“good and odd”

Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge
Ranked #3 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at Paradox Lodge between Christmas and New Year based on trip advisor reviews. I do not normally like B&B's but my partner convinced me to give it a go.

We arrived late after driving through the snow from NYC and the welcome was very warm, especially given that we had arrived in the middle of dinner service. Nan took the time to show us to our beautiful room in Cedar Lodge, the little gas heater was lovely and the collectables that adorn the room give it a nice personal touch. The shower was amazing, great water pressure and the spa bath was also a treat after a snowy day. There is bottled water in the fridge and a coffee machine in the entrance to the lodge. The rooms are all spotlessly clean and house keeping staff are fantastic for example when they noticed my toothbrush on the bathroom bench they provided a toothbrush holder, it was these little things that made us feel welcome.
On the downside: Noise coming through the floors was very loud, every footstep and creak was heard. The bed was not comfortable unfortunately, feather toppers make the bed a little lumpy and the flannelette sheets were great when I was 10 but they were not that great as an adult, itchy and scratchy. To give credit I am sure that if we had said something the host would have provided different linen but we did not. A hint would be to ask for cotton sheets.

We had a few queries about local services and Nan was very helpful, getting on the internet and looking up ski bus times etc for us with no issue.

Breakfast was percolated coffee and fresh juice, fruit (with salt on it - a little odd) and a choice of eggs or pancakes / waffles. There was nothing to special about breakfast but it was OK. No doubt there will be a rebuttal from the owners re this comment, but honestly it was not special or unique.

The thing we found a little odd is that Red seemed to get offended easily, now I may have focused on this but we found him a little odd on the first night with some of his inappropriate comments to my partner. We ate dinner in the restaurant the first two night but after the second night I simply couldn't manage the truly massive serves, they were so big that I felt ill just seeing them coming out of the kitchen. The food was actually quite nice but the size so off putting (for example the second night my dinner took 2 massive plates - 1 of vegetables and a huge bowl of pasta). I cancelled dinner for the next three nights, this was met with a muttered "you can't sell coal in Newcastle" from Red in the kitchen, when challenged he just said oh nothing. We decided to leave a day early, due to poor snow quality the first response from Nan was there's no refund. I was aware of the refund policy, which actually says no refund if the room is unable to be resold. But these odd little bits of behaviour did not make us feel particularly welcome and made both a little difficult to approach with any issues.

Overall if you are looking for a unique lodge with loads of trinkets and nick-nacks (including lots of stuffed animals) and are used to B&B's then Paradox lodge is for you.

Room Tip: Get a upstairs room as ever noise comes through the floor boards to the rooms below.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jenisonholiday
SNOWBLIZ, Owner at Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

The Trip Advisor review response guidelines say that you must respond in the same language the review has been written. I will do my best to adhere to this but there are some phrases and words that are simply foreign to me.

Your opening and closing sentences say it all: that you do not normally like B & B’s, you are not used to them, and they are not for you.

So next I will address the rest of your text. We are glad you thought your room was beautiful and appreciated the amenities and cleanliness as well as the gas fireplace and Jacuzzi tub. The little things that you stated made you feel welcome. And yes, I did spend a lot of time answering your questions both prior to (via email) and upon your arrival. Your heavy/ thick accent was very difficult to understand so I had to ask you to repeat yourself numerous times. As for the things you pointed out on the “downside”: if people were being inappropriately noisy above you then you could have said something and I would have spoken to the people in that room and asked them to be more considerate of those below. Our houses were both built in the late 1800’s so some creaky boards are unavoidable. Next, the featherbed on the bed is in no way attached to the mattress and could have easily been removed by one of our fantastic housekeeping staff. We fluff the featherbeds every time the bed is made up. Now for the sheets: they are L.L. Bean 100% cotton Ultrasoft Flannel Sheets. (I am not sure what “flannelette” is.) In our 15 years of existence we have not had a single complaint about them – quite the opposite – people actually go away with the information and end up ordering them to have at home. You can watch a video on the L.L. Bean web site and see how the fabric and sheets are made. They are butter soft. What you refer to as being itchy and scratchy was dry skin. Extremely cold temperatures with dry air combined with being outside all day and then soaking in a tub of hot water along with consuming caffeine and alcohol contribute to dehydration and dry scaly skin. Those of us who live here know that in the winter you must hydrate and moisturize on a daily basis. And no, we do not have other sheets – The L.L. Bean flannels are our signature just like the blue glass bottled Saratoga water that we put in the rooms with our compliments.

Our cooked to order breakfast is, as I have stated in previous responses, included in the price of the room. Our coffee is fresh brewed – not “percolated” and as anyone who gets it knows that salt on fresh fruit enhances the flavor. If you were looking for an extensive breakfast menu we have Ho Jo’s breakfast bar right up the street.

