“Disappointing birthday dinner”

Ranked #42 of 105 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

When our group of foodies and restaurant owners arrived, we instantly noticed how empty the place was on a Saturday. Strike #1. We had an 8pm reservation and were celebrating two 40th birthdays (which I had mentioned when I called). Our group of 10 stood in the foyer for 10 minutes before a waiter walked by and asked if we needed something. Um... Strike #2. We sat and ordered a bottle of red wine. Waitress uncorked a Chardonnay. Strike #3. In general, the waitress was noticeable frazzled and somewhat unkept. Foie Gras was inedible and escargot was dry and served in phyllo cups. Most appetizers went into the garbage. The spinach salad with macadamia nuts and the warm bread were the best aspects of the meal. As for the main meals.... Two steaks were severely undercooked. One person ordered the filet medium rare and the inside was purple. It was sent back. I ordered the ribeye medium and it was nearly rare. I ate three bites and quit. Others ordered the land and air trottole but found this very brown dish to contain mystery meat instead of duck and beef. It became a game trying to guess what the meat was. Last strike! Ultimately no one ordered dessert. Our bill was $1,000.

As we left, the waitress said bye and offered "wasn't it someone's birthday?"

The meal was a failure. The service was lacking. I wish we had gone someplace else to celebrate such a big occasion.

2  Thank stl_locavore

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We enjoyed a lovely dinner here over the holidays with family and friends. It is a beautiful, antique-filled inn with ample dining space spread out over several rooms. Service was friendly and professional, and the meal was well paced. The chef sent out a duck sample that was fantastic! Our girls loved the potato soup. The salads were bright and refreshing. The steaks, salmon and scallops were perfectly cooked and delicious. The phyllo wrapped creme brûlée was something we have never seen before and it was really good. The star of the dessert course, however, was their homemade double chocolate chip cookies. YUM! Overall, the Interlaken provides a delicious meal in beautiful setting in a quiet location off of Main Street. We'll be back!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wow! We hit the jackpot! Wonderful, wonderful. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the Chicken Pot Pie. We loved this place. Service isn't "perfection" but they are very friendly and accommodating. You'll love it! We did.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We scheduled a holiday gathering for 21 of us at the Interlaken Restaurant. A beautifully decorated room off the main entrance made for a perfect setting for our group. It was a Thursday night when they offer a "small plate" special. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. I tried a scallop dish, a shepard's pie and a superb halibut. A few people in our party ordered the warm cookies for dessert. They come out from the kitchen, a dozen to a platter, perfect for passing around the table. For the quality of food, the setting and the service, we felt the price was very reasonable. The wait staff even handled multiple checks with ease and efficiency. It was a perfect evening for our holiday party. We will definitely come back again.

1  Thank Annette C
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We found the layout of the restaraunt was different but very inviting. We elected to eat just off the bar area which had a different menu than the main dining room. Server was very knowledgeable, experienced and friendly. My wife had the veal scalloppini and I had a veal chop. The veal chop was prepared as well as I have ever eaten. Since we were eating with another couple we ordered wine by the glass. Everyones selection was delicious. Our waiter gave us a tour of the building after dinner.

1  Thank paul3874