“Save your money”

Adirondack Scenic Railroad
Ranked #23 of 54 things to do in Lake Placid
More attraction details
Owner description: All aboard for the Adirondacks, travel through remote forests, past sparkling rivers, over bridges, tranquil ponds and streams, into the magnificent beauty of the six million acre Adirondack Park. Become a witness of nature's beauty and look out for the many animals and birds along the routes. Our train adventures offer many different scenic excursions departing from Utica's Union Station, Thendara Station near Old Forge, Saranac Lake Union Depot and Lake Placid Station. For more information on departures or for contact information please check out our website.
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I feel compelled to write to tell you of how disappointed I was in the fall foliage scenic railroad tour leaving out of Utica Union Station. I took the tour on October 16. Firstly, when I sat down in my ripped seat and looked out of the window in anticipation of seeing the fall foliage I was met with a plexiglass window that was so worn, filmy and scratched up that it was like looking through a steamed up shower door. On top of that, the molding to the window was gunky with black stuff dangling off that crumbled in my hands when I touched it. Nasty.
As we went along, we found that we could open the half window by sliding the windows over. This worked fairly well and we were able to peek out to see what we had been missing. Along came one of the vigilante volunteers and gave us a harsh demand to close the windows because the air conditioner was running and it was being overworked because of the open window.
We stood for a while, looking out at the upper half of the window,but only to see the backyards of shanty town USA, swamp land, and not much else to look at along this tour......a river here and there maybe. One of the volunteers suggested we go to the "open air car" where we could take some scenic pictures. The open air car turned out to be a some kind of cattle car with open doors.... metal fences to keep us from falling out.
Lunch car---ick. It was dirty. Empty boxes lined the old luggage racks above us. Yucky sandwiches on squishy bread.
Bathrooms stunk of urine.
And then we sat there on the tracks, and sat there and sat there and sat there......
I couldn't wait for the day to end. I could only hope that whatever money this railway line is making goes into installing new windows that the paying patrons can at least see whatever scenic scenes they're paying to see, and then I hope they start improving on the rest of everything else.

Best of luck.

7  Thank Judy B
There are newer reviews for Adirondack Scenic Railroad

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Enjoyed the scenery and commentary given by the staff as we rode through the mountains. This is a family type outing, so be prepared. There were a lot of families. But the staff make it clear the children have to behave.

It was very romantic ride.

1  Thank JenniferA6
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Yes the railway has mixed reviews but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We cant believe some people review this like its a Disney ride.

This is 100+ year old railway line that served a purpose in its former life. It runs through nice forested areas, beaver waterways and little townships.

Apart from one employee, the whole thing is run by volunteers. One gives a bit of a commentary out of Lake Placid which is interesting.

There is a food carriage that is good value. (try the roast beef open sandwich)

If you enjoy and appreciate an old train travelling through nice scenery, then do it.

If you're expecting a modern ride past tourist attractions then you should head towards Disneyland.

10  Thank kramer51b
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We recently went up to the area. We did the Wine and train trip on a Saturday evening. It was actually very nice. The train was almost full. They had entertainment which was very enjoyable and consisted of a man playing guitar and singing. It was a leisurely ride with some scenic overlooks, views and just regular countryside views you would have on a train ride. The wineries did a good job with selections. We got to do 3 different whites on the way out to Saranac station, and 3 reds on the trip back. They offered an assortment of cheese, crackers and pepperoni. The only suggestion to improve on what they are doing would have been some sampling of a desert with the last sweet red. They just kept offerring the same crackers, cheese and peperoni. Desert would be a bonus! There was ample time to walk around Saranac station but not alot to do there. It is approx 45 min ride to Saranac and then the same back. I think they gave you like 25 min at the station for layover. Also, the girl at the counter cust. service, was so accomodating and helpful on the phone and in person. She went above and behond to make it even better. They even helped arrange the singer to announce and sing happy birthday for my girlfriends surprise 50th! The people on the train were very nice and helpful and I asked them to make sure we could sing to her to remind them. The man and women serving the wines were knowledgable on the wines they were serving and very friendly. All in all I thought it was a good experience for couples, friends etc. Would not be for kids though.
I would recommend it if you are in the area and that time of day 5:30 ish was perfect.

3  Thank ETHELMAE11