“very dirty”

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed July 21, 2008

this was the filthiest hotel we have ever stayed in. from an unvacuumed room, hair all over the bathroom, toothpaste on the sinks and counters, dirty linen, dust everywhere, and some other past guests leftovers and spills in the refrigerator. this just begins to explain our visit. director of housekeeping explained that there was new staff who didn't understand english. don't they inspect rooms before they put people in there? instead of making excuses, the filth should be cleaned. the entire hotel reeks of sloppy. bathrooms on the main floor were continually unkempt. the breakfast bar was absolute chaos - disorderly, food cold, and spills everywhere. obviously very understaffed with qualified employees. for the amount of money spent on a room, (by the way, the front desk supervisor tells you you can't cancel a day off your stay. she can tell my credit card company if i cancel that i agreed to stay for 2 days and i didn't inform them by 3 pm the previous day. If I would have KNOWN the previous day before I checked in, i would NOT have stayed!! anyway for the money it is NOT worth a dime. I cannot believe that Marriott has kept this hotel open with current running problems.

• Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank vac8ion4life

Reviewed July 17, 2008

Our reception was not very welcoming. The government rate which we booked on was challenged by the clerk on duty and then the manager. We are Marriott Vacation Club Owners and very loyal clients of the brand, nonetheless we were presented with a few different reasons why they wouldn't honor the rate, despite us having used it at other Marriott properties without any hassle. Finally after they could see how irritated we were they accepted it but warned us this would be the last time.

The rooms are nice as the property is new having opened in February 2007. The business centre is handy, however one of the computers was very slow.

The hotel itself is located about 1.5 miles from the village downtown on The Sentinel Road, with nothing around and not the most attrractive neighbourhood. However there is a convenient (free) shuttle bus that will take you to all the attractions.
Like all Marriott properties there was complimentary Barrister coffee ( I guess that's their house brand) also various teas. However the coffee was empty at certain times, but the staff was quick to replenish it. The coffee lids do not fit the cups and make it very difficult to transport to our rooms. The staff had acknowledged the problem.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank norman18
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I visited Lake Placid over Memorial Day weekend. With no real firsthand knowledge of the area, I booked this Courtyard based almost strictly on familiarity with the brand. As it turned out, this had the look and feel of a newer property, if not the newest in Lake Placid. Compared to what I saw of other properties in the surrounding area, the Courtyard seemed to be the only lodging where the traveler on a moderate budget could feel safe and enjoy your stay in a clean, comfortable setting.

It was not overly busy during my stay, though there were many people traveling with children, and yet it still felt very peaceful. There were a couple instances one night where loud conversations and idling cars in the nearby parking lot were all too audible through the thin walls, but otherwise the facility was quiet. The rooms and general property was very clean.

If I had any "complaint" about my stay, it was the seeming indifference of the hotel staff throughout. I don't expect much when I travel, but positive customer service is of particular interest to me. The front desk was situated so close to the main entrance that it was nearly impossible not to see guests come in and out, yet the staff would not acknowledge your presence at all. The servers during breakfast both days exuded a sense that they would rather be somewhere else. The best service I experienced was in the 30 seconds I stopped at the desk to check out in the morning, and by that point, that positive service almost felt like they were glad you were leaving.

