“Everything was fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Lake Champlain
“Everything was fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have stayed in the Lodge four times. Each has been a unique and positive experience. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for great food as the breakfast was delicious and dinner was one if a kind! Could not have been better.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Aspen, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently had our wedding at the Lodge and were extremly pleased with it! The lawn by the lake was a gorgeous back drop for the reception and could not have asked for a better day! The staff was extremly accommodating and the food was out of this world. The cheff is very talentated and was quite a entertaining charactor. The rooms are charming in the main lodge how ever if your looking for a truly romantic experience I suggest the Cedar Lodge as the rooms are more fitting for a honeymooning couple. I was blown away by the craftmanship of the Cedar lodge and the fact that the proprietor/cheff did all the work. He is truly a man of many talents as he also is the artist of many of the paintings hanging in the B&B. I would highly recomend this establishment for any intimate event you may be having or honeymoon destination.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest the Cedar lodge or one of the back rooms in the main lodge for a lake view and le...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed for a night in the Cedar Lodge portion.The room was clean and well appointed with all the expected upper-end amenities. No faults there. But the Lodge is very close to the main road, so before 1:00 a.m. or so road noise is a factor, especially on a warm summer night with the window open for air ( unless you opt instead for the window A/C blowing on you all night ). The beds were comfortable but not the pillows --- hard and lumpy. Overall the place has a very eclectic Adirondac decor, and in that sense has its charm. The owners both love to collect "folk art and artifacts" and the stuff is everywhere. But there is no apparent joy in sharing any stories with you about any of it. In fact there seems to be little joy for them in welcoming new guests. So calling themselves a B&B seems a misnomer. The breakfast portion of the B&B handle was also a letdown. We got plain old bacon and eggs. We expected better from an owner/chef.

We did not eat supper there although, breakfast aside, the place has a solid reputation for fine food --- most assuredly on the pricey side. We opted out primarily because the dining room seemed small, cramped and noisy ( window A/C units going full blast ) and because the proprietors seemed indifferent to having us stay for dinner anyway. So we ate at the Brown Dog in town where we were warmly welcomed and the food was excellent.

All things considered, at a lesser price point the place might be worth a return, but as the small, quirky Adirondac Inn that it is, not as a high end B&B that it pretends to be.

Room Tip: Some units have more amenities than others but none escape the road and/or window A/C unit noises.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SNOWBLIZ, Owner at Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
These guests booked several months prior after reading a nice write up that we had in the Travel section of the Ottawa Citizen newspaper. Upon making the reservation I was told that they wanted to see if we were as good as the article said we were. It was as though they were presenting us with a challenge. I had an odd feeling about these guests and in hind sight I wish had followed my instinct and told them that I did not think we were the place for them. So months later they arrive and upon check in I am presented with a copy of the article that was published. It was thrust towards me from a binder clip full of other information and I was once again told that this is why they were here and that we had to prove that we were as good as what the article said. (We already had copies of the article sent to us by some of our regular customers from the same city.) Awkward does not even begin to describe what I felt. Having never been put off by a guest before I was speechless. Again, I missed the opportunity to suggest they go elsewhere as I just knew they had brought high expectations with them. I thanked him for the article and excused myself. After being shown to their room in the Cedar Lodge they returned to the main lodge again challenging what we do – this time they said it to my husband who was prepping for dinner service in the kitchen.

As for the issues he had with the lodge: we are located on Saranac Avenue/ Route 86 in Lake Placid. That is our address and that is how we appear in our directions and on Google Maps. They seemed surprised about our location. As for the air conditioning – yes, we have window air conditioners for two reasons: one is that our buildings were built in the late 1800’s – well before central air – and second they are removed for the winter to help keep the warmth in the buildings. The pillows they speak of are filled with the same down filling as the comfortable featherbed that they slept on. Perhaps they were sleeping on the accent pillows which are not down filled and not meant to be slept on. Yes, we have a lot of Adirondack eclectic decorations and memorabilia throughout our buildings but to be honest I had no desire to engage these people in any lengthy conversation about any of it.

As for the breakfast the plain old bacon and eggs happen to come from local farms nearby. The eggs come from free range chickens and the bacon and Canadian bacon from an organic farm that just raises pigs and delivers to us every Saturday. Our breakfast is cooked to order and includes coffee or tea, juice, fresh fruit and a choice between an egg item and a starch item such as waffles or French toast or buttermilk pancakes. Our maple syrup is made right here in Lake Placid at Heaven Hill Farm and our butter is whipped with honey.

In regards to dinner, all guests get a confirmation letter and/ or a contact email suggesting they reserve well in advance of their arrival. Our restaurant, which is small and intimate, is open to the public in the evening and therefore we book up rather quickly. They did not make advance reservations and therefore there were no tables left which is why we made no mention to them. That coupled with the fact that they had such a “prove it” to us and somewhat aggressive attitude made us realize we did not want them in our dining room. We were glad they enjoyed The Brown Dog as it is one of the few other restaurants we recommend to our guests. And yes, we do blast our air conditioners prior to the arrival of the first guests to keep the dining room as cool as possible. Once the first reservation arrives we turn them back.

