“Cold and hungry”

Milano North
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: NYTimes recommended Northern Italian bistro seating 110 guests featuring open kitchen design to accommodate wood-fired oven pizzas, freshly-prepared homemade pastas and entrees using only the finest of local ingredients. Outdoor dining available with choice between patio dining and/or casual cocktails near an open fire pit with couches. Large party accommodations available with enclosure. Located in the heart of Lake Placid village, Milano North offers a warm and contemporary Adirondack ambience, overlooking Main St.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

After walking up and down the Main St we found that this place was our only choice off-season. We looked at Trip Advisor and the warning bells were ringing with all the bad reviews but we figured that with a couple of excellent to average reviews we might gets the odds and get a reasonable dinner. We were so hungry that we chanced it..... Bad move.

Initially it looked ok, it was a little cold in there, my wife left her scarf and coat on. Ordering a pepperoni pizza and spicy sausage pasta we thought it'd be a safe bet, wrong. My wife had one fork-full and couldn't eat hers. I didn't like the pizza but to be fair I did eat half of it as I was starving but the meat tasted of poor quality and the cheese left a bad taste in my mouth so for once in my life I didn't finish my pizza.

We asked for the bill and the waitress (who was nice) got the manager over as we hadn't really touched the food. He asked what was wrong with the food and I initially wanted to spare his feelings as he greeted us well as we walked in, so I just kept it simple by saying I just didn't like it. He didn't seem too happy with that and turned to my wife and asked her if she was able to express what exactly was wrong with hers. She had told me it tasted like dog food but, again, I asked her to spare his feelings. Instead she diplomatically said it didn't taste Italian, he said it was Northern Italian. We've traveled and work extensively in Italy and I can assure you, reader, it wasn't.

To his credit he took half off the bill, we left cold and hungry... When we got back to our hotel the manager said of all the restaurants in town that would be the last he would have sent us to... Enough said.

1  Thank RichieEng
There are newer reviews for Milano North

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Went here on a Monday evening in early November around 7:00 PM when we discovered our first choice restaurant for dinner was closed. The decision worked out well for us. Milano North is located on the second floor of a building beside the municipal parking lot on Main Street. Access is by a wooden staircase up to the outdoor patio from which there is an entranceway into the bar and restaurant. There is an elevator if you cannot do the stairs. Naturally, given the time of year and snowflakes in the air, the patio was closed. But the bar was also empty and there was only one other couple in the entire place. Two people were working in the open kitchen and our waitress seated us at the window overlooking the street and a building with a sign that said “With Pipe and Book”. Actually, with the falling snow, it was quite scenic. We ordered the roasted vegetables with spinach fusilli and the Italian sausage with rigatoni plus a bottle of “Earthworks”, an Australian Barossa Valley Shiraz. The wine arrived along with fresh warm bread in a basket and a bowl of olive oil w/pesto for dipping. Our main courses seemed a little slow in arriving given the lack of other diners but we happily sipped the wine which was excellent. When our meals did arrive, both dishes looked colorful and delicious. Our waitress offered us freshly grated cheese but not any freshly ground pepper. Overall, the taste was made-from-scratch, lightly spiced and the pasta al dente. We enjoyed every bite. We usually visit the Lake Placid area twice a year and will return to Milano again, probably for pizza.

1  Thank xygb7dklt
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went in Sept'12 and again in Oct'12, and both times had pizza. It was delicious - simply one of the best pizzas I have ever had. I had the Fico pizza, which has figs and prosciutto and is wood oven baked. Service was quick and efficient. I will be going back.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to Milano North for dinner and ordered a Roma Tomato with Linguini (extra grilled chicken) and Char grilled chicken alfredo with Pappradelle. The food arrived after 30 minutes, the chicken and the pasta was not cooked, no flavour, no taste. We complained to the waitress and she replied that she is sorry and that "she did not cook the meal". She spoke to the manager and cameback and gave us a 10% discount on the bill.She repeated that since she did not cook the meal she cannot do anything about it.

We left the restaurant hungry and not too happy!!

1  Thank Vazzir
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Milano North is a cute restaurant, where we dined in September, on two occasions. The first time, we had pizzas and beer and it was very good. The second visit, my order was totally wrong. The pasta dish wasn't done as described on the menu -- after sending back and waiting 15 minutes, the "correct" dish wasn't any good -- just boiled pasta with flavorless sauce and veggies. Server was nice about it and took off bill. Would recommend, but ONLY for pizza.