“Extraordinary meal!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Extraordinary meal!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I just had a fabulous dinner at Paradox Lodge. The food was artfully prepared, delicious to eat as well as visually appealing. Red, the chef, and his wife Nan were friendly and delightful. This is a gourmet restaurant and suitable for 5 stars in any location. We will return next year when we visit the Adirondacks again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kennebunk, Maine, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Since 2011, we have made Paradox Lodge our Lake Placid base for the Ironman event every July. The rooms are appointed with artwork and collectibles typical of the high peaks region of the Adirondaks and all have private baths and air conditioned comfort. Proprietors "Red" and Nan LaFontaine are most accomodating and are great company on the porch at night for a nightcap and banter. Breakfast in the dining room is very congenial and hearty. As the late afternoon transitions to evening, Red's casual attire is replaced by a tie and his chef's whites as the five star dining experience awaits. It's not unusual to see locals who know where the best dining in the area is to be there so you'll want to make your reservation early. The front porch is a terrific place to dine on a warm mid-summer's night. The village is a short walk away. Having competitive athletic backgrounds themselves, Red and Nan understand what the Ironman experience means to their guests, and they make the extra effort to see that their hospitality is equally enjoyed.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Cedar Lodge have a bit more privacy are roomier.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Eden Mills, Ontario
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went to the Paradox Lodge for dinner to celebrate a birthday. It was one of the best meals I have ever had!! The decor is a bit unusual, but the food is exceptional!! I had scallops on a skewer of rosemary that were perfect, and the plate was full of vegetables done to perfection!
We had never been to Lake Placid before, and when I asked my husband if he'd like to go again, his comment, was "only if we can go to Paradox Lodge for dinner!!!"

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Latham, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2013

For the past several years, we have a group that gets together annually for a fishing excursion in the Lake Placid area. This year, 7 of us were able to make it. We are from all areas in New York State - from Long Island to the Buffalo area, and even New Jersey. Some are retired and some are still working. Many of us are well traveled. All of us have stayed in various accommodations in Lake Placid in the past. For the past several years, we have stayed at Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge bed and breakfast. The owners/hosts, Moses ("Red") and Nan LaFountaine of this b&b have created an absolutely wonderful place decorated in true style Adirondack camp decor. Be aware that there are a limited number of rooms available, but each and every room is nicely decorated in the Adirondack motif. From claw foot tubs and antique brass fixttures to whirlpool tubs, each room is unique. The entire lodge contains numerous items reminiscent of days gone by, and there are many antiques and collectibles throughout the lodge. The lodge itself is situated just out of the downtown area, but within walking distance. Although located on the main road into and out of town, road noise at night is negligent. I had no problem whatsoever sleeping in the Fawn Ridge room, which faces roadway. Other rooms are available, either away from roadway, or which front Paradox bay. Red and Nan are wonderful hosts and make you feel welcome right from the moment of arrival. Red is very outgoing and energetic. He is also one fantastic chef. Nan tends to each guests' needs and requests with courtesy and professionalism. I can tell you that all in our group have dined all over and have had varied culinary experiences. Red ranks right up there with the best of them. His meals and their preparation are excellent. The lodge dining room seats both guests and the public, and Red and staff are visible hard at work preparing all meals. All the while, Red enthusiastically regales patrons with stories. Also, Lodge staff are very pleasant and attentive to customers. Rooms are nicely cleaned and kept, and they are attentive to dining patrons. Dinners are truly exceptional. The dinner menu contains varied selections, but pay attenton to the specials and Red's and Nan's recommendations. He is an absolute master in his presentations. From lamb to pork to steaks to seafood - all of us enjoyed his meals. Whether a menu selection or a special, be prepared for an exceptional meal. We were even treated to fresh fish from the sea - and I mean fresh - caught and shipped the same day. Also, the table setttings were first rate. When you see local citizens eating here, you know you've got a winner. Sit on the porch in the rockers after dinner, unwind and enjoy conversation with friends and soak in the 'dack experience. You won't be diisappointed.

This is my honest, personal experience and opinion. I have reviewed the few negative comments posted on TripAdvisor and can tell you that we have never experienced anything but wonderful hospitality from Red and Nan. They are really very nice people. They welcome you warmly, and you cannot help but feel that you are home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Watervliet, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned from another stay at my favorite Adirondack place, Paradox/Cedar Lodge in Lake Placid. The accommodations are very nice, the service is always friendly, and the food is the best in Lake Placid. Even if you're not staying at the Lodge,(which you should), then go there for dinner; it's the best in Lake Placid. Nan and Red make all guests feel welcome.

Room Tip: All accommodations are first class.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have traveled to Lake Placid for over 30 years and in my travels, I have stayed at the most lavish hotel and the most family oriented hub. I love the town as it awakens everything beautiful within and brings to life being one with nature. The people, pubs, restaurants and boutiques all offer the same warmth and good nature that one would hope for in escaping for a weekend away from the city life and the havoc that comes with it to a small town for refuge and relaxation.

I walked into the Paradox Lodge and was immediately greeted by the in keepers who were cordial and welcoming. The refreshing scent of flowers and herbs permeated the air and as I stepped into the main building and discovered the sitting room and decor, I was immediately transported into a bohemian eclectic atmosphere that kept my eyes busy for quite some time. There was so much to see, touch, admire and view. The antiques and paintings, the statues and books, the sitting area so cozy and warm.. everything that one can dream of when visiting a B & B without any hesitation at all lay right before my eyes and I was fully transported to a very special place and time.
Our hosts invited us to view premises, the private beach with the quiet private garden and take a tour of our room. To our surprise, we were upgraded as other guests had to change their reservations and so we were treated to a spacious and warm room filled again with eclectic artwork, furniture, antiques and probably the most luxurious bathrobes that I have ever worn. The details of the shower, towels, amenities and cleanliness were ideal and I can't explain how exceptional the linens and bedding was. I slept like a baby and had a very difficult time awaking in the early am hours.
The breakfasts were delectable and unique as our host is a creative and crafty chef. He prides himself in making his own vanilla and many other delicious ingredients from scratch to ensure an awakening fit for a king and queen.
I just called the Inn to thank my hosts for a most memorable stay. Not only did they facilitate our needs, they were outstanding in their suggestions of hiking trails and places of interest that we had not visited in the past. I thank them for their kindness, hospitality and promise to return, sometime in the very near future and would highly recommend the Paradox Lodge to anyone who is searching for the best kept secret in the Adirondacks!

Room Tip: Make sure to book in advance as this B & B has many return guests!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susie1961
Albany, NY
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have stayed here twice now in the fall to enjoy the hiking in the area. Rooms are clean, cute, cozy, and comfortable! Staff is helpful and friendly. Breakfast is so delicious, best pancakes I ever had. It is a quick walk into town to explore or enjoy the many restaurants. We will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple