“Don't Miss It!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Ruston, Louisiana
“Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am from Greenwich, CT, just 30 minutes outside of the Great NYC! I have eaten in the best restaurants and stayed in the finest hotels. I cannot believe how Nan and Chef Red have woven the best of Manhattan into their fine dining and superb lodging in a pristine Adirondack atmosphere. Let's start with the fine dining. They have a wonderful bar with the best martinis for starters. Their appetizers are mouth-watering. Make sure you order one. You will love it! Their vegetables and fruits are so fresh, and I discovered that the local farmer's market is right across the street from them, so I am certain they shop there for the seasonal produce. I was touring the local sugar house during my visit to Lake Placid when Nan and Red dropped in to purchase their maple syrup, another nice touch when it comes to Chef Red's french toast and pancakes for breakfast. The steaks, chops, seafood, and chicken dishes are all winners and the choices are endless that you will be hard pressed to pick just one entree. When the meal arrives it is a work of art. Red designs each plate with the "WOW" factor. Then, he ventures out of the kitchen to check on your satisfaction in the dining room. We pepper him with questions about the history, the food, the wine. It is a nice touch when you feel like you know the owners. You will not be disappointed. When you leave the magnificent Adirondack dining room and head to your room at the Paradox, you are in for more treats and surprises. Nan decorates each room with its own flare. Every comforter and matching shams and sheets are unique. Each nick nack purchased just for that room makes it special. Chef Red's talents also move into the lodging rooms where he hand built each Adirondack table and purchased gorgeous sinks for the baths. The walls, ceilings and floors are all specially designed and frankly, enchanting. People request rooms and if not booked early they are taken, so reserve early. They were sold out for that weekend on the Wednesday that we were there for dinner. It is the perfect place for a romantic getaway, a rehearshal dinner, a special birthday party, (we took my mom there for her 80th) your wedding or anniversary occasion, or that surprise engagement for the one you love. Although I did not stay at the Paradox, because I stay with friends in town, I requested a tour of the rooms and would love to stay there based on what I saw. My friends and I just go there to eat whenever we can, but if I were booking a special event in Lake Placid the first call would be to The Paradox Lodge for my family and friends. Luanne

Room Tip: Book early, or you won't get in. All rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marie19_196060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wayne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in the Treetop Room for just one night. The room is located at the top of the staircase in the main inn and we did not see other guests this midweek night. The room faces the southern most point of Lake Placid but it was a bit hard to capture a waterfront feel through the foliage in the yard leading down to the water's edge. It was a cool Sept. night so air conditioning was not needed which suited us fine! The room, bed, and furnishings were comfortable but the bathroom was very tiny with a small sink opposite the toilet and an old fashioned (yet charming) tub with a shower head. We were so pleased with the complimentary canoe/kayaks and set out for a paddle right away...what a fun way to sightsee this lovely area! Afterwards we enjoyed wine (which we brought but they do have a bar) while taking in the view from the lounge chairs. Dinner at Paradox was great so be sure to reserve a time well in advance as most dining guests are not staying there. We walked off our meal by heading to town and then kept going around the entire Mirror Lake loop. The next morning we had coffee, juice, raspberries,eggs,Canadian bacon and toast for breakfast (glad we took that long walk) and figured out our day with Nan's great suggestions...our favorites being the Lake Placid Tour Boat (a must do!) and a hike up Cobble Hill.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake (back of the house) will have less street noise.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Lake Placid had always been a favourite R&R destination, but after discovering it, Paradox
Lodge became the destination - one we have returned to many times over many years. A truly
unique B&B offering comfortable accommodation with a truly Adirondack atmosphere. Each
room has its own personality created with flair by Nan and “Red,” the hosts/owners of the Lodge.
Our favourite room is Jenkins (in Cedars), which offers a most comfortable bed, fireplace,
balcony, Jacuzzi, rain shower - the list goes on. An excellent breakfast, prepared to order rounds
out the B&B experience.
In addition to all its accommodation excellence, the Lodge is one of the best dining spots in the
area. Our first introduction to Paradox was as dinner guests many years ago and the love affair
with “Red” and his excellent fare continues unabated. From cocktails on the lawn on the shore of
Lake Placid or on the front verandah or in the living room, to the appetizers and entrees prepared
freshly to order, all is wonderful. Quality of ingredients and inspired preparation prevail. And in
addition to this wonderful food there is an excellent wine list, with knowledgeable advice to
boot.
All in all, we heartily and without reservation recommend Paradox Lodge.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Champlain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have stayed in the Lodge four times. Each has been a unique and positive experience. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for great food as the breakfast was delicious and dinner was one if a kind! Could not have been better.

• Stayed July 2012
Aspen, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently had our wedding at the Lodge and were extremly pleased with it! The lawn by the lake was a gorgeous back drop for the reception and could not have asked for a better day! The staff was extremly accommodating and the food was out of this world. The cheff is very talentated and was quite a entertaining charactor. The rooms are charming in the main lodge how ever if your looking for a truly romantic experience I suggest the Cedar Lodge as the rooms are more fitting for a honeymooning couple. I was blown away by the craftmanship of the Cedar lodge and the fact that the proprietor/cheff did all the work. He is truly a man of many talents as he also is the artist of many of the paintings hanging in the B&B. I would highly recomend this establishment for any intimate event you may be having or honeymoon destination.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest the Cedar lodge or one of the back rooms in the main lodge for a lake view and le...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed for a night in the Cedar Lodge portion.The room was clean and well appointed with all the expected upper-end amenities. No faults there. But the Lodge is very close to the main road, so before 1:00 a.m. or so road noise is a factor, especially on a warm summer night with the window open for air ( unless you opt instead for the window A/C blowing on you all night ). The beds were comfortable but not the pillows --- hard and lumpy. Overall the place has a very eclectic Adirondac decor, and in that sense has its charm. The owners both love to collect "folk art and artifacts" and the stuff is everywhere. But there is no apparent joy in sharing any stories with you about any of it. In fact there seems to be little joy for them in welcoming new guests. So calling themselves a B&B seems a misnomer. The breakfast portion of the B&B handle was also a letdown. We got plain old bacon and eggs. We expected better from an owner/chef.