We do not pretend to be anything more than what we are – a unique B & B with a top notch restaurant. And as far as being worth a return he doesn’t have to worry about that as we would not have this self ordained critic back to stay with us any time in the future.

Our response would have come sooner had we not been full up and busy with more pleasant appreciative guests.
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have been traveling to Lake Placid , and other areas in the North Country ( Adirondack Park ) all my life. I have stayed everywhere from a lowly motel to the most high profile of the hotels. The Paradox Lodge is the real thing. I have had the pleasure of staying there many times and have never been disappointed.
It has more luxurious rooms than any hotel can give you, the acknowledged best food (by Trip Advisor), and the ambiance of truly being an Adirondack Lodge. I know it is very confusing when motels and rooming houses call themselves Inns. Impersonal multimillion dollar national operations call themselves a Lodge and only GOD knows what a Hotel is? Also, isn’t it a fact that imitation is greatest form of a compliment. Red and Nan didn’t just quit their day jobs, they have been doing this all their lives!
The Paradox of this place is …you get the best appointed rooms, bedding to die for, gorgeous art work and Adirondack furniture actually crafted by your host! Only steps from main street Lake Placid , a gorgeous view of Whiteface Mountain , direct access to Lake Placid which is not readily available to the public. The personal attention of the proprietors, and five star dinning on the premises. It is no wonder Rachel Ray so strongly endorsed Paradox Lodge on her Tasty Travels show for FoodTV.
After a trip to the top of Whiteface why on earth would you want to stay in any other place? In a hotel when you close the door you could be in Any Town USA, but at the Paradox you know you are in the Adirondacks !!!!

Room Tip: Cedar lodge has a room with the most lux bathroom you have ever seen!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Eva H
Burlington, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at Paradox Lodge in the fall with some friends to do some cycling in the Tri-Lakes area. It was a great location to base ourselves out of as there are many great rides of varying difficulty. After riding we returned to the lodge and enjoyed the comforts of the Cedar Lodge rooms including the Jacuzzi and wonderful shower. Then we got some cocktails from the bar and sat down by the edge of the lake where we enjoyed the view and the sunset. It was so peaceful and relaxing just to sit and watch the ducks float by.

We were fortunate to be able to have a seat at the bar for dinner and watch all of the appetizers and dinners being prepared as each item is cooked to order. All of the food is so fresh and prepared to perfection by Moses “Red” LaFountaine who is the chef and his staff. (Red and wife Nan are the owners of the lodge.)

After dinner we relaxed on the front porch with a glass of wine and finally turned in for the night. The beds are so comfortable you do not want to get out of them in the morning but a delicious breakfast was waiting for us. As with the evening meals, the breakfast is cooked to order. It was a full breakfast as opposed to cereal and muffins that I have had at other B & B’s.

Staying at Paradox Lodge was truly an experience that we are still talking about and we hope to be able to return and stay longer next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gibson23
Salt Lake City, UT USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I travel to New England each fall to enjoy the beautiful leaves. My trip would not be complete without a stay at Paradox Lodge! The lodge is decorated in true Adirondack style, with loads of interesting items displayed throughout. Remember to ask the proprietors the history of the lodge. It's quite a story and the "before and after" photos will amaze you. I always request the Daisy Room, which is decorated in a warm and sunny yellow. It's comfortable and cozy and I sleep better there than I do at home! The rooms each have a private bath, which is not always the case at a B&B. Guests are invited to relax in the comfortable living room, where you can enjoy a drink by the fireplace or curl up with one of the many books guests may borrow. Don't miss the cooked-to-order breakfast when staying here. The food is excellent and the service is impeccable. It's a short walk to Main Street, where there are shops and boutiques galore. I look forward to my annual excursion, and my stay at Paradox Lodge is a high point.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in rooms in the main lodge, which are cozy and comfortable. I have toured the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sheryl T
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in Paradox Lodge - Daisy Room in March 2012. It is a warm, cozy lodge with an old authentic charm to it. Daisy Room is on 1st floor of the house. The pictures of the web site depict the room very well. The bathroom is sectioned out of a corner of the bedroom , so it is rather small but hey, the lodge was built in 1899..!! The room has a full size bed only; that allows the opportunity to snuggle up closer to your partner..! The bed was comfortable, the quilt was soft & warm.
The owners run the restaurant downstairs. So, when we arrived, they were rather busy. We carried our luggage upstairs on our own and settled in. We came down for dinner later (reservations must be made earlier) and enjoyed a very nice meal. The food was tasty and the presentation had some style to it as well. Be ware that the portion size is rather generous, so, if you are a small eater like we are, consider sharing..!

The decor of the kitchen/ dining area is in keeping with the old cozy theme of the lodge.The kitchen opens into the dining area, thus, you can see the chef cooking and smell the nice aroma of the food. From what we heard, if you want to debate politics, the chef is game..!

Overall a pleasant experience.
Breakfast was good too