice to warm up after walking around in the snowy weather. It's no luxury hotel, but for the price you get a nice room to stay. The breakfast is coffee, juice and muffins, basic continental. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — continental breakfast
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

Have been to Lake Placid several times and had still be trying to find a hotel/inn that had a balance of what we were looking for without costing us a bundle. Adding to our frustration was that we were a family of 5...no other property would allow 5 people in a room except to upgrade to a suite. The Adirondack Inn had exactly what we were aiming for - in the center of the village within walking distance of everything...shops, restaurants, ice skating at the oval, movies, etc. I love walking around the village and not having to hop in the car all the time! It had a nice lobby area with fireplace and lounging area, gave us that country/mountain atmosphere. There was an indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, pool table, game room and fitness room, all well-maintained. And our stay included a nice and ample Continental breakfast each morning. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. Our room although small for 5 people...was clean, well kept, and had a refrigerator. I would definitely go there again. I liked that this was not a motor lodge where you gain access to your room from the parking lot (although I think the first floor rooms offer both options.)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — didn't get the room expected
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family