We did not eat supper there although, breakfast aside, the place has a solid reputation for fine food --- most assuredly on the pricey side. We opted out primarily because the dining room seemed small, cramped and noisy ( window A/C units going full blast ) and because the proprietors seemed indifferent to having us stay for dinner anyway. So we ate at the Brown Dog in town where we were warmly welcomed and the food was excellent.

All things considered, at a lesser price point the place might be worth a return, but as the small, quirky Adirondac Inn that it is, not as a high end B&B that it pretends to be.

Room Tip: Some units have more amenities than others but none escape the road and/or window A/C unit noises.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SNOWBLIZ, Owner at Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
These guests booked several months prior after reading a nice write up that we had in the Travel section of the Ottawa Citizen newspaper. Upon making the reservation I was told that they wanted to see if we were as good as the article said we were. It was as though they were presenting us with a challenge. I had an odd feeling about these guests and in hind sight I wish had followed my instinct and told them that I did not think we were the place for them. So months later they arrive and upon check in I am presented with a copy of the article that was published. It was thrust towards me from a binder clip full of other information and I was once again told that this is why they were here and that we had to prove that we were as good as what the article said. (We already had copies of the article sent to us by some of our regular customers from the same city.) Awkward does not even begin to describe what I felt. Having never been put off by a guest before I was speechless. Again, I missed the opportunity to suggest they go elsewhere as I just knew they had brought high expectations with them. I thanked him for the article and excused myself. After being shown to their room in the Cedar Lodge they returned to the main lodge again challenging what we do – this time they said it to my husband who was prepping for dinner service in the kitchen.

As for the issues he had with the lodge: we are located on Saranac Avenue/ Route 86 in Lake Placid. That is our address and that is how we appear in our directions and on Google Maps. They seemed surprised about our location. As for the air conditioning – yes, we have window air conditioners for two reasons: one is that our buildings were built in the late 1800’s – well before central air – and second they are removed for the winter to help keep the warmth in the buildings. The pillows they speak of are filled with the same down filling as the comfortable featherbed that they slept on. Perhaps they were sleeping on the accent pillows which are not down filled and not meant to be slept on. Yes, we have a lot of Adirondack eclectic decorations and memorabilia throughout our buildings but to be honest I had no desire to engage these people in any lengthy conversation about any of it.

As for the breakfast the plain old bacon and eggs happen to come from local farms nearby. The eggs come from free range chickens and the bacon and Canadian bacon from an organic farm that just raises pigs and delivers to us every Saturday. Our breakfast is cooked to order and includes coffee or tea, juice, fresh fruit and a choice between an egg item and a starch item such as waffles or French toast or buttermilk pancakes. Our maple syrup is made right here in Lake Placid at Heaven Hill Farm and our butter is whipped with honey.

In regards to dinner, all guests get a confirmation letter and/ or a contact email suggesting they reserve well in advance of their arrival. Our restaurant, which is small and intimate, is open to the public in the evening and therefore we book up rather quickly. They did not make advance reservations and therefore there were no tables left which is why we made no mention to them. That coupled with the fact that they had such a “prove it” to us and somewhat aggressive attitude made us realize we did not want them in our dining room. We were glad they enjoyed The Brown Dog as it is one of the few other restaurants we recommend to our guests. And yes, we do blast our air conditioners prior to the arrival of the first guests to keep the dining room as cool as possible. Once the first reservation arrives we turn them back.

We do not pretend to be anything more than what we are – a unique B & B with a top notch restaurant. And as far as being worth a return he doesn’t have to worry about that as we would not have this self ordained critic back to stay with us any time in the future.

Our response would have come sooner had we not been full up and busy with more pleasant appreciative guests.
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have been traveling to Lake Placid , and other areas in the North Country ( Adirondack Park ) all my life. I have stayed everywhere from a lowly motel to the most high profile of the hotels. The Paradox Lodge is the real thing. I have had the pleasure of staying there many times and have never been disappointed.
It has more luxurious rooms than any hotel can give you, the acknowledged best food (by Trip Advisor), and the ambiance of truly being an Adirondack Lodge. I know it is very confusing when motels and rooming houses call themselves Inns. Impersonal multimillion dollar national operations call themselves a Lodge and only GOD knows what a Hotel is? Also, isn’t it a fact that imitation is greatest form of a compliment. Red and Nan didn’t just quit their day jobs, they have been doing this all their lives!
The Paradox of this place is …you get the best appointed rooms, bedding to die for, gorgeous art work and Adirondack furniture actually crafted by your host! Only steps from main street Lake Placid , a gorgeous view of Whiteface Mountain , direct access to Lake Placid which is not readily available to the public. The personal attention of the proprietors, and five star dinning on the premises. It is no wonder Rachel Ray so strongly endorsed Paradox Lodge on her Tasty Travels show for FoodTV.
After a trip to the top of Whiteface why on earth would you want to stay in any other place? In a hotel when you close the door you could be in Any Town USA, but at the Paradox you know you are in the Adirondacks !!!!

Room Tip: Cedar lodge has a room with the most lux bathroom you have ever seen!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo