All reviews memory foam redneck bistro turn of the century bed was very comfortable stayed nights lake hill
Selected filters
Reviewed December 10, 2014

The hotel is charming, we were there during a very down time of year. The price was certainly right. Rooms were pretty clean, the bathrooms could us a bit of an update but were pretty clean. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Even in the cold, the hotel is not far from all the shopping and dining in the Village.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2014

My husband and I flew to Lake Placid for a weekend getaway. I got our room quite cheap on the internet. The hotel is quaint and very comfortable. Our room was clean and homey and the bed was very comfortable. We had no extras, room service etc. and the bar down stairs was closed for the season but we wanted a place to sleep and come back to after shopping and dining and drinking in Lake Placid and that we got.
The only complaint that we had was when we got up in the morning after a night on the town there was no coffee waiting in the Reception Room. We waited around until 9am and finally packed our things for our trip home and took the Trolley to a diner for food and coffee.
The hotel is close to down town and the free Trolley runs all day until 10pm for pick up and drop off any where in town.

Date of stay: August 2014
1  Thank NYsunseeker
Reviewed October 14, 2014

First, we'd not been to this inn over 15 years - when it was St-Mortiz - even then it had a quaintness about it (no working elevator back then as well) - it was just very down to earth.

Fast forward to 2014, we work w/e's - so taking a nice break during the fall foliage season when rates are high - it make a diff when coming in during the week. Rather then head back to Plattsburgh (ugh - city) - we decided to just show up the front door - and ask for a Room With A View. Jill was very accommodating - patient with me - while I went on and on about the former St-Mortiz (ask her about the history - it's amazing - the Pine's Inn is the original name which I didn't know).

She said there had been a few improvements over the years - so we signed in. Because I'm sensitive to noise - we didn't take the original room - 4 poster bed - burgundy décor - very posh - the noise from the now very busy front street compared to 15 years ago due to development - would make for a rotten sleep for me.

We went back down - explained the dilemma - and she immediately set us up in a room at the back ... peaceful ... not quite as posh (it's still being finished) - but the awesome thing was ... the bed ... it's not your usual squeaky bed springs that we had back in the good old days. This is one of those foam beds (I'm wording this wrong - but I know they're not cheap) - that basically allowed me to sleep so well that night.

So putting aside the few little things in the room, which frankly didn't make much of a diff to my stay there. Don't be afraid to stay there. The price at the time for us - midweek - just by dropping by was I think $70 - w/e's were about $130 (don't quote me here - I'm menopausal right now - brain works - then doesn't).

No breakfast is served anymore - but rather than go to Starbucks - hit the little coffee/art shop that's just down the hill before you get into the touristy area of Lake Placid. They do bang up breakfast - great Americano - couldn't ask for better.

The only downer was - Jill had never mentioned about the hot tub. I discovered it on my own the next day - which if we'd been staying another day - would have been nice to have used the night before (when I asked Jill about it - it's open until I believe 10 at night). So next time, after we've done a hike or a ski down the bunny hill (that's me - my DH is the more experienced skier) - we'll take up on relaxing our muscles abit.

I'd say that Jill and her DH are doing an excellent job of restoring it (the previous owners when they sold it to them - took off with various pieces - that they've had to replace - cha ching). If you aren't expecting the Taj Mahal - or chocolates on your pillow - or a spa (BTW - I left without buying one of their nice robes - at $25 USD - what a steal - and very posh in my eyes).

It's funny - as I'm typing this out - seeing another TripAdvisor - MatthewJPeacock saying that they'd been there 15 years ago - and yes - memory foam beds .... that's what they're called.

Reviewed October 13, 2014

Good location, just off the main drag and Mirror Lake, and nice public spaces, but we experienced so many drawbacks that I cannot recommend the Inn. First, there is no elevator -- we had to walk FIVE full flights of stairs (which became ever narrower) from the parking lot to our room. Renovation was going on in the hallway immediately outside our room, with exposed insulation in the ceiling and patched and unpainted walls. The room itself was spacious and had a lovely view, but there was no chair and no luggage rack, which was quite annoying. While there were some nice touches (e.g., marble floor in the bathroom and nice beds), most of the building materials were decidedly cheap, including the flimsy window blinds, all of which were broken or dysfunctional in one way or another. The wifi internet connection is so slow as to be useless, even for checking email. Our hosts were pleasant and helped carry up our suitcases, but were entirely absent when we checked out so we had to lug the suitcases downstairs ourselves. I understand that Lake Placid is expensive in the fall foliage season, but surely you should get more than this for $172 a night!! Judging from other postings, your experience at the Pine is a game of Russian roulette, with the outcome depending on what room you have been assigned.

Room tip: Ask for a lower floor unless you want a whole lot of exercise! Even the first-floor rooms require two flights of steps (one from the parking lot to the ground floor and a second from the ground floor to the first floor).
5  Thank Wanderlust777
Reviewed October 12, 2014

This was the first time I have stayed here in 15 years. The name has changed and the rooms have improved greatly. They were very clean and the beds were very comfortable memory foam style beds. There is a new hot tub and sauna in the downstairs area. The price is great for Lake Placid and its in walking distance of the downtown area. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I will stay here again. Please give a helpful vote if this review was helpful.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends