“Great Hotel, Loved every minute!!!”

The Whiteface Lodge
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the lodge for 2 nights in a deluxe one bedroom. The room was absolutely beautiful, it had heated bathroom floors, fireplace, king bed, jacuzzi tub for 2 and much more. We had a great view of the courtyard which had a fountain. The breakfast buffet was plenty and had a very nice selection of food. We had dinner at Kanu, which was good, could have been better for the prices, and the service in the dining room could use some minor improvement, but overall I would dine there again. The pool area was great, the pool was heated and the outside air was very cool so it was nice, the hottub was great also. The hotel was always spotless and the staff is great. The lounge is a great area to have lunch and a drink, oversized couches and fireplace. I would love to go back to this place.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nifty382
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed September 26, 2008

Stayed at the Whiteface lodge for 2 nights. It is an amazing property! We stayed in a deluxe one bedroom room and it was absolutely massive.
The property is Adirondack themed throughout and the lobby, exterior & all guest rooms are styled in this way with every attention made to detail. It would be an absolutely magical place during Winter. The cleanliness & quality of the property is impeccable and service is discreet & efficient.
Bonus features we weren't expecting were in room washing machine (very appreciated after using laundrettes on our road trip!) and free internet access near the games room. We stayed during September and it was very quiet & peaceful. Didn't use the pool facilities but they looked very inviting (both indoor & outdoor pool). Ice rink was closed. Room service meals & dinner in Kanu / breakfasts were all of high quality. King bed in room absolutely wonderful & comfortable.
Free shuttle into Lake Placid - our driver gave us a free tour of the town which was unexpected & lovely.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed at the Whiteface Lodge in mid-August. Myself, wife, and 4 kids in age from 10 to infant. I would say that this is a good mix of families and couples but leaning more toward families. Facilities were great, The kids loved the pool and game room as well as the lakefront area which is a very short shuttleride (free) away. One thing I must add since the previous poster mentioned unruly children. There was quite a few of them. This is certainly not a forum for bad parenting or unruly children but it seems many parents these days have no consideration for other hotel guests anymore. They let their kids run through the halls and scream in the lobby or scream in the pool while other guests are there to relax. Nothing wrong with kids having a good time but sometimes kids needed to be reigned in a bit and reminded that they are not at home and there are others to be considerate of.

I am certainly conscious of this and my kids know to behave in public places and still have a great time. We get complimented all the time and I think the kids are more proud than we are when a stranger comes up and says how well behaved they are. Anyway, back to the hotel. I would not make it a 5 star hotel even though it is the best in the area. Its a great, well appointed, clean, upscale place but 5 star or LHOTW, I am not really sure. The Restaurant Kanu was wonderful. We ate there twice for dinner and twice for lunch and enjoyed every meal. I will say that the staff is most definitely 5 star, however. In fact, I have stayed at a few 5 stars that had 2 star staffing. I did not run across a single staff member that was not smiling and friendly and eager to please. I even witnessed several guests who were being downright nasty and condescending to some staff and they handled it very professionally. I would have probably sluuged them in the teeth for treating me that way if I were them. Guess that why I dont work in that bisiness !

My wife and I enjoyed the Spa which was clean and well appointed. The staff at the spa was great too. The waterside staff was very accomodating and helpful which made our day.

I could rant further but I will end and say this family of 6 had a great time and would definitlely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank gdf
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I just returned from two nights at the Whiteface Lodge. The hotel is gorgeous, immaculate and the service is fabulous. The staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating.

We stayed in a junior suite and it was beautiful. The room and balcony were both very large. The bed was very comfy and there were tons of extra pillows stashed in the drawers. The bathroom was a good size and the heated floors and jacuzzi tub were great touches. There was also a washer/dryer combo in the bathroom closet but the handle was broke..we did not need it but it could be an extra benefit if you are minimal packers. The nightly turndown service provided bottled water and delicious giant chocolate chip cookies.

Kanu restaurant was fantastic though a little overpriced (try the white chocolate banana cream pie for dessert - you won't be disappointed). The breakfast buffet that was included in our room rate was great. We were not expecting much since it was "free" but were both very pleasantly surprised.

We both had 80 minutes massages. My husband had the deep tissue and I had the Whiteface Special. My husband said it was the best massage he ever had and I too was very pleaed. I also got a pedicure but was not overly impressed with it and would not recommend that particular service.

The only complaint we had was the amount of children staying here. We do not have a problem with children at all but we do have a problem with unattended or misbehaved ones and that is what we encountered here. There was a lot of running through the halls and even in the dining room. With the price we paid per night we were shocked at the amount of families staying here (after staying there we realized that this hotel is very family oriented).

We will definitely stay here again but mid week when the kids are back at school or at the Mirror Lake Inn which does not cater to families and is ALWAYS quiet.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank NYBeachLover
Reviewed July 25, 2008

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and while you might pay big bucks to stay at the Whiteface Lodge, it's worth every penny. The suites are truly a home away from home, and the service, especially the extraordinary housekeeping staff, is top-flight. It's a great jumping off point for exploring the Adirondack region, and after a day of hiking mountain trails, there's nothing like hitting the in-suite jacuzzi to relax you. The only caveat I'd offer is that the restaurant is a bit overpriced, despite the excellent food and service.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Legroom
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This place is just phenomenal. From the the rustic luxury of the all suite accommodations to the friendly and helpful staff, it was all pleasure from beginning to end. Now, granted, it was a sort of buffer between a week of camping (which included black flies the likes of which even the locals hadn't seen before and a second degree burn) and the real world, so I may be biased. But the massage at the spa, the in-suite dinner, the turn down service, the breakfast. . . the delights to the senses never stopped.
Expensive, yes. But in our opinion, very worth the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed July 4, 2008

This is a very impressive resort. And while we thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay , there were 2 big compliants: (1) there is no real table sitting area for the "free" breakfeast buffett (they will not let you sit in main restaurant (which was basically empty) unless you order something a la carte) ... why they would bother with this is beyond me ??? and (2) they charged an apparently disclosed $18 per person per day "activity fee" (which adds up for a party of 4 over 3 nights) ---- and in addition they surprise you with a $50 per day per child fee at the end of your stay ... nice touch !!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family