Tripadvisor
Lake Placid
Review Highlights
Family and friends July 4th adventure.

I grew up on east coast in NYC. I have lived in California for some 40+ years. My brother lives in... read more

Reviewed December 30, 2019
Marco I
Corralitos
via mobile
Must Visit!!

Reviewed August 27, 2019
SBS1951
via mobile

All reviews fantastic tour skating oval hockey team skate rental his knowledge ice skating hockey fan figure skating our tour guide olympic hockey fun to watch rogers jim rinks miracle games speed
Selected filters
Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

I grew up on east coast in NYC.
I have lived in California for some 40+ years.
My brother lives in Westchester NY and he planned this trip to Lake Placid.
It was beautiful, mountains all around pristine blue Lake really lovely.
1980 Olympic ice ring still functional and Museum was great.
Friendly people and fun place we stayed on the lake.
The lake is private so no hotels or not many boats.
Luxury homes wooden boats in boat houses fun stuff.
Food fell short buy I am from Bay area so we are spoiled.
Great summer and winter getaway.

Reviewed August 27, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I toured the Olympic Center at Lake Placid today. For 10 dollars you can see,hear and feel the excitement of the 1980 Miracle on Ice! Thank you Sean for bringing us back to 1980 and reminding us of the event that changed the game of hockey. It was this team that made every young hockey player in the USA say I want to play in the Olympics! Not only your knowledge of the 1980 Olympics but your knowledge and stories from 1932 Olympics kept us entertained throughout the tour. Thank you and everyone who reads this review attend the tour you will not be disappointed!! PS....I will return!

Date of experience: August 2019
2  Thank SBS1951
Reviewed August 4, 2019

My family and I visited the Lake Placid Olympic Center in July. Now to clarify, the Olympic Center encompasses several tripadvisor "things to do". The Olympic Center includes the Herb Brooks Arena, two other ice arenas, and the Lake Placid Olympic Museum. So my rating for this facility includes all of those places.

First of all, the arena itself is no great shakes--it's a small sports arena. However, what elevated this experience from humdrum to fascinating was two things--the museum and the tour (these are separate). We first entered the facility from the wrong end and found ourselves wandering the locker room smelling halls and wondering what we were doing. We finally got ourselves oriented and entered the main entrance, where the door for the LPOlympic Museum was located. This museum is tiny, but jam-packed full of interesting items. All four of us, mom, dad and two teens were kept busy looking at the exhibits. They include plenty of hands on things (like getting on a bobsled, luge and skeleton to see what it's like). There was also a fun scavenger hunt which my kids really enjoyed. They also continually play the original broadcast from the Miracle on Ice win by the US mens hockey team over the Soviets during the Olympics, which was fun to watch.

After an hour looking around (we weren't finished), we headed out of the museum and went immediately upstairs where we bought tickets for the Olympic Center tour from a small kiosk (CASH only, and there's an ATM around the corner if needed). THIS TOUR IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without this tour the center would get 3 stars. Our tour guide is Sean (I'm guessing he's the only one who does tours) and he is simply AMAZING. A complete mine of information. He took us all around the facility, showed us the interesting spots, and never stopped telling amazing stories about this facility. His tour brought the place to life. Without his information and guidance the building would be just another smelly arena. The tour was long--supposed to be 60 minutes but it was more like 80. Not that we were complaining--it was so fascinating I could have listened to him longer. And my family and I are not sports buffs at all. There are chances to sit during the tour and that helps but there is a lot of walking and standing and it would not be handicapped accessible based on what we did.

After the tour, we did the short ride where you can "experience" riding a bobsled, luge, skeleton and ski jump, which was fun and perfectly fine for my family but I wouldn't do it with kids under 6 (it's a jerky motion ride). We then went back to the museum to finish up what we missed the first time around. We easily spent 3 hours here and it was the best thing we did in Lake Placid.

6  Thank mommusega
Reviewed July 24, 2019 via mobile

We spent 90 minutes with Jim Rogers who took us on a tour of the Olympic Center. His knowledge and passion brought it so alive for us and I must admit occasionally brought tears to my eyes. So glad we were able to have this opportunity. It has motivated me to do more research on my own.

1  Thank ansco
Reviewed July 18, 2019

We watched auditions for figure skating. So fun to watch potential future Olympic competitors. We didn’t stay too long because we were not properly dressed and it was cold in there. But we watched several skaters being judged.

Date of experience: June 2019