Next, your focus on Red, the chef. He tried to make a joke with you on the first night and you simply missed it. Part of staying at a B & B is the interaction not only with the hosts but with other guests as well. And your dramatic description of the “massive serves” (sounds like a tennis match) making you feel ill watching them come out of the kitchen. Why didn’t you make a break for the rest room if you felt so ill? We are known for our year round delicious fresh vegetables both root vegetables as well as others. You saw the portions the first night and even ordered a dessert. The second night you ordered the largest item on our menu. Why did you dine the second night if you thought the portions too large? Again, the vegetables are another signature item of ours. You make it sound like you were forced to eat it all. And because of your last minute dinner cancellations the following two evenings we were unable to re-sell your table until the third night. We order, staff and prep based upon our reservations. You reserved your room and dinners on September 18, 2013. Your last minute cancellations left us with empty tables during the Christmas holiday - the busiest week of the year. We turned so many people away and it cost us $100’s of revenue. You bet it caused comment from the kitchen!

When you announced your early departure, to my own defense, I did not say “No Refund”. I simply wanted to make you aware that “we do have a policy that there is no refund for early check out unless we are able to re-sell the room.” I have learned that it is very important to put this on the front end when people choose to depart early because more often than not, people are unaware of the policy and in most situations they end up deciding to stay. Pointing out the policy also avoids any confrontation at check out. I am just sorry I put as much effort into trying to re-sell your room for you – posting it immediately on the internet, notifying our Visitors Bureau, as well as calling other properties. And mind you, this little bit of conversation that we had was when you were departing – and you said the odd behavior on the last day made it hard for you to approach me with issues that occurred before that? Your time line just doesn’t make sense.

So thank you for “raking us over the coals” – not just once but TWICE as you redundantly wrote a very contradictory restaurant review about the “massive serves” that were “off putting” and “spoilt” your whole meal. What you as the customer needs to learn is that if you don’t speak up then shut up. And one last tip for you is next time why don’t you just stay down under.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Paradox lodge was a warm welcome to lake placid. The main lodge was very cozy and the rooms spotless, although the beds were small. Comfortable but small. A little off the main drag but still convenient to everything. We were a little disappointed in breakfast after hearing rave reviews about their restaurant, but it was sufficient. Overall a nice place!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank NalaIndy
SNOWBLIZ, Owner at Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for your review of our lodge as we appreciate your comments. We do, however wish to address the fact that you sound as though you were surprised about the size of the bed in your room. On our web site we have descriptions of each room and the opening line states the size of the bed featured in the room. We have two rooms with fulls, two with queens and four with kings. If you were uncomfortable with the size of the bed in the room that you selected, had we known, we would have happily offered to move you to a room with a larger bed.

Also, we are sorry you were disappointed with our cooked to order hot breakfast included in the price of the room. Unlimited coffee/tea, choice of juice, fresh fruit (changes daily), choice of eggs (scrambled or fried) with toast and jam or either French toast, buttermilk pancakes or waffles. All breakfast items are served with either bacon, ham or sausage and home fries. (The breakfast meat changes daily.) The rave reviews you are referring to are of our restaurant that is open to the public for dinner only. We only serve the free breakfast to our lodge guests.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at the Paradox. We stayed in the Daisy room. It has a lot of character, but I wasn't a fan of the shower. It was cute but I think I'd prefer a traditional shower and sink. The owners, especially Nan, are super friendly and professional. The breakfast was delicious and we stayed for dinner one night - it was delicious.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our lodge as well as the meals that you had with us. We appreciate your comments. As for your dislike for our shower set up: when we renovated the building back in 1998 we tried to keep as much of the house as original as possible. This included keeping the claw foot tubs and putting a modern shower fixture inside of the tub. This way we were also able to put a private bath in each room. Had you expressed your displeasure for the shower set up we would have offered to move you to a different room with a traditional shower.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the Paradox over the New Year break. The room was beautiful and extremely cozy. We particularly enjoyed the stove in the room, it was great to warm up with after a long day out in the cold. The bed was made every day and the towels were new each morning. Nan and Red were very kind, welcoming and easy to talk to. The food was AMAZING. We looked forward to breakfast every morning, it is definitely worth getting up and out of bed for. We spent a night in the restaurant for dinner and we can't recommend it enough. It was quiet, romantic, and exactly what we wanted for a special honeymoon dinner. We will most definitely be staying there again next time we visit Lake Placid.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Paradox Lodge for your special occasion. It was a pleasure meet and getting to know you both. We are looking forward to having you return in the future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Paradox located in the main house upstairs from the restaurant. It was a visual feast. The main living room, adjacent to the restaurant was loaded with interesting adirondack memorabilia and books to peruse. Our guest room was lovely, cozy, clean, unique and quirky (in a good way). It was appointed with style. The blend of furnishings from Deco to Adirondack Lodge give this place a very interesting and very cool feel. Paradox Inn is a fun experience. Our hosts Nan & Red made us feel very welcome, relaxed and well fed. We will go back again in a heartbeat.

Andy & Liz

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I just stayed for a long weekend at The Paradox. We loved every second of our stay there. Nan and Red made us feel so welcomed. From the moment we arrived until we left to go home. Breakfast each morning was delicious! It was the perfect weekend away and we WILL be coming back soon.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank cls82
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

This is our second stay here this year. That itself should say how much we like this place. We feel like they are family. The bed was made for us every day and we had new clean towels also. For breakfast I had waffles, pancakes, and french toast. All on different days. They were all top notch. Dinner is also the best place in town. All the food is locally grown and harvested. So is the maple syrup. You must make reservations for it but it will be the best meal you'll have!
Thanks for another great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013