Overall, I would recommend the property, because the positives for price, facility, safety, and comfort - in this one case - outweigh the indifferent customer service.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Generic90
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The desk staff is rude and ignorant. I am a Marriott Rewards customer and I have stayed at dozens of Courtyard by Marriott hotels throughout the US and the UK. I have never had a negative experience like this one. Corporate cannot believe that this is the proper way to treat customers, especially their most loyal!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Porsche_8
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Quite a new hotel, so clean and tidy. Great value breakfast and the short order chef was quick and competent. Housekeeping let them down a bit, no bedding for the sofa-bed when we arrived, and they forgot to replace the towels they took away. But these things were put right quickly. We'd splashed out on a suite, and it was worth it for the space. It's a bit out of town so you'll probably use your car a lot, but the trolley stops here so you don't have to. The pool looks nice but it's small and shallow so you can't swim much.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I went with my teens and another single mother with her teenager. We booked a suite which was huge - enough room for three sloppy teenagers to toss their stuff all around without driving us moms crazy falling over their crap! Plus, the mini kitchen area was terrific to keep them fed - handy microwave for popcorn, mini pizzas, etc. There's a supermarket in town with organic produce so we adults could find stuff to eat too, not just junk food. Non stop coffee/hot chocolate in lounge and lovely fireplace with games. Business center is good too - no problems uploading data for work (yeah, someone had to pay for the trip!).

The hotel is a little out of town, which I prefer. We were in Lake Placid for the President's week school break and picked it because Vermont is out of my price range. Lake Placid is fantastic. Lots to do - we saw the Harlem Globetrotters at the Herb Brooks arena (Miracle on Ice) for all five of us for less than what one ticket would have cost at Madison Square Garden. Kids did a luge run at the Olympic training center - all the Olympic facilities are great (no way Killington et.al. can compete) - great bragging rights for when they went back to school since this is only for the fearless (in other words, not for us 'un-cool' moms!).

Whiteface is the toughest mountain I've ever skied and we've done Whistler. Because it's so steep, fewer crazy skiers and out of control kids. In fact, for the most popular week of the year, the mountain did not seem all that crowded - you could actually traverse runs without having to worry about dodging a plethora of skiers. My friend's teen had never skied and I didn't have to worry about her on the slopes all week.

The entire town has a more serious skier atmosphere about it - not a bunch of trophy babes showing off their latest ski gear. Kind of like the difference between a KOA campground and a 'dig your own facilities' camp site - lots of noisy idiots at the first place, real nature lovers at the latter.

Shopping and restaurants in the middle fo town are a nice distraction - lots of cool gear for Bejing 2008 in the Olympic stores (nice to feel like my shopping dollars was contributing to our team! And made for more unusual souveniers). Most restaurants look out on the lake which was hard enough to walk across (impressed the New York Cityites in our midst). Plus 'dog-sledding' on the lake, but not the real dog-sledding that you can do in Canada, but good enough for a nice thing to do. Ice skating in the middle of town and at the Olympic arenas.

Only down side - parking is impossible on the only main street in town (go one block up to park on a parallel street). Would not want to stay at a hotel in the middle of the village - much too crowded. I was glad we were at the Marriott where we could zip in and out of a parking spot at all hours and it was much quieter at all times. Almost no bars in the middle of town - ideal as far as I was concerned, but definitely not a place for the partying crowd.

The staff was terrific at the Marriott - I agree with previous posts - Scott never seems to sleep. He's so peppy all the time. Don't understand the poster who complained about him talking as if he had too much coffee - sure beats dealing with a grumpy person any day!

For dinner, you have to try the Dinner Bell on Saranac Avenue. Place looks like nothing much, but service and food is fantastic and reasonable. Order the cheese fondue - it's incredible.

If you're in Lake Placid in winter, check out the ice castle in nearby Saranac Lake. Even my teens thought it was cool!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank WilPowerMom
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Visited Lake Placid this past week with my in-laws. We didn't realize that the area would be so busy and we had not made a reservation. Fortunately we were able to get 2 rooms for 4 days.

The accomodations were nice, obviously a new hotel with clean and spacious size rooms. The hotel staff were nice and helpful when asked about area attractions and events. The only downfall was that the hotel location is on the outskirts of town, a nice walk in the summer but too cold to walk this past week. A trolley was available but my in-laws were not interested in waiting for it in the cold. We opted to drive into town for our meals and entertainment. Lucky to find parking in the downtown parking lot and some restaurants on Main Street. All in all, a good experience.

Fun town with friendly people. I would definitely return to Lake Placid and this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family