Paradox Lodge & Cedar Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Maple Leaf Inn(Lake Placid)
View Hotel
Town House Lodge(Lake Placid)
Lake House(Lake Placid)
View Hotel
High Peaks Resort(Lake Placid)
View Hotel
All reviewsnanb bdaisy roomgreat hoststhe main housewonderful barinn keepersbreakfast was deliciousbusy roadthe main drageach morningclose to downtownthree nightsenjoyable stayjacuzzi tubmosescanoe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have been traveling to Lake Placid , and other areas in the North Country ( Adirondack Park ) all my life. I have stayed everywhere from a lowly motel to the most high profile of the hotels. The Paradox Lodge is the real thing. I have had the pleasure of staying there many times and have never been disappointed.
It has more luxurious rooms than any hotel can give you, the acknowledged best food (by Trip Advisor), and the ambiance of truly being an Adirondack Lodge. I know it is very confusing when motels and rooming houses call themselves Inns. Impersonal multimillion dollar national operations call themselves a Lodge and only GOD knows what a Hotel is? Also, isn’t it a fact that imitation is greatest form of a compliment. Red and Nan didn’t just quit their day jobs, they have been doing this all their lives!
The Paradox of this place is …you get the best appointed rooms, bedding to die for, gorgeous art work and Adirondack furniture actually crafted by your host! Only steps from main street Lake Placid , a gorgeous view of Whiteface Mountain , direct access to Lake Placid which is not readily available to the public. The personal attention of the proprietors, and five star dinning on the premises. It is no wonder Rachel Ray so strongly endorsed Paradox Lodge on her Tasty Travels show for FoodTV.
After a trip to the top of Whiteface why on earth would you want to stay in any other place? In a hotel when you close the door you could be in Any Town USA, but at the Paradox you know you are in the Adirondacks !!!!

Room Tip: Cedar lodge has a room with the most lux bathroom you have ever seen!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Eva H
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at Paradox Lodge in the fall with some friends to do some cycling in the Tri-Lakes area. It was a great location to base ourselves out of as there are many great rides of varying difficulty. After riding we returned to the lodge and enjoyed the comforts of the Cedar Lodge rooms including the Jacuzzi and wonderful shower. Then we got some cocktails from the bar and sat down by the edge of the lake where we enjoyed the view and the sunset. It was so peaceful and relaxing just to sit and watch the ducks float by.

We were fortunate to be able to have a seat at the bar for dinner and watch all of the appetizers and dinners being prepared as each item is cooked to order. All of the food is so fresh and prepared to perfection by Moses “Red” LaFountaine who is the chef and his staff. (Red and wife Nan are the owners of the lodge.)

After dinner we relaxed on the front porch with a glass of wine and finally turned in for the night. The beds are so comfortable you do not want to get out of them in the morning but a delicious breakfast was waiting for us. As with the evening meals, the breakfast is cooked to order. It was a full breakfast as opposed to cereal and muffins that I have had at other B & B’s.

Staying at Paradox Lodge was truly an experience that we are still talking about and we hope to be able to return and stay longer next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gibson23
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I travel to New England each fall to enjoy the beautiful leaves. My trip would not be complete without a stay at Paradox Lodge! The lodge is decorated in true Adirondack style, with loads of interesting items displayed throughout. Remember to ask the proprietors the history of the lodge. It's quite a story and the "before and after" photos will amaze you. I always request the Daisy Room, which is decorated in a warm and sunny yellow. It's comfortable and cozy and I sleep better there than I do at home! The rooms each have a private bath, which is not always the case at a B&B. Guests are invited to relax in the comfortable living room, where you can enjoy a drink by the fireplace or curl up with one of the many books guests may borrow. Don't miss the cooked-to-order breakfast when staying here. The food is excellent and the service is impeccable. It's a short walk to Main Street, where there are shops and boutiques galore. I look forward to my annual excursion, and my stay at Paradox Lodge is a high point.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in rooms in the main lodge, which are cozy and comfortable. I have toured the rooms in Cedar Lodge, which have more amenities - fireplaces, jetted tubs, etc. Each room is a little different - definitely not run-of-the-mill. You'll always remember your stay at Paradox Lodge as something very special!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Sheryl T
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in Paradox Lodge - Daisy Room in March 2012. It is a warm, cozy lodge with an old authentic charm to it. Daisy Room is on 1st floor of the house. The pictures of the web site depict the room very well. The bathroom is sectioned out of a corner of the bedroom , so it is rather small but hey, the lodge was built in 1899..!! The room has a full size bed only; that allows the opportunity to snuggle up closer to your partner..! The bed was comfortable, the quilt was soft & warm.
The owners run the restaurant downstairs. So, when we arrived, they were rather busy. We carried our luggage upstairs on our own and settled in. We came down for dinner later (reservations must be made earlier) and enjoyed a very nice meal. The food was tasty and the presentation had some style to it as well. Be ware that the portion size is rather generous, so, if you are a small eater like we are, consider sharing..!

The decor of the kitchen/ dining area is in keeping with the old cozy theme of the lodge.The kitchen opens into the dining area, thus, you can see the chef cooking and smell the nice aroma of the food. From what we heard, if you want to debate politics, the chef is game..!

Overall a pleasant experience.
Breakfast was good too

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SwatiMark
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My wife and I loved staying in the Cedar Lodge. The room was cozy and comfortable. And the breakfasts were were delicious.

• Stayed: February